Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 11-30-2007

Squad 12 from Lovettsville is an uncommon rescue squad built by Grumman.

Lovettsville, VA

Squad 12

1991 International 4900/Grumman

Grumman serial number 18769

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Author: Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Apparatus History - Arcadia Publishing

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 11-30-2007

And the final photograph from our day in Loudoun County made one certain editor of The Virginia Fire News Magazine a happy camper. I was not real sure we were going to get him out of the brush truck while he was having his photograph taken. Rumors are that the guy which drove with him threatened to leave for the long ride back.

Brush 12 was obtained from the Brunswick, Maryland fire department. Prior to Brunswick, it was a military vehicle.

1968 Kaiser Jeep 1 1/4 ton M175

rehab work done by Station 12 in 2002

100/250

We had a great day in Loudoun County and it was great visiting with everyone who traveled from different parts of Virgina. I hope you enjoyed the "tour" and if anyone else has photos from the day that I did not post, please post them.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Author: Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Apparatus History - Arcadia Publishing

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 11-30-2007

Mike, thanks for posting these, and thanks for making all of the arragements for the trip. Without your time and effort, the trip surely wouldn't have been as productive! Can't wait till the next outing...

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - davemcclung - 12-01-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='167849' date='Nov 30 2007, 21:39 ']And the final photograph from our day in Loudoun County made one certain editor of The Virginia Fire News Magazine a happy camper. I was not real sure we were going to get him out of the brush truck while he was having his photograph taken. Rumors are that the guy which drove with him threatened to leave for the long ride back.

Brush 12 was obtained from the Brunswick, Maryland fire department. Prior to Brunswick, it was a military vehicle.

1968 Kaiser Jeep 1 1/4 ton M175

rehab work done by Station 12 in 2002

100/250

We had a great day in Loudoun County and it was great visiting with everyone who traveled from different parts of Virgina. I hope you enjoyed the "tour" and if anyone else has photos from the day that I did not post, please post them.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Author: Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Apparatus History - Arcadia Publishing[/quote]

Mike, great shots as usual. I can see why Jerry was a happy camper....that is a very nice rig.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - kieferfire - 12-01-2007

Mike,

another one of your fine photo-stories. It's always fun for me to read and look. Thanks for sharing.

Juergen

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 12-12-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='131782' date='Jul 21 2007, 17:11 ']Here was another unique and interesting find in SW Virginia.

Rescue 37 at Norton is this interesting 1993 Volvo/E-One with serial number 12359.

I was told it previously ran at Radnor, PA. Norton purchased the squad in 2005.

Would anyone have a photo of it at Radnor?[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Sorry for being WAYYYYY behind here - but here's a shot of Radnor's Rescue 1 I grabbed from a friend since all my old Radnor pics are at my parents house from when I lived in Radnor. The rig certainly should be correct, but alot of the changes really throw me off; notably the grill and the missing cribbing boxes from the under carriage, and lighting.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - BA000049 - 12-12-2007

[quote name='SLY' post='170834' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:13 ']Hi Mike,

Sorry for being WAYYYYY behind here - but here's a shot of Radnor's Rescue 1 I grabbed from a friend since all my old Radnor pics are at my parents house from when I lived in Radnor. The rig certainly should be correct, but alot of the changes really throw me off; notably the grill and the missing cribbing boxes from the under carriage, and lighting.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=28486][/quote]

Mike,

I am also a little behind - here is the info on the Radnor rig:

1993 Volvo FE42/Emergency One, full cab, enclosed non walk-in rescue, Volvo VE7 diesel, 250 HP, automatic. It has a

Winco 25 Kw PTO generator. It has a Will-Burt 27 ft light tower with 6000 watts of lights, 12000 lb. rear-end winch, Robinson rollup doors. Rather strange for the time that it was ordered with a 3 man cab, due to a space limitation in the old firehouse. Housed 9/12/98. Replaced in early 2005 and sold on 3/18/05 to Norton (Wise County, VA) for $60,000 who repainted it yellow over white.

Bruce

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 12-12-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='167829' date='Nov 30 2007, 21:56 ']Two things happened at Philomont that made that stop nice.

