Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-03-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='145646' date='Sep 2 2007, 20:41 ']Chesapeake's Engine 7 crew is working on rehabing an old 1965 Mack C. The Mack C cab is really looking nice and the body is outside awaiting work. Should be a beautiful piece when completed.

Also sitting out back of Station 7 is this piece - anyone have information on this truck?

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike;

The Mack is originally from Va Beach. It ended service in the early 90's as Reserve Engine-4. Both of the old rigs at Sta 7 are owned by the Lt on 7B.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-03-2007

[quote name='Fire175' post='145744' date='Sep 3 2007, 09:32 ']Mike;

The Mack is originally from Va Beach. It ended service in the early 90's as Reserve Engine-4. Both of the old rigs at Sta 7 are owned by the Lt on 7B.[/quote]

I am trying to post the original factory pic of the Mack. Which was one of 3 delivered to the City of Va.Bach in 1965.

The Mack that is being restored was owned by the Chesapeake Beach Vol. fire Dept. came with a Mack gas Thermodine engine. The engine was replaced with a detroit deisel in the 70's when the city converted the fleet to deisel engines. This mack stayed a Co.4 til she was retired to training in the 1980's. This truck was a workhorse and saw alot of activity while in frontline service.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-04-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='119283' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:54 ']I would like to see it in white and orange.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike,

I'm slow (Sorry), but finally found the photo of the Marion PW-Panel in two tone colors. This was taken at the local Wal-Mart, don't remember the year.

Always enjoy all your photos, keep me posted on the Dodge trucks you find.

Take Care,

Nollie

PS - This is pre digital, so not to sharp

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 09-13-2007

[quote name='Nollie Neill Jr' post='146001' date='Sep 4 2007, 17:15 ']Mike,

I'm slow (Sorry), but finally found the photo of the Marion PW-Panel in two tone colors. This was taken at the local Wal-Mart, don't remember the year.

Always enjoy all your photos, keep me posted on the Dodge trucks you find.

Take Care,

Nollie

PS - This is pre digital, so not to sharp[/quote]

Nollie,

This is really nice. I appreciate you posting the photo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 09-21-2007

I had had some interesting trips through Virginia the last several weeks. I will add to this thread during the next several days.

A variety of Mack Granite fire apparatus have showed up in the state recently. I know you have probably seen the posts of Fairfax County's two new tankers. Here is my photo of Fairfax County Tanker 441, which will run from Fairfax County's newest fire station at Crosspointe.

Fairfax County, VA

Crosspointe Station

Tanker 441

2007 Mack Granite/Pierce

1000/3000

job number 19061-02

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Another new Mack Granite tanker has recently been placed into service at Clear Brook, Virginia. Clear Brook is in Frederick County just outside of Winchester.

Clear Brook, VA

Frederick County

Tanker 13

2006 Mack Granite/2007 Semo

1000/3500

Tanker 13 carries two 1 3/4 crosslays, 3 inch supply line, and two 2100 gallon drop tanks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Forgot to mention the dual Roto-Rays on the front of Tanker 13.

Here is the side, showing the interesting water level indicator lights.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Rear shot of Tanker 13. Interesting way the emergency lights and scene lights are placed on the Mack.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is what the Mack Granite tanker has replaced. I photographed Clear Brook's old tanker where it sat - now outside in the parking lot. It is for sale.

Clear Brook, VA

old Tanker 13

1985 Western Star/Grumman

1000/2500

Grumman s/n 17322

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 09-21-2007

I have been waiting all week for you to return home. Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thanks to Chris Fox for tipping me off about this Fire Department and the fact that they have a new delivery.

I love visiting those "Behind the Fence" type of departments where we typically do not see the apparatus.

The Charlottesville-Albermarle Airport is just off of Route 29 and was a bigger airport than I anticipated. Smaller jets, smaller planes, helicopters, etc. I was surprised how busy the airport was when I visited.

The guys there were extremely nice and accomodating. I basically was on my way to a work event, so I dropped by without contacting anyone beforehand. I went to the check in area, found a airport policeman, explained to him I was looking for the fire department, and he made all of the arrangements. Ten minutes later I was shown the apparatus and able to get photographs.

The airport is Station 95 in Albermarle County/Charlottesville, and members of the fire department serve in other capacities - mainly police officers and maintenance workers. They often have three crash trucks staffed for a call. They will go off the airport grounds when needed. A new Albermarle Station is being built just down the road from the airport.

Airport appartus consists of just crash trucks. If an engine company or EMS unit is needed, units come from Albermarle County.

The airports newest arrival is "Phoenix 95", a 2007 Oshkosh. It replaced an older Oshkosh that is now at the Bridgewater, Virginia airport. Might have to track that one down.

Phoenix 95

2007 Oshkosh Stryker 1500

1950/1500/210

450# PK

Seating for 4

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Back end view of Phoenix 95.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Stationed with Phoenix 95 is Phoenix 94.

Phoenix 94

1996 Oshkosh T1500

1950/1500/210

450# PK

Seating for 3

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Another shot of Phoenix 94.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Phoenix 94 and 95 are stationed at the airports fire station which is located very close to the main lobby area of the airport and just below the airports watch tower.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The departments third and final crash truck is Phoenix 93, which is housed in a seperate maintenance area at the other end of the airport. During a call, typically 94 and 95 get staffed by the police and 93 gets staffing from the maintenance area.

My first question to the guys when I saw this crash truck was it purchased from the military prior to service at the airport. Phoenix 93 was purchased new by the airport and I was told they were the third civilian airport to have a P-19, built off of military specs.

Phoenix 93

1985 Oshkosh P-19B

1000/1000/130

500# Halon

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

From Charlottesville I was headed to Danville, Virginia for a meeting the following day.

On Route 29 I saw the sign for Gretna, located in Pittsylvania County. I had never been to this part of the state, but for some reason, Gretna was a name I remembered about something unusual about the department. I am glad I stopped.

The station was closed up tight, and I was beginning to get the late afternoon sun. When I saw from the outside garage windows some of the aparatus inside, I really wanted to find someone. Down the street was a towing company, which is usually a good chance of someone knowing someone at the FD. And it worked. 20 minutes later someone met me at the station.

First up is Engine 223, a 1992 E\-One that was purchased as a demo in 1995.

I know we have some E\-One experts - can someone advise me of the E\-One cab?

Gretna, VA

Engine 223

1992 E- One

1500/1000

s/n 9839

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I need some help from our North Carolina members.

This truck was purchased from a fire department in North Carolina, but the members could not recall where it came from. Any ideas?

Gretna, VA

Engine 222

1986 Duplex/Grumman Fire Cat

1500/750

s/n 17543

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Brush fire duties in Gretna are handled by their Brush 225.

The department purchased a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 and had the pick up bed removed. This year, the local Votech school built a brush body for a very usable brush truck. The FD was very happy with the work.

Gretna, VA

Brush 225

1999 Dodge Ram 3500/2007 Votech/Local

150/250 - equipped with a Fire X pump

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is the back end of the brush truck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA