Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Fairfax County VA - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fairfax County VA (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-12-2011

[quote name='photo5' timestamp='1315859763' post='456497']

Does anyone happen to have any photos of any of the FFx Co units operating on 9-11 2001 at the Pentagon? I saw on Engine 419 somewhere but that was about it. The ones I mainly see are of National Airport Foam Unit or DC units. I believe FFx was well represented at the crash site. Also looking for a photo of the old station 1 and current station 404 before its rebuilt.

Thanks in advance and God Bless all the brave FFs and EMS personel in FFx that doe there jobs day in and day out

dave

[/quote]

Mclean VFD old station

unknown photographer

[quote name='photo5' timestamp='1315859763' post='456497']

Does anyone happen to have any photos of any of the FFx Co units operating on 9-11 2001 at the Pentagon? I saw on Engine 419 somewhere but that was about it. The ones I mainly see are of National Airport Foam Unit or DC units. I believe FFx was well represented at the crash site. Also looking for a photo of the old station 1 and current station 404 before its rebuilt.

Thanks in advance and God Bless all the brave FFs and EMS personel in FFx that doe there jobs day in and day out

dave

[/quote]

Mclean VFD's second house

Unknown photographer

[quote name='maximsnorkel27' timestamp='1315863650' post='456505']

\

Dave, here's a shot of Herndon VFD before it was rebuilt, probably taken sometime around '68 or '69. It was still a vollie station at the time and my grandfather Jack and uncles Richard and Tim worked out of the house (both uncles went on to become career FFX firefighters, both retired now - Richard is the owner of Roto-Rays. My cousin "Scotty", Richard's son, is currently a Lt. on FFX).

Note Herndon's gorgeous Wagon 4, a '68 Ford C/Young (prior to the reflective striping being added along the lower portion of the body - which leads me to believe it's an early photo in '68 not long after it's delivery... not sure exactly what year the stripes were added - and LONG before it's repaint into county colors in '77 when station operations were turned over to them), their classic '61 Seagrave K Model engine and '66 Pontiac ambulance

The Seagrave was sold to another department in the state, the disposition of the Pontiac is unknown to me, and unfortunately, that classic Ford/Young was one of several FFX apparatus sold and shipped to the Dominican Republic in the early eighties and may not even exist anymore. I'd give anything to know if it's still around.

All of the other Ford C/Young open cabs built during that period that served around the D.C. area - '65 Navy-Vale, '68 Sarah-Zane, '67 Clinton, MD - still exist and have been restored. The one that started it all, the '64 from Clinton, MD was destroyed in a wreck and replaced by the '67.

Unknown photographer, all photo credit belongs to them.

[/quote]

I heard that FS404 will be rebuilt soon with a parking garage under the firehouse. I may have heard that wrong since that sounds weird but I know they have been trying to relocate the firehouse to make it better and bigger for a while. if you know any additional please share.

Thanks for the 2 photos

dave

[quote name='rpfleer' timestamp='1315867465' post='456529']

Mclean VFD old station

unknown photographer

[/quote]

Thanks for that classic shot just whatI was looking for. I thought they had an older station that I didn't have a photo of. Thanks for sharing.

dave

Fairfax County VA - FfxCo21V - 09-13-2011

for Photo 5

Yes, FS 4 is going to be rebuilt in it's current location with underground parking. There is no planned start date for them or FS 10.. I heard from both stations they are getting FS 12's temporary quarters. That raises questions. FS 4 is to relocate across the street durring construction and temp FS 10 will be about 1/2 mile farther down Columbia Pike.

I will post updates as I find out.

note to Paul: FS 21 is undergoing a major renovation. County PD will have a new two story facility in back extending out into their old cruiser parking lot.

Bruce

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-13-2011

Thanks for the info......

dave

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-14-2011

so has anyone been to fairfax to shoot lately? I was there yesterday and for the most part everyone was very cool and willing to move rigs around for us

Fairfax County VA - lawrencewhite111 - 09-14-2011

I was there 2 weeks ago and visited & photographed about 18 stations.I met some very nice and cooperative folks who went out of their way for photos.ILL be back in October for the stuff I missed.

Fairfax County VA - davebowen - 09-14-2011

[quote name='emtbummie' timestamp='1316022216' post='456665']

so has anyone been to fairfax to shoot lately? I was there yesterday and for the most part everyone was very cool and willing to move rigs around for us

[/quote]

I WAS THERE EARLIER THIS YEAR. NO PROBLEMS AT ANY STATION I WENT TO.

Fairfax County VA - lawrencewhite111 - 09-14-2011

Any have photos of old station 412 in Great Falls before they tore it down?

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-14-2011

I havent had time to get this stuff up on my thread yet but here are my favorites from yesterdays trip.

THE MEDICAL AMB BUS

[Image: IMG_8136.jpg]

THE MAB SUPPORT UNIT

[Image: IMG_8368.jpg]

BOAT 414

[Image: IMG_8319.jpg]

FOAM 437

[Image: IMG_8684.jpg]

FINALLY HAZMAT 440

[Image: IMG_8762.jpg]

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-15-2011

Nice stuff! Anything else from 435 when you were there to get the Medical Care Support Unit?

dave

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-16-2011

To start to answer my question on what FFX units responded on 9-11-01 to the Pentagon I went back and check my fire photo CDs and video caps I took off of TV on 9-11 and 9-12...... Units I can see are

426 either its a Medic or Ambulance

VATF-1 tractor trailer

L/A 431, 413

E419

FCPD Command Center Unit

dave

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-17-2011

dave,

yes I do have photos from 435 they are in my thread and on my website

Fairfax County VA - FfxCo21V - 09-17-2011

these 3000 words are for Paul. I will post regular updates.    

photo 2

photo 3

Fairfax County VA - Fire28 - 09-17-2011

Ok so where is the Pd parking all the cruisers and dive unit and the other stuff that use to sit in that lot?

Fairfax County VA - FfxCo21V - 09-18-2011

Tim,

Construction started by removing about 100 feet of the hill and tree line behind the fuel pumps. The number of PD vehicles parked there has been reduced to about half and they along with PD's POV's now park in a secured lot in this new area. Firefighters POV's are parked in the hotel lot on the west side of the station. We now have a service road on the west side (BC corner) into the back which is where pic 1 was taken.

Outside construction is to be finished before winter and they will start on the inside. Not sure yet how much of the PD side fire will get. Improvments include, expanding the half bay to a full drivethrough, a larger female bunkroom, gear storage and upgraded laundry facilities. With all of this I haven't heard of the vollies getting any more rooms or space.

Bruce

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 09-18-2011

Great photos of FS421

dave