Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Memphis Fire Dept - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Memphis Fire Dept (/showthread.php?tid=2109)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Memphis Fire Dept - kenosha - 03-09-2011

Truck 29 is the only Pierce Arrow XT Truck in MFD

[quote name='daviddnb' timestamp='1299619701' post='428595']

Thanks for the answer.

How many ladder co. run new arrow xt.

For me, no major diference between the Pierce or E\-One engine, but for the ladder I like E\-One more than Pierce, espacially the memphis E\-One, with the short wheelbase.

[/quote]

Memphis Fire Dept - memphise34a - 03-09-2011

[quote name='firesafe91' timestamp='1299198529' post='427834']

Does Memphis still have any of the Ford/Pirsch tillers still in front-line service? If my memory is correct, T6 and T21 were the last two front-line tillers in service. I was in Memphis a couple of weeks ago and drove by the shops. The T6 tiller was sitting in the lot and appeared to be stripped of equipment.

I also saw that the city council (see page 15 of attached link) approved capital funding for the purcahse of eight alternative response vehicles, one brush truck, seven ambulances, two pumpers and two quints. Will the quints be replacements for two of the three E\-One tower ladders or is the city planning to integrate quints into their operations.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.cityofmemphis.org/pdf_forms/documents_122110.pdf

[/quote]

That resolution has actually not passed entirely. For the last 10 weeks our IAFF Local has at least stalled the implemantation of the ARV's citing incurred safety concerns that will not be worth the limited savings.

The rest of the resolution was approved. One quint is replacing the E54, the Squrt and the other is being proposed in seperate annexation reserve area. If they try to put either one in a sation by themselves, they may want to be ready for us again.

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-09-2011

[quote name='memphise34a' timestamp='1299725733' post='428778']

That resolution has actually not passed entirely. For the last 10 weeks our IAFF Local has at least stalled the implemantation of the ARV's citing incurred safety concerns that will not be worth the limited savings.

The rest of the resolution was approved. One quint is replacing the E54, the Squrt and the other is being proposed in seperate annexation reserve area. If they try to put either one in a sation by themselves, they may want to be ready for us again.

[/quote]

I just saw the article in the Flyer , it gave yall some good PR !! Btw I think the ARV thing is the dumbest SH@T i have ever heard !! The concept you presented,I have heard it called SQUAD concept , seems logical . Maybe the city council will go for that instead.

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-10-2011

[quote name='memphise34a' timestamp='1299725733' post='428778']

[/quote]

What had they proposed for these ARV things?

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-10-2011

About 8 or 9 years ago, Tampa instituted "Advanced Triage Units" or ATU's. They were Ford Expeditions bought from the city fleet contract so they were solid white, to which our shops added simple graphics and a light bar/siren. Unlike the name, "advanced", they chose to staff them with two FF/EMT's, so the rigs were BLS not ALS ???. They were placed under the command of Engine 1 and Engine 13, two of our busier companies, designed to take some of the EMS workload from the Engine Cos. which are ALS ????. However, under the Medical Priority Dispatch protocol which TFR uses, they could only respond to the most minor of EMS incidents. Most EMS calls had some sort of cardiac or respiratory element so the ALS Engine would respond with one of our Rescue/Ambulances????? As well, any vehicle crash, traumatic injury, etc. would get the ALS Engine for hazard control and/or manpower. So needless to say the ATU's failed miserably whereas they really weren't designed, equipped or staffed to do musch more than BLS. The concept didn't even give us two more Firefighters during fire or rescue operations because the guys were pulled from neighboring engines or trucks by dropping those companies down to three total. Originally they were to be used by the Truck Cos. as alternate vehicles, but our Local fought against it and settled for the ATU trial instead. Stay away from the alternate vehicle concept, it may work in the west for some reason, but cross staffing in most departments is a slippery slope.

Memphis Fire Dept - Truckman - 03-10-2011

Richmond, as well tried this alternate EMS vehicle concept. It was a flop and the company that was running it was a very busy company in fire and EMS calls. Each time the company got punched out on an EMS call the EMS Vehicle went, leaving the Engine Co. out of service.

A Suburban was used here and used a lot of brakes pads and more wear and tear than on a regular piece of fire apparatus.

It didn't take long to see that this company was handcuffed, if a fire came in their territory while on an EMS call or returning to quarters. They had nothing but a couple of extinguishers on board, as does all similar type vehicles in the department. All they had were their PPE - turnout gear, no scba, ladders, hose or water!

Bottom line the department canned this after close to a year of operation. They in turn, put complete EMS gear on all Engine and Truck Companies. It is still like this now and works better than having the small EMS type vehicle running calls and not being available for fire calls.

Memphis sure runs a boat load more than we do and trying this concept is a foolhardy venture.

Put an ambulance, Unit, in each fire house and outfit all companies with complete EMS gear.

Memphis Fire Dept - memphise34a - 03-12-2011

[quote name='WAGONMAN' timestamp='1299771840' post='428799']

What had they proposed for these ARV things?

[/quote]

Pick up truck based vehicles with EMS gear only. Exactly as John describes in Richmond. I guess they won't really beleive us until someone gets killed. We'll see what happens. We go back to the Council on April 1st, an iconic date if the Administration gets their version.

