Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Fairfax County VA - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fairfax County VA (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 06-14-2009

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 06-14-2009

[quote name='Dave McClung' post='313813' date='Jun 14 2009, 21:09 '][Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=51855][/quote]

There is something to be said for being able to retire in the immediate near future and that is I can probably count on staying on a relatively conventional looking fire engine and hopefully that ladder truck with Praying Mantis-looking feelers sticking out in front of it will stay in the second battalion and need a visa to get into the fourth. FS29 has had four apparatus assigned to the truck company there since I was hired in 1984: a 100' Seagrave TDA, the 135' E\-One rebuilt in the mid 90s, one of the first Pierce Dash 105's with tandem rear axles and now this. Of course, we did need a couple more decent reserve ladder trucks.

It would be a decent looking cab w/o the goofy mirrors, like, 'um, Lutherville's new rescue.

Sigh

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 06-14-2009

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' post='313819' date='Jun 14 2009, 20:18 ']There is something to be said for being able to retire in the immediate near future and that is I can probably count on staying on a relatively conventional looking fire engine and hopefully that ladder truck with Praying Mantis-looking feelers sticking out in front of it will stay in the second battalion and need a visa to get into the fourth. FS29 has had four apparatus assigned to the truck company there since I was hired in 1984: a 100' Seagrave TDA, the 135' E\-One rebuilt in the mid 90s, one of the first Pierce Dash 105's with tandem rear axles and now this. Of course, we did need a couple more decent reserve ladder trucks.

It would be a decent looking cab w/o the goofy mirrors, like, 'um, Lutherville's new rescue.

Sigh[/quote]

Everyone I have talked to that has driven a unit with the Praying Mantis looking feeler mirrors has grudgingly admitted that visibility is better with them. If they provide better visibility and aren't being torn off constantly who cares if they are painted pink with purple poka dots. I have to say that I enjoy taking pictures of neat looking trucks like the next person but as an elected official that actually has to watch how he spends the people's dollars (remember people kinda frown upon taking their taxes and spending it frivilously) I am all for functionality.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 06-15-2009

Anyone know why the velcity was chosen? Everyone around us in FXCO has gone to the arrow XT.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 06-15-2009

[quote name='bigbadred411' post='313867' date='Jun 15 2009, 00:16 ']Anyone know why the velcity was chosen? Everyone around us in FXCO has gone to the arrow XT.[/quote]

They were quite pleased with the Dash and would prefer to have the Dash back as an option. I am sure there are a whole list of reasons but since the Velocity is sort of the apples to apples or the apples to appleorange replacement they have the Velocity. The conversations I have heard is they like the Velocity, don't expect any switches anytime soon.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 06-16-2009

New Fairfax Engine 432

Engine 432

Engine 432

Engine 401 (former Engine 407)

Engine 401

This rig is quite huge. In fact, I wonder if it will actually fit in the Engine bay at FS32! Really though, it looks much larger than the Dash Engines of late....

Nate

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 06-16-2009

[quote name='Good2Go' post='314190' date='Jun 16 2009, 07:36 ']This rig is quite huge. In fact, I wonder if it will actually fit in the Engine bay at FS32! Really though, it looks much larger than the Dash Engines of late....

Nate[/quote]

Nate if you compare the pictures 432 vs 401 what you might be seeing is an illusion that the Velocity is bigger due to the Preying Mantis like mirrors. When you do a rough eyeball measurement of the wheelbase, compartment size, and ladder rack hight they are very close. If you look at the first batch of Dash units to the last batch of Dash units you can notice small changes in the specs so it is possible that there are some small changes from the last batch of Dash units to the Velocity. If anything the Velocity is a wider chassis than the Dash by a few inches if I remember correctly. Tim would be the best to describe the real differences between Dash and Velocity.

[quote name='Dave McClung' post='314255' date='Jun 16 2009, 13:34 ']Nate if you compare the pictures 432 vs 401 what you might be seeing is an illusion that the Velocity is bigger due to the Preying Mantis like mirrors. When you do a rough eyeball measurement of the wheelbase, compartment size, and ladder rack hight they are very close. If you look at the first batch of Dash units to the last batch of Dash units you can notice small changes in the specs so it is possible that there are some small changes from the last batch of Dash units to the Velocity. If anything the Velocity is a wider chassis than the Dash by a few inches if I remember correctly. Tim would be the best to describe the real differences between Dash and Velocity.[/quote]

Yes, the cab definitely appears much wider and a few inches longer as well. I know 32's Engine doorway is pretty tight even with what they have now. Guess we'll know soon. I'll post additional shots as soon as I can.

Nate

Engine 32 cont.

32 rear shot

Former Fairfax Rig. I know one of these once ran as Engine 36 (Frying Pan).[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Truck 422 shot with way too much junk in the background. Sorry fellas.

Former Fairfax Truck. Spent a good bit of time running as Truck 513 while their Tower was out.

A quick Alexandria shot thrown in for Dave. Alexandria Rescue 206.

[quote name='Good2Go' post='314285' date='Jun 16 2009, 15:09 ']Former Fairfax Rig. I know one of these once ran as Engine 36 (Frying Pan).[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND][/quote]

Whose patch is on the door?