Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - yvfdco8 - 11-10-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='162212' date='Nov 10 2007, 11:21 ']and another photo....the Mack sitting next to a destroyed pumper (which I believe is from Maryland - more on that in the "Relics" thread).

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike, [url="http://www.firetec.com/detail/BG-8319.html"]here it is on firetec's website [/url]

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 11-11-2007

Oh shame! Is that a brush truck I see behind the Wytheville bay doors? Mike?

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 11-11-2007

[quote name='firemag' post='162529' date='Nov 11 2007, 14:08 ']Oh shame! Is that a brush truck I see behind the Wytheville bay doors? Mike?[/quote]

Yes, that is a brush truck. Ran out of time to be at my next appointment. Was happy to get the three from Wytheville that I could.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 11-11-2007

You need to schedule all meetings/appointments after dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 11-11-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='162233' date='Nov 10 2007, 12:24 ']Bland, Virginia

Bland County

"24"

2005 Oshkosh/Pierce Hawk Extreme

500/2500/50

Height - 10", 2"

Length - 34', 1"

Weight - 56,000

pump controls are located on the officers side as well as from the cab

note front bumper gun

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

This unit also has 140 CFM CAFS. I taught the VDFP Driver Operator - Pump there last winter. These guys have a great livery and do a really great Job. They also have a Pierce Saber.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 11-12-2007

WOW That's awesome. Nothing Bland about '24' Gordon

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 11-25-2007

I thought I would include a couple of photos from the archives. It has been awhile since I have visited this FD "behind the fence", but as far as I know, they are still running the same apparatus. Over the years they have brought their trucks up to the annual Apple Blossom Festival fireman's parade in Winchester.

The Conservation & Research Center FD of the National Zoological Park Smithsonian Institute runs a small fire brigade just outside of Front Royal, Virginia. This center is a bit unique in that it breeds exotic and endangared animals and does extensive zoological research. It was once an Army remount station where horses were kept, then a beef cattle research center of the USDA, and then the Smithsonian took over operations at the facility as part o their extension of the Washington zoo. The 3,000 acres has barns, feeding stations, dormitories, laboratories, offices, veterinary hospital, and over 40 miles of chainlink fence. The center also grows enough hay and alfalfa to feed the zoo's animals at both Front Royal and the Washington zoo.

The fire brigade was formed in 1976 after a large field fire. Two trucks are manned by the employees of the Conservation and Research Center.

Engine 71

"Big Bucket"

1970 Reo M45 2 1/2 ton 6x6

750/1000

ex- Ft. Meade, MD

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Brush 7 from the center runs this Jeep:

Brush 7

"Lil Bucket"

1967 Jeep 1 1/4 ton 4x4

115/300

ex- military

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

There is a small fire house on the facility and when a call comes in, the staff from the Conservation & Research Center staff the trucks. The facility also receives help on any calls with mutual aide agreements from Front Royal and surrounding counties.

That is it from this small but unique FD near Front Royal, VA.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 11-29-2007

These are two from Micron Technology located in Manassas, Virginia. The small grey SUV is used as a command vehicle and the Suburban and trailer serve as the Technical Rescue Unit. I will try to get some more/beter pics of these and the other units when we have some spare time.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 11-30-2007

Ryan,

Thanks for the photos from Micron Technology. I know that facility (I believe when owned by a different company) operated a Ford F/E-One light squad. What are the other apparatus at the complex?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Several members of Firepics in Virginia have created a tradition for the day after Thanksgiving - visiting Virginia fire departments and photographing fire apparatus (instead of hitting the malls for Christmas sales). I have had the priviledge and opportunity to join in with those trips the last several years. Last year, a group of Virginia apparatus photographers visited Loudoun County, Virginia where we had the opportunity to photograph most of the apparatus at Sterling, Ashburn, and Leesburg.

This year we visited Loudoun County stations on the "West End", more rural in nature. I think we had another good day. Although the weather was cold and we battled some clouds throughout the day, I had a great day visiting with these guys.

Here are most of the apparatus that we photographed that day.

