Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 02-16-2008

This one has me a bit confused - two ladder trucks at West Point that were photographed in April of 1976.

Ladder 1 is a 1948 American LaFrance 65' midship that was purchased from Hagerstown, Maryland.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Also at West Point and photographed what appears to be the same day was Ladder 9, a 1949 Chevrolet with a 1925 Seagrave 75' ladder.

Any input on the history of the West Point ladder trucks would be appreciated.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I will wrap up these first group of slides that I had prints made from with a variety from Fairfax County, Virginia.

In no particular order....

I know of one that has a definite love for the "slime" color. I think this one fits the bill.

Burke, Virginia

1974 Seagrave PB

1000/500

parts from this truck were used as a glider kit to build a 1984 Duplex/E-One engine for Burke.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Chantilly's 1951 Ford Big Job/American 500/500. Chantilly had a variety of trucks painted white and pumpers with the rear wind shield. Note the number 2 on the door - the second fire truck purchased by the Chantilly volunteers.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Lorton's 1969 Seagrave PB 1250/300. It was eventually sold to the Wintergreen, Virginia fire department.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Also at Lorton was this neat 1942 Chevrolet with a front mount pump.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

One of my favorite style of fire trucks ever made - the open cab Ford C. The Washington D.C. metropolitan area saw some of these Ford C/Youngs's in both Virginia and Maryland.

Herndon, Virginia in Fairfax County operated this 1968 Ford C/Young 1000/500 with Young serial number 68-216. When the volunteers at Herndon turned over their operations to the county in approximately 1977, this Ford went to the county and was repainted to the county colors. It was eventually sold with a group of other fire trucks from Fairfax County to the Dominican Republic.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

This 1962 International Loadstar with a 250 gpm pump and 300 gwt served as both a brush unit and squad truck for Franconia, Virginia. I believe the body is a Bruco from the emblem on the truck.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Penn Daw's 1956 Ford F/Oren rescue squad had a 250 gpm pump and 250 gwt. Unfortunately, it was destroyed in an accident in 1981 when it hit a Seagrave engine from Mt. Vernon Station 9 enroute to a call. It was last seen junked at the Brandywine, Maryland junk yard.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

A favorite of mine in Fairfax County - Great Falls Station 12 ran this impressive 1963 GMC/American with a 750 gpm pump and 1000 gallon water tank.

After serving Great Falls, it was sold to Greenwood, Virginia, was then sold to Linden, Virginia, to Zion Cross Roads, Virginia, and then to White Plains, Missouri. I am not sure of the disposition of this truck now.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

McLean, Virginia's 1973 Sutphen 85' ran as Tower 1. It also had a 1000/300 and Sutphen serial number 886.

Tower 1 was sold back to Sutphen in 1989. Sutphen rehabed it in 1990 and sold it to Slinger, Wisconsin.

This was the first aerial tower in Fairfax County.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - e290l103 - 02-16-2008

[quote name='mnsand' post='189445' date='Feb 16 2008, 14:01 ']I don't have much information on Red 375 from Washington National Airport. Two years are listed - 1959 and 1962. However, there is a serial number of 838662 listed. Does anyone have s/n information on older ALF's?

This photograph also taken in 1981.

Mike Sanders collection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

is it 838662 or 8-1-8662? I haven seen a 900 ALF with a middle number other than 1 the 8662 is the serial, its either a very late 1961 or very early 1962.

McLean, Virginia also operated this 1970 Pirsch with a 750/400. The department still owns this Pirsch, however a roof has been added.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Dive operations used to be handled by the Fairfax County fire department. The police now handle these operations. The Dive Unit for the fire department at one time operated this 1967 Ford F/Morysville.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Fairfax County's first HAZMAT squad was this 1963 GMC/Reading. It began its career in Fairfax County operating as Squad 9 and purchased by the volunteers at Mt. Vernon. When operations at Mt. Vernon were turned over to the county, this squad ran at a variety of stations.

This GMC quickly became overloaded with the amount of HAZMAT gear and tools that were required. It was eventually sold to Amissville, Virginia and then to New Market, Tennessee. I last saw that it was up for sale at Deep South fire truck sales.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

This was the first engine for Fire Station 31 in Fairfax County - Fox Mill. I was told that the Seagrave had originally been ordered by the Herndon, Virginia volunteers just prior to the volunteers turning over operations to the county. It arrived as a "county" engine and assigned to Station 31.

1977 Seagrave PB

1000/500

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Truck 25 in Reston, Virginia was a 1971 Seagrave 100' with a 250/150.

Truck 25 was originally assigned for a short time to Fairfax City Truck 3. I believe that was because Station 25 was not yet completed or open.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - davemcclung - 02-16-2008

Mike,

I am loving the old FFX County stuff. One of these days I will crack open the crate with my 96/97 shots from FFX CO to scan and post.

I will end this group with another of the nice open cab Ford C/Young engines.

Navy-Vale, Virginia also ordered one - a 1965 Ford C/Young 1000/500 with Young serial number 65-122. Navy-Vale sold the Ford to the Star Tannery VFD in Frederick County, Virginia (not far from Winchester). It is now owned privately and has been restored back to the Navy-Vale markings.

By the way, the Navy-Vale VFD later changed its name to the Fair Oaks VFD in Fairfax County.

That will end this group of old Virginia apparatus that I had made into prints from slides. There is another group that I will hopefully get done soon and will share those on firepics.

Mike Sanders collection

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' post='189509' date='Feb 16 2008, 17:00 ']is it 838662 or 8-1-8662? I haven seen a 900 ALF with a middle number other than 1 the 8662 is the serial, its either a very late 1961 or very early 1962.[/quote]

I don't know....the information that was on the slide was 838662.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA