Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
FDNY New pumpers......... - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Apparatus and Department Scuttlebut (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Scuttlebut (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: FDNY New pumpers......... (/showthread.php?tid=1707)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

FDNY New pumpers......... - hp1530 - 03-10-2012

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1331411692' post='477093']

GSA schedule as a test.

[/quote]

Did the R1 crew like the Pierce?

FDNY New pumpers......... - goon16 - 03-15-2012

They.did not want to see the Pierce leave.. No one wanted the ferrera and neither did we I miss my Seagrave. And I agree with marc no KME. You can't compare how they are in one city to another we beat on our rigs esspecially the busier shop since there goin out the door more. Our Seagrave gave us 10 years of at least 4000 runs a year and at the end of its span it was just starting to breakdown. Half of these manufacters try and make a rig to with stsnd the abuse we give them but they can't. Only time will tell on how long these ferreras last

FDNY New pumpers......... - RagsCo4 - 04-13-2012

Any news on who is getting the bid for the pumpers?

FDNY New pumpers......... - Guest - 04-19-2012

Only one way to solve this issue....Bring back MACK!!!!

FDNY New pumpers......... - OPEN CAB MACK - 04-19-2012

[quote name='firetrucknut' timestamp='1334839259' post='482002']

Only one way to solve this issue....Bring back MACK!!!!

[/quote]

I have to agree with you 100%! The CF was undoubtly the BEST engine ever produced especially for FDNY.

FDNY New pumpers......... - FDNY 10-75 - 04-21-2012

Bid for 90 engines awarded to KME.

FDNY New pumpers......... - ff168577 - 04-21-2012

[quote name='FDNY 10-75' timestamp='1335046743' post='482239']

[/quote]

WOW. JUST WOW.

FDNY New pumpers......... - pdl1970 - 04-21-2012

good for KME they came a long way hope its works out for them

FDNY New pumpers......... - Guest - 04-21-2012

Are you flipping kidding me..............! They will kill those things.

FDNY New pumpers......... - Bryce - 04-22-2012

Anybody else kinda feel like this is the end of Seagrave?

FDNY New pumpers......... - hp1530 - 04-22-2012

[quote name='Bryce' timestamp='1335072633' post='482349']

[/quote]

I wouldn't put it as "The End" but Seagrave certainlyjust lost one of their larger customers.

FDNY New pumpers......... - hp1530 - 04-22-2012

[/quote]

Not surprised. With the economy the way it is (and has been) it's tight budgets all around. Looks like another low bid wins the deal.

Wait, kind of actually surprised that Ferrara did not win the bid.

FDNY New pumpers......... - Guest - 04-22-2012

[quote name='Bryce' timestamp='1335072633' post='482349']

[/quote]

Losing FDNY as a customer should not be "the end" of anybody. That is a lot of units, granted, but it is also a very costly contract to service. Lots of hoops to jump through, and many, many headaches to endure. The profit margin on each of those units is STUNNINGLY LOW you hope to make your money in the end on sheer volume of units moved. Seagrave (and any other manufacturer) will make a lot more money selling "onesies and twosies" to small town departments and have a lot less ass aches at the end of the day. They've had a great run with FDNY. Lets see if KME can "survive" having that contract. The original American LaFrance couldn't survive the 80 units they sold FDNY in 1980. It sunk them!!! We'll see, it will be interesting to watch.

FDNY New pumpers......... - tntway - 04-22-2012

RM--as i was catching up on this thread, i was wondering EXACTLY what you have said here and you beat me to it!!!

as far as the KMEs holding up.....doesn't either LA City or County have alot of KMEs?? (i could be WAY wrong)....now i'm not comapring apples to orangeshere or saying that LA roads compare to NYC but i'm sure they do get a bit of use........just sayin......

All the difference in the world between the "mean streets of New York" (road condition, not violence) and Los Angeles. I've driven in both, and there is no comparison in the two. Lots of use is one thing, lots of use PLUS lot of abuse is a whole different thing altogether.

Just read on another site that I frequent that these engines (whoever makes them) will be going to some of the busiest companies in the city, replacing all of the 2002-03 Seagraves. This will most assuredly be a brutal test for whoever. This should be very interesting to follow!!

FDNY New pumpers......... - Roto-Ray - 04-22-2012

Anyone have a link showing the award information?

FDNY New pumpers......... - KENTucky - 04-22-2012

Seagrave has been on the downslide for years, with or without FDNY. However, their relationship with FDNY has hurt business in the end, because now that business is gone, the "little guys" that were pushed to the side have moved on to other, more attentive manufacturers. Pricing and quality continue to be issues, as well. Yes, they are built like tanks, but Seagrave continues to struggle with innovation. Plus, in the age of grants, Seagrave simply cannot build a custom unit in less than 12 months, although "small" companies like Custom Fire and Summit have no problem doing so. I heard at FDIC that Seagrave built "less than 100" units last year, "50-something," and a more exact number of 42. So, its safe to assume that one of the greatest names in fire apparatus history is building fewer apparatus per year than companies like Toyne and 4 Guys. Sad.

When I toured Pierce a few years ago with a VP, I was told they had no interest whatsoever in FDNY's business, for all of the obvious reasons and those mentioned above. We'll see the toll it takes on Ferrara and KME.

Kent Parrish

FDNY New pumpers......... - 1958 F.W.D. - 04-22-2012

[/quote]

According to someone who works for FDNY and who is in the know about all things FDNY apparatus, the bid has NOT been awarded as of today (4/22/2012.)

From the [url="https://www.facebook.com/BrotherhoodFoundation"]The New York City Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation[/url] Facebook page......

It appears that the City of New York has signed a contract with KME Fire Apparatus for 91 pumpers - 38 for the first year, 48 for the second year and 5 for the third year replacing all of their remaining 2002, 2003 and 2004 regular Seagrave 1000 gpm pumpers still in first line service.