First, just after photographing all of the apparatus, Station 8 was dispatched for a "Machinery Fire", which turned out to be a lawnmower on fire. The sound of the older fire house siren activating and seeing Wagon 8 and Reserve Tanker 8 responding was pretty neat. Eventually, Unit 8 also added to the call, along with Chief 8. I tried convincing some of the guys on the photo trip that I had arranaged not to be able to get to Round Hill right away so we could capture the moment of the house siren going off, etc. No one bought that at all.

Pete West is a good friend of mine and is a member of Philomont. In addition to helping out with the photographs of the Philomont apparatus, Pete also brought down to the photography site one of his pumpers that he owns. In addition to this American LaFrance, Pete also owns several Buffalo (the apparatus manufacturer) fire trucks.

Victoria, VA

1965 Chevrolet C80/American LaFrance

750/500

Pete purchased this truck in 1998. He also added the Roto Ray light on the drivers side.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Author: Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Apparatus History - Arcadia Publishing[/quote]

What a nice Chevy! A dept. I shoot for has a truck similar, except its a Howe and I'm almost certain its a 1962, I know its not in VA but I'll post it anyways. They are not so easy to drive these days!! Only a few guys really know how to drive this one.

[Image: RHFD-FCEMS030.jpg]

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 12-12-2007

Sly and Bruce,

Thank you for the additional information and photo from Radnor. Finding this Volvo/E-One was a real surprise at Norton.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - dawson_fire - 12-13-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='167844' date='Nov 30 2007, 22:26 ']Here is Tanker 12 that was mentioned in the previous post.

Lovettsville, VA

Tanker 12

1999 Pierce Lance

1250/1500

job number ED440

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The Wagon and the tanker are both Dash's. Great pics!!!

Terry

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 12-13-2007

[quote name='dawson_fire' post='171029' date='Dec 13 2007, 00:03 ']The Wagon and the tanker are both Dash's. Great pics!!!

Terry[/quote]

Terry,

Thank you for the clarification...they are indeed Dash's - brain cramp on my part - I knew that.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 12-29-2007

My fire apparatus photography has slowed down greatly with the winter months. So, I thought I would post several older trucks that I recently received photos of.

Sterling Park Rescue Squad

Sterling, Virginia (Loudoun County)

"Sterling 1"

1969 GMC/Swab.

This was Loudoun County's first heavy squad.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

After service in Sterling, the 1969 GMC/Swab was obtained by the Stafford County, Virginia Sheriff's Department, repainted, and used as a SWAT truck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

This past summer I found this old Henrico County, Virginia engine sitting at a used truck/parts dealer in Roanoke, Virginia.

It is Engine 7 and is a 1964 International/Oren 1000/500 with Oren s/n 1967 (thanks to Bill Friedrich and other firepic members for info on this truck).

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is a much better photograph of Engine 7 while in service at Henrico County.

Robert Kimball photo/Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Another 1964 International/Oren from Henrico County, Virginia running as Reserve Engine 8 when it was photographed. Oren serial number unknown.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is a neat one, and one that I hope someone has additional information about.

Yorkshire, Virginia in Prince William County.

Engine 83

1941 ALF 500

no other information

I am assuming this was purchased used by Yorkshire, although I might be wrong.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is another unusual Virginia truck from the Rouss Fire Company in Winchester, Virginia. Today Rouss is all ladder trucks and painted green and white. It did not use to be that way.....Rouss has run engine companies and specialty units. This American LaFrance was a foam unit.

The information I have on this ALF is that the National Airport FD obtained this ALF and painted it in the bicentennial colors in 1976. It was called the "Spirit". It was purchased from a farmer.

Rouss had it for 4-5 years and used it as a foam unit - you can see the foam cans in the photograph.

It went to Castleton, Virginia, then to a private collector, and eventually (as I have been told) to a museum in Charlottesville, Virginia.

1956 ALF 700

750gpm

Does anyone have additional information on this unique ALF?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I know we have some Hahn experts on this board.....any help on this truck is appreciated.

Upperville, Virginia

Fauquier County

1954 Ford/Hahn

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Upperville's Ford/Hahn was later rehabed in 1985 with the addition of this Ford F cab.

I photographed Engine 5 in 1987.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA