Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Chicago Fire Department - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Chicago Fire Department (/showthread.php?tid=2101)

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 10-17-2006

9-2-3

2005 Ford F-650

Mobile Ventalation Unit

2006 Ford F-150

Batt Chief Pick-Up

The coopeation from each company was great, Positing was not a problem! They we're only to happy tp help!

Great shots Commish, always nice to see this thread growing.

THANKS to Everyone!

Chicago Fire Department - CFD Adv207 - 10-17-2006

Nice work Commish!

Chicago Fire Department - firebuff - 10-17-2006

I thought that Braun Ambulances always had a slightly curved roof? Did Braun come out with a new model or something?

[quote name='firebuff' post='44507' date='Oct 17 2006, 19:11 ']I thought that Braun Ambulances always had a slightly curved roof? Did Braun come out with a new model or something?[/quote]

the current ambo's for cfd are amrican lafrance series ambulances. they requested bids for new ones from a few different manufacturers last year due to quality issues from their current supplier. not sure who is getting it but whomever does has to provide a service center for them no less than 25 miles from their main garage. something to do with warranty and such. i have a local rep on the inside and i will chat with him and see what he says.

Chicago Fire Department - Engine2524 - 10-17-2006

[quote name='firebuff' post='44507' date='Oct 17 2006, 20:11 ']I thought that Braun Ambulances always had a slightly curved roof? Did Braun come out with a new model or something?[/quote]

Not any more. From what their website shows, they did away with that design.

I saw one in person last night. The roof has a slightly raised centerline. Not as obvious at the older models

All the 2006'S I shot are all Braun's.

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 10-18-2006

[quote name='Iggyz' post='44516' date='Oct 17 2006, 20:38 ']the current ambo's for cfd are amrican lafrance series ambulances. they requested bids for new ones from a few different manufacturers last year due to quality issues from their current supplier. not sure who is getting it but whomever does has to provide a service center for them no less than 25 miles from their main garage. something to do with warranty and such. i have a local rep on the inside and i will chat with him and see what he says.[/quote]

Wow, this is how incorrect rumors get started. The old ones are American LaFrance MedicMasters. They requested bids from different manufacturers because ALF MedicMaster no longer produces that model. The new ones are made by Braun. Maybe your rep on the inside left off some of the facts.

[quote name='FL Dave' post='44586' date='Oct 17 2006, 23:41 ']Wow, this is how incorrect rumors get started. The old ones are American LaFrance MedicMasters. They requested bids from different manufacturers because ALF MedicMaster no longer produces that model. The new ones are made by Braun. Maybe your rep on the inside left off some of the facts.[/quote]

you are correct about the Braun ambulances, i just found out they are 8 months into their new cotnract and there is lots of stipulations and such on the new units. they have to use an outside chassis supplier that is located in chicago and the rigs must be done within an certain time frame or monitary penalties will be incured. it was such a hassle that a few of the manufacturers were gald they didn't get the contract due to a number of issues. so these are the facts i got this am.

i went to a maintenance conference a few years ago and met the person from cfd that is in charge of the new ambo's and there also is an inspection team that goes out to check on new apparatus. he said that the medic master untis were built below spec and they took too long to build for the last few units and the monitary penalties cost the manufacturer and in essence the cfd got their last 3 ambulance from them for free. he also said there werte cracks in the frames of the modules and many structural issues. while he was telling us all this he got a page on his pager in atlanta and said that one his ambo's was in a wreck. at the same time they were buildind the alf hazmat trucks and they too failed inspection adn had to be beefed up before delivery. he told the class that somebody almost fell through the roof of the cab because of poor crafstmanship and design. i have specs from some of their fire trucks and such and they are very thorough.

as far as teh increect rumors go, yes i made a mistake i admit that but don't go pointing fingers so fast. i am sure you have a mistake or two in the past as well.

here some older cfd ambulance pics. taken by me.

more

here is a breathing appratus truck, took this pic while driving my ambulance in downtown chicago. not very often an ambulance from out of state pics up in chicago, usually we drop off there for specialty type care.

[quote name='Iggyz' post='44629' date='Oct 18 2006, 09:45 ']here is a breathing appratus truck, took this pic while driving my ambulance in downtown chicago. not very often an ambulance from out of state pics up in chicago, usually we drop off there for specialty type care.[/quote]

It looks like the Pics are taken at Northwestern Memorial which is a teaching hospital and a Level 1 trauma center that serves the whole area.

The private ambulance most likely is there on a transport or delivery from outside the city since CFD does not normally provide non-emergency transport services.

It is very common to find private ambulances at places like Northwestern, UIC-Medical Center due to the reputation and level of care that they can provide.

By the way the ambulances in the picture that are CFD are most likely McCoy Miller or Wheeled Coach since they both supplied ambulances prior to Braun and ALF.

According to the 2006 June/August Issue of FAJ, The 1st batch of 60 Braun Ambo's are on the way!

And the Sept/Oct Issue of FAJ states Braun has a 5 year contract to do 130 Ambo's.

So now we know the rest of the story.

Every thing I see on Braun’s website still has the curved roof, are we sure the flat roof was not special order for Chicago? I imagine with a 130 unit contract they could get the units however they wanted them. Any one have a head on shot of the new units?

The roofs are not flat! they are exactly as they are on the units on the website. I saw with my own eyes A 85 at Engine 8's house pulling out of the station to let the BC out on a run. I was on a tour bus at roof level.

Also the ALF medic masters were built on a F-350 chassis that was not manufactured for the ambulance prep package. The sticker inside the door stated as such. A fact that I also saw in person