The "West End" in Loudoun County begins outside of Leesburg by traveling down Route 7 towards Winchester. The western end of Loudoun County had most of the first established fire departments in the county. The first community you come to is Hamilton, home to Engine Company 5 and Rescue Company 17. Last year, both of these companies moved into a shared facility. Previously, they had their own stations. The old Hamilton Station 5 is now a radio shop for the Loudoun County fire department and I believe the old Rescue Squad building is still owned by the squad and used for storage, etc.

First up is Wagon 5. Those of you who collect Code 3 models will recognize this one as it was just released by Code 3. This is Hamilton fire's first black and red fire truck and it replaced a well liked 1984 Pierce Dash 1000/1500 engine/tanker that was just recently sold to Jacksonville, Ohio.

Hamilton, VA

Wagon 5

2006 Pierce Dash

1500/1000/40

job number 17317

Mike Sanders

Also at Hamilton is Engine 5, a 1989 Pierce Lance 1250/750 with job number E5294. Loudoun County stations saw a variety of Pierce fire trucks delivered during this time frame and overall the departments have liked the Pierce trucks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Last year, Loudoun County Fire and Rescue began an aggressive program to update their tankers, especially in the West End departments. Unlike the eastern end of Loudoun County where there are numerous fire hydrants (Sterling, Ashburn, Leesburg), west end communities have many areas where there are no hydrants. New tankers were ordered, and all were to carry a minumum of 3,000 gallons of water.

The first tanker purchased by the Loudoun County government was assigned to Hamilton as Tanker 5 and was built by Pierce. The county ordered one of these units.

Loudoun County

Hamilton, VA

2005 International 7600/Pierce

1250/3000

job # 17249

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Author: Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Apparatus History - Arcadia Publishing

In nearby Purcellville, a company called LSI does a variety of work on fire apparatus. Part of this work also includes building some specialty units. A variety of fire departments in Loudoun County have purchased apparatus through LSI. Hamilton has two units with work done by LSI.

Brush 5 is a 1994 Ford F350/LSI that was just repainted to the departments new black and red colors. Many fire departments in Loudoun County prefer the "flat bed" style of brush truck, so you will see a vareity of examples. Brush 5 has a 250/250.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is Brush 5 in its original colors.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The second truck owned by Hamilton that was built by nearby LSI is Light and Air 5, a 1995 Ford F350/Stahl/LSI.

In 2005 and 2006, fire departments in the metro DC area received Mobile Air Units built by Hackney on Freightliners. Loudoun County has one of these trucks assigned to Ashburn's Moorefield Station (Mobile Air Unit 23). Prior to the delivery of this truck, Hamilton's 1995 Ford saw most of the air unit duties throughout the entire county. There was some speculation that with the delivery of Mobile Air Unit 23, Hamilton's unit would be sold. It continues to stay on the Hamilton roster.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Those are all of Hamilton's fire units. On the other side of the station is Hamilton Rescue Company 17, which operates a medium squad, ambulances, and some specialty units (boats, etc.). Unfortunately, the career staff was not able to move out Squad 17, a 1994 International 4900 built by Marion. Squad 17 was purchased in the late 1990's from the Winchester Volunteer Rescue Squad, which is now the Millwood Fire-Rescue.

Here is a photograph of Squad 17 that I took a number of years ago.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

From Hamilton we headed down Route 7 a couple of miles to Purcellville, home of Fire Station 2. Purcellville fire and the rescue squad (Station 14) have seperate facilities but work is underway to house both companies within one station, similar to Hamilton.

Purcellville is where we battled the clouds. Chief 2 at Purcellville was very accomodating to our requests for photographs and even had some trucks brought up to the local high school for photos a second time after the sun re-appeared.

Here is Station 2's line up of apparatus.

Engine 2 is a 1999 Pierce Quantum 1250/750 with job number EC241.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Purcellville's second out engine is Wagon 2, a 1988 Pierce Lance 1250/750 with job number E4217.

Station 2 has on order a Pierce Quantum Puc that has a delivery date of mid/late 2008. When that truck is placed into service, the department plans on selling Wagon 2.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA