Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Fairfax County VA - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fairfax County VA (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Fairfax County VA - firemag - 01-02-2009

Terry,

Did you by chance note the FXCO shop number on the front fender? Cannot read from the photo. Pierce number?

Jerry

Fairfax County VA - dawson_fire - 01-02-2009

Sorry Jerry I did not get the number but if I make down again soon I will look for it.

Terry

[quote name='Tim' post='270560' date='Jan 2 2009, 08:51 ']I at one ponits heard the county was getting something like 5 Pierce Velocity Enines?? Were they never ordered?[/quote]

They may still get that many engines but some maybe in another budget year but there is only one mentioned at this time.

Terry

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 01-02-2009

[quote name='dawson_fire' post='270618' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:18 ']They may still get that many engines but some maybe in another budget year but there is only one mentioned at this time.

Terry[/quote]

I had heard that anything beyond the most recent order for the squad and the hazmat was on hold due to budget. Not sure how accurate that is anymore.

Terry, have the three velocity squads gone into service yet? When I was in town last in October they kept saying that they were in town and would be arriving at the stations any day. I heard they haven't yet gone in service...have any details? It seems like it takes FFX longer to put new rigs in service than other departments.

At least Alexandria is keeping a tiller in service in NOVA!

Terry, forgot to say, great pictures of the Light/Air/Rehab unit!

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 01-02-2009

From what the Fairfax County FD news letter said they are short 58 Million from last year, and there was a possibility of closing up to 4 stations.

Dave,

I travel to Virginia almost daily and have yet to see any of the new ones on the road,I did see R-18's tandem axle E-1 going down the interstate the other day though so my guess is they are not in service yet. As far as the new air unit I didn't have much to do with it as it was just setting there but thanks for the compliment!

Terry

Fairfax County VA - dawson_fire - 01-05-2009

Annandale,Va. runs this Pierce Dash 95'mm tower.

Terry

Fairfax County VA - dawson_fire - 01-05-2009

The Penn Daw station runs this Pierce Dash 105' truck.

Terry

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 01-05-2009

On jan 3rd Fairfax was supposed to start its ems revamp plan and make all ambulances medic units. So does that mean FS 410 and 411 are now double medic houses?

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 01-05-2009

Fire Stations 8, 9, 10 and 11, currently housing ALS and BLS transport units will continue to operate both transport units until the EMS Re-Design plan is fully implemented. It is anticipated that the BLS units in these houses will be phased out due to proposed FY10 budget cuts and the proposed shift to all ALS transport units. The first phase of the EMS Re-Design plan went into effect on Saturday, January 3, 2009 by upgrading ambulances at FS30, FS31 and FS35 to ALS transport units. These ALS transport units are staffed with one ALS provider and one BLS provider. Additional upgrades of existing BLS units to ALS units will occur incrementally until all stations have an ALS tranport unit. It should be noted that all Fairfax County engine companies are staffed with a paramedic and are ALS equipped. Long range plans include adding ALS capability to ladder and heavy rescue companies.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 02-23-2009

The County Executive's FY2010 budget proposal was released today. Among the highlights.....

We shall see what the County Board does now....

Cut the department photographer

Eliminate Tanker Driver Positions (Tankers at Stations 412, 416, 420, and 441 - guess the tankers will have to be crossstaffed)

Eliminate 4 BLS units (Stations 408, 409, 410, 411 - these stations currently have an BLS unit and an ALS unit)

Eliminate 2 of 8 Heavy Rescue Companies

Eliminate half of the Special Operations Division (will cut the Hazmat Unit staffing from 4 to 3 per shift and require crosstaffing of the Hazmat Support Unit)

Those are the big items.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 02-23-2009

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'm heading there tomorrow for pictures. Guess I better get what I can while I'm down. It's a shame to see such a progressive FD go through this kind of cut, especially with the poplulation growing so fast down there. Cutting 2 of only 8 heavy rescues is just crazy considering they aren't even that close to each other.

[quote name='Shoop' post='284196' date='Feb 23 2009, 17:21 ']Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'm heading there tomorrow for pictures. Guess I better get what I can while I'm down. It's a shame to see such a progressive FD go through this kind of cut, especially with the poplulation growing so fast down there. Cutting 2 of only 8 heavy rescues is just crazy considering they aren't even that close to each other.[/quote]

If they do cut two Rescues it will be interesting to see how they redistrubute the remaining 6.

Cutting 4 BLS units that each run more than 1000 runs a year will be a significant drain on depleted resources......you will probably see more Alexandria and Arlington County rigs running calls into FFX and vise versa given where the 4 units being reduced and how call volume runs. The tanker driver spots will have major impacts in Gunston, Great Falls, Crosspoint and Clifton, taking Engine staffing to run the tanker when needed. There will also be impacts in Station 440's area when Engine or Truck 440 have to go out of service to crossstaff Hazmat units.

These are not pretty cuts.

[quote name='Shoop' post='284196' date='Feb 23 2009, 17:21 ']Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'm heading there tomorrow for pictures. Guess I better get what I can while I'm down. It's a shame to see such a progressive FD go through this kind of cut, especially with the poplulation growing so fast down there. Cutting 2 of only 8 heavy rescues is just crazy considering they aren't even that close to each other.[/quote]

Patrick, I can't wait to see some of your FFX County shots from your trip? Any plans to shoot any Alexandria rigs? Would love some help keeping the Alexandria thread from getting moldy. I won't be back until late May when hopefully the new Arrow XT tiller going to Truck 208 will be in service.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 02-23-2009

Dave,

No plans of going into Alexandria tomorrow, but I guess Saturday there is a plan tripped that may involve Arlington and Alexandria.

Fairfax County VA - firemag - 02-23-2009

Pat, Don't look at the weather forecast. You'll cry.

Jerry

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 02-27-2009

Just some info for the VA buffs or anyone trying to keep a roster, Brush and boat 432 along with Gator 435 have been moved to FS441.

Ambulances 435, 431, 430 have become Medic units(ALS)

Ambulances 413, 428, 434 WILL become Medic units(ALS) on 02-28-09 at 0700 hours.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 02-27-2009

Fairfax Info:

Rescue 411 - Being put together by South Shops. Unknown if in service yet.

Rescue 418 - In Service

Rescue 439 - According to North Shops has a long way to go before being put into service.

Engine 407 (Training Academy) 2007 Pierce Dash reassigned to Engine 401 (McLean) replacing their 1997 Pierce engine.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 02-27-2009

[quote name='bigbadred411' post='285235' date='Feb 27 2009, 14:59 ']Just some info for the VA buffs or anyone trying to keep a roster, Brush and boat 432 along with Gator 435 have been moved to FS441.

Ambulances 435, 431, 430 have become Medic units(ALS)

Ambulances 413, 428, 434 WILL become Medic units(ALS) on 02-28-09 at 0700 hours.[/quote]

Thanks for the news on the upgrades of the BLS units Bigbadred. The plan I do believe is to upgrade all the remaining BLS units within the next few months to ALS units.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 02-27-2009

[quote name='Shoop' post='285239' date='Feb 27 2009, 15:17 ']Fairfax Info:

Rescue 411 - Being put together by South Shops. Unknown if in service yet.

Rescue 418 - In Service

Rescue 439 - According to North Shops has a long way to go before being put into service.

Engine 407 (Training Academy) 2007 Pierce Dash reassigned to Engine 401 (McLean) replacing their 1997 Pierce engine.[/quote]

Hopefully the other two will be on the street soon.

Interesting developmetn on Engine 407. I wonder what is up with that. Perhaps one of the ffx county guys with more info can add something.