Memphis Fire Dept - Roto-Ray - 03-12-2011

[quote name='memphise34a' timestamp='1299905750' post='429013']

Pick up truck based vehicles with EMS gear only. Exactly as John describes in Richmond. I guess they won't really beleive us until someone gets killed. We'll see what happens. We go back to the Council on April 1st, an iconic date if the Administration gets their version.

[/quote]

Would they have you send the entire crew on this, or split with 2 on this and 2 on the suppression piece?

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-12-2011

[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1299906557' post='429014']

Would they have you send the entire crew on this, or split with 2 on this and 2 on the suppression piece?

[/quote]

Ugh makes my head spin when I hear a department try to do this with cross-staffed units. It can work, but you have to watch out that you not spreading yourself too thin. Now with calls volumes going p all the time, it would seem it would be easier to just put the equipment on the Engine and run it on all calls.

Memphis Fire Dept - kenosha - 03-12-2011

As it stands now, the entire crew would go on the ARV.

[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1299906557' post='429014']

[/quote]

Memphis Fire Dept - tafd00367 - 03-13-2011

[quote name='firepicsMW2' timestamp='1299931547' post='429040']

As it stands now, the entire crew would go on the ARV.

[/quote]

Sounds like the SPRINT program that Shreveport La started last year when they got 700,000 from local Hospital to start the program. They currently have 3 going at this time with 7 total planned at all of their 7 two man ladder company's that will go out of service to man the SPRINT.

Here a link http://www.signal51group.com/images/SPRINTs/S.htm

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-13-2011

OUCH!!!! What concept. Would make better sense if staffed as additional units to handle the EMS alarms in place of the Truck Co., not at the expense of the Truck Co. That would give two extra personnel to suplement the Truck at fires. I like the "fire engines weren't designed to run 3000 calls" statement, that's a winner. He should visit some urban Engine Cos. running 3, 4, 5 or even 6 grand a year. Like I said before, cross staffing is a slippery slope, use caution!!!!

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-13-2011

[quote name='memphise34a' timestamp='1299905750' post='429013']

[/quote]

Sounds like someone needs to add some boxes and the EMS personel to staff them.

Memphis Fire Dept - senatobiafire704 - 03-13-2011

[quote name='WAGONMAN' timestamp='1300053844' post='429209']

Sounds like someone needs to add some boxes and the EMS personel to staff them.

[/quote]

I don't work for Memphis, but I'm from just south of there and my best friend is a FF/PM there. From what he's hearing they may be cutting back units, they now have I believe 33 and are more than regularly out of availbale ambulances due to the call volume. Lt. Kramer could enlighten more, but if they truly do have to actually cut back its going to be aweful. I desperately disagree with the pick up response. So many times these guys are out on EMS runs and catch a fire in their territory. This could be very tragic...

Memphis Fire Dept - Guest - 03-14-2011

[quote name='senatobiafire704' timestamp='1300055615' post='429213']

I don't work for Memphis, but I'm from just south of there and my best friend is a FF/PM there. From what he's hearing they may be cutting back units, they now have I believe 33 and are more than regularly out of availbale ambulances due to the call volume. Lt. Kramer could enlighten more, but if they truly do have to actually cut back its going to be aweful. I desperately disagree with the pick up response. So many times these guys are out on EMS runs and catch a fire in their territory. This could be very tragic...

[/quote]

I have not heard of any cuts in number of ambulances; IMO that would be a joke. In about a month or two when the weather warms up we will once again run out of ambulances on a daily basis.

I had the dubious pleasure of riding the FART car during the pilot program, what a joke.

Memphis Fire Dept - BJP777 - 03-14-2011

Out here in Tucson,Az they have the Alpha Truck program. It's a Ford F-150 with a camper on the rear, and their dispatched on low priority BLS calls. They are staffed with 2 EMT/FF's and are not crossed manned with any other trucks. These Alpha Trucks have taken a lot of pressure off of the engines and ladders who were getting tied up with folks who abuse the 911 system or the senior citizen who just wanted their BP taken. I think they even pass out pamplets to the 911 abusers on the correct numbers to call for rides to the DR.s office or clinic, etc..A lot of folks here in Arizona dont have any type of medical insurance so they just call 911 for all their needs. There is or were four Alpha units in service, but with the budget gets im not certain about that now. Some may only be part time now. They work a regular 24hr shift, and they also get dispatched on all full alarm calls as well. They keep their turnouts and airpacks in the rear of the trucks, and on a full alarm they would assist a engine or ladder crew. It's been very successfull so far, but it may get cut do to budget shortages.

Memphis Fire Dept - ACPD227 - 03-14-2011

Not to steal the thread but does memphis fd ems and tucson fd ems bill for ems calls (transport) or is all tax money paid for?

Im not a member of the TFD, so im not really sure how that works. TFD medics will transport most all ALS patients and a few BLS, but most of the BLS transports are done via a third party which is Southwest Ambulance...owned by the Rural Metro Corp.. TFD is always the first responder on all calls within the city of Tucson.

I just looked it up and the TFD also has a contract with Southwest Ambulance for it's ALS transport billing. So yes, it looks like TFD does bill for transports.

Memphis Fire Dept - fraysertruckie - 03-14-2011

MFD has 33 ALS units (Ambulance)staffed with FF/EMT & FF/PM. We are the primary transport service in the city (we haul it all), and we do bill for service.