Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Fairfax County VA - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fairfax County VA (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 01-30-2012

[quote name='Good2Go' timestamp='1327945269' post='472973']

Current Brush 412 - with boat in tow

[/quote]

Nate, Do you happen to know what unit that is to the right of the picture? Thanks.

Tim, it was sunny today so I got a shot of the entire house (would have gotten some rig shots but pressed for time)

BBR411 - I believe it to be a vollie chiefs buggy. Will confirm soon.

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 01-30-2012

Foam 426 was never designed to be driven on the long road trips it would make monthly to the Fire & Rescue Academy (FRA) for the monthly hazmat drills or the trips to BWI and elsewhere for flammable liquids training exercises. It's my understanding most of the bigger ARFF rigs are designed for a short sprint at the airport to the crash site on the airport proper or not too far away. They are not designed for long, over the road trips that this unit frequently made (3 shifts = 3 round trips to the FRA) for the monthly hazmat drills. It had to be taken to the FRA with the crew from FS26 in case there was a call where it was needed. It did make a few mutual aid responses into the District of Columbia for the tire warehouse fire and a few helicopter standby's at the Naval Observatory.

TRSU 418 (Jefferson)

Inside TRSU 418

Safety Officer 402

Side note about the new Medic unit for FS412, It will be the first medic unit in the county made by Braun. I believe the county has 3-4 on order from them but M412 will be the test piece.

Fairfax County VA - mnsand - 01-30-2012

[quote name='Good2Go' timestamp='1327950179' post='472994'] Former Foam 426 - stripped down and ready to be sold [/quote]

I am sorry to see this one go. One of the more unique fire trucks that was placed into service in Fairfax County. I hope the Manassas rumor is correct. It would be nice to see it stay in service in Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Fairfax County VA - Fire28 - 01-30-2012

Yes. And it would make for the first one that airport has had correct?

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 01-31-2012

T[quote name='Tim' timestamp='1327980423' post='473069']

Yes. And it would make for the first one that airport has had correct?

[/quote]

Manasass is building a new station closer to the airport. Apparatus lineup pending.

[quote name='mnsand' timestamp='1327980121' post='473067']

I am sorry to see this one go. One of the more unique fire trucks that was placed into service in Fairfax County. I hope the Manassas rumor is correct. It would be nice to see it stay in service in Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Agree 100%

Fairfax County VA - Engine410kid - 01-31-2012

[quote name='bigbadred411' timestamp='1327977396' post='473062']

Side note about the new Medic unit for FS412, It will be the first medic unit in the county made by Braun. I believe the county has 3-4 on order from them but M412 will be the test piece.

[/quote]

Matt, Medic 12 will not be the test piece because it is built on a ford F series chassis. The county is doing 3 rigs one at a faster pace than the others and will then decide if they like the design at the half way point of the first one if they wanna change anything for the rest. Also the rig on the side of the brush is a chief/boat support unit.

12's current Medic rig is definitely past it's prime

Fairfax County VA - Roto-Ray - 01-31-2012

[quote name='Engine410kid' timestamp='1327984152' post='473080']

Matt, Medic 12 will not be the test piece because it is built on a ford F series chassis.

[/quote]

Wanted to see if I'm reading this right - I know that FXCO has selected Braun as their new manufacturer, I hadn't heard that the first one they're doing is on an F-chassis. Is that right? If so, I have some phone calls to make (good ones!).

Fairfax County VA - Engine504Driver - 01-31-2012

[quote name='Good2Go' timestamp='1327982787' post='473076']

T

Manasass is building a new station closer to the airport. Apparatus lineup pending.

[/quote]

Nate, who gave you the info about building a new station? and where are they building it? there's really no available real estate along Route 28 to build it between the current station and the airport, unless it's an airport-specific station.....just sayin

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 01-31-2012

i will ask about the Braun chassis but it will take a few days since I am out of town on a mini-vacation.

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 01-31-2012

Okay, I did work related email on my vacation.

The Horton contract expired in 2010. There will be 3 Braun ambulances built on International 4300 chassis for Fairfax County. Some volunteer companies are adding on to the order but with a chassis choice of their own.

Fairfax County VA - stokess - 01-31-2012

The volunteers at 12 are buying a new medic and it will be a Braun on an F chassis, I think 4WD (I had the spec around here at one time). They want to keep the existing M412 and make it A412 or M412B/E (They have a couple of volie ALS providers at 12).

My understanding is the County has apparently purchased 3 4300 series International chassis Brauns. For what stations or what timeline I don't know. I have the current drawings of those for review. There is no cost savings as compared to the last order of M2's with Horton bodies.

And all of these will not be the first Brauns in the County, V201 (A402) is a Braun on a C3500 Chevy chassis. It was a demo and is an odd beast but it does the job.

[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1327986511' post='473082']

Wanted to see if I'm reading this right - I know that FXCO has selected Braun as their new manufacturer, I hadn't heard that the first one they're doing is on an F-chassis. Is that right? If so, I have some phone calls to make (good ones!).

[/quote]

We're seeing a great deal of interest in the Ford F-Series in the Maryland/Delaware market. We've got a F-450 demo and it rides like a Cadillac. It's definitely the hot chassis right now.

Jeff Hawkins

[quote name='Engine504Driver' timestamp='1327990352' post='473089']

Nate, who gave you the info about building a new station? and where are they building it? there's really no available real estate along Route 28 to build it between the current station and the airport, unless it's an airport-specific station.....just sayin

[/quote]

Chris, I emailed a friend who is career with the city and he responded...

"That has been the plan for 10 years now..thats nothing new..we got the number for it around 01..station 21..i will believe it when i see the ground breaking or plans or land ..lololol"

Haha. So don't hold your breath!