Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
St. Louis Metro - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: St. Louis Metro (/showthread.php?tid=2077)

St. Louis Metro - ben_mazanec - 05-30-2011

Relaxing area...

St. Louis Metro - ben_mazanec - 05-30-2011

Last shot of the day! Hope everyone enjoyed even though i posted a lot!

St. Louis Metro - DaveYoung - 05-30-2011

Great shots Ben. Don't think I've ever seen a platform with 3 monitors, but it looks well-planned for sure. Thanks for posting all of these.

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 05-30-2011

great pictures ben tks.

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 05-30-2011

Nice very nice, thank you. I cannot wait to see the new rigs next year.

On a side not Ben would you please pm me.

St. Louis Metro - Juice - 05-31-2011

Wow that shop looks very, very cramped for all of those trucks. Thanks for the more pictures of it.

Trav!

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 05-31-2011

Nice pics Ben. What determines if a truck is sent to the FD shops or to the Metro garage?

St. Louis Metro - ben_mazanec - 05-31-2011

well the 2's quint is there to be striped and sent back to smeal for refurb. all mechanical and other problems go to the metro garage. My dad is the one who maintains pike poles, axes, lightboxes, saws, hose, etc... That is the only reason why they go to the shops. I think they still do work on the medic units also...

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 06-01-2011

Correct Ben. They still work on the Medic Units. However, the word is that the Medic Units will be sent to 1900 Hampton, where all city vehicles (trash, water, forestry, etc.) are maintained; sometime this summer. What will come of the shop, I don't know. Maybe they will get rid of the warehouse on Goodfellow and store stuff at the current shop.

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 06-01-2011

So what is the new pumper list? 1, 2, 8, 28, 31, 32, and H&L 2. Were are the other 3 going and does any one know the Quints (7) and what H&L ladder are going for rebuild?

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 06-02-2011

Partial list of new rigs

Engine 1 *

Engine 2 *

Engine 8 *

Engine 24 *

Engine 26

Engine 28 *

Engine 31

Engine 32 *

Hook&Ladder 2

Hook&Ladder 5 *

Hook&Ladder 6 *

* Notes new rigs that are on the track.

There is one more engine...drawing a blank where its going (23s maybe?). Another waive of 9 are coming. Supposedly this time next year, all the Reserve Pierce and LTI rigs will be gone.

Everything is going to Nebraska (Smeal HQ) for refurb. Quints will come back as "Trucks" and will be frontline rigs for the companies that are not getting straight pumpers.

what new trucks and pumpers are in service now?

read my post right before yours...

I guess I should define "On the track"

In the StLouis Fire Department that phrase means working in the firehouse. It can refer to a firefigter or a piece of equipment. If a FF is on light duty due to an injury we say "He/she is off the track" and/or when assigned back to a fire company "They are back on the track". The same with apparatus.

This term orginated from the horse and buggy days. In each firehouse there was a set of flat steel tracks where the apparatus would sit. They were about 12" wide and 4'-5' long. This is so the crew would place the rig in the same spot every time so when the bell hit, the horses would step in front of the rig and the harnesses could be dropped perfectly making a faster turn out.

You can visit the quarters of Engine Co. 13 where there is still a set of tracks in the floor where Medic13 sits.

St. Louis Metro - MFD76 - 06-02-2011

[quote name='StLFF34' timestamp='1307067389' post='442450']

read my post right before yours...

I guess I should define "On the track"

In the StLouis Fire Department that phrase means working in the firehouse. It can refer to a firefigter or a piece of equipment. If a FF is on light duty due to an injury we say "He/she is off the track" and/or when assigned back to a fire company "They are back on the track". The same with apparatus.

This term orginated from the horse and buggy days. In each firehouse there was a set of flat steel tracks where the apparatus would sit. They were about 12" wide and 4'-5' long. This is so the crew would place the rig in the same spot every time so when the bell hit, the horses would step in front of the rig and the harnesses could be dropped perfectly making a faster turn out.

You can visit the quarters of Engine Co. 13 where there is still a set of tracks in the floor where Medic13 sits.

[/quote]

Great history piece thanks for sharing!!! Wichita, KS still refers to the machines as on or off track when they are in or out of service. They also refer to the rigs as machines in casual convrsation. I am sure thiere is historical meaning behind the term also.

Stay safe,

Rick

St. Louis Metro - ben_mazanec - 06-03-2011

Engine 23 is the last one. and Engine 31 went into service today!

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 06-05-2011

How long will it take before the first of the refurbished Smeal quints are back in St. Louis? I'm assuming a few months, but any near exact dates?

St. Louis Metro - ben_mazanec - 06-05-2011

I have no clue as to when the quints will return. I do know that they will be Red over black and probably get Q2b sirens new lights just for the cosmetic side... everything will be refurbed! I will have to ask my dad when he gets back from his bi-annual fishing trip with my uncle...

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 06-05-2011

Smeal reps told us that they can turn a rig around in 100 days. All rigs going to the black over scheme. When all said and done from paint to upolstry, wiring, hydraulics, motor, tranny...they will basically be brand new rigs for fraction of the price

St. Louis Metro - Guest - 06-06-2011

Heres a bad pic of Rock Hill's new rig

Rock Hill FD

Pumper Rescue 3414

2011 Rosenbauer

St. Louis Metro - MFD76 - 06-06-2011

[quote name='SLCPDEXPLORER' timestamp='1307410311' post='443105']

Heres a bad pic of Rock Hill's new rig

Rock Hill FD

Pumper Rescue 3414

2011 Rosenbauer

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=75171]

[/quote]

Nice rig, Sadly I saw the EX U-City Seagrave for sale on Gov Deals.