Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Boston Fire Department - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Boston Fire Department (/showthread.php?tid=2106)

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 12-16-2007

Ladder 7

1989 E\-One Hurricane 110' RMA

Shaun Ryan Photo/Kemp Collection

Ladder 23

1988 E\-One Hurricane 110'RMA

Ladder 11

1988 E\-One Hurricane 110'RMA

[quote name='atlanticfiretrucks.com' post='171946' date='Dec 16 2007, 21:02 ']Engine 7

1989 E\-One Cyclone

1250/500

unknown photographer/kemp collection

(slide not tagged)

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=28664][/quote]

Question for those who would know.

What happend to this rig? I havent seen this rig in the spare pool at all.

-MB

[quote name='Lime Guy' post='158117' date='Oct 24 2007, 06:30 ']Note the lime command post. It had red/blue lights when first put in service. there was another lime piece that also had red/blue lights when put in service CAN YOU NAME IT????

Note red/blue lights in the front are illegal for fire apparatus in Mass.

Revere, Stoneham, and Arlington tried that too with negative results.[/quote]

Doesn't a Boston Rescue have a blue pod on it>??

Boston Fire Department - lexper40 - 12-17-2007

[quote name='atlanticfiretrucks.com' post='171946' date='Dec 16 2007, 21:02 ']Engine 7

1989 E\-One Cyclone

1250/500

unknown photographer/kemp collection

(slide not tagged)

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=28664][/quote]

I believe this was the first E\-One Engine ordered with an enclosed cab

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 12-17-2007

[quote name='JFong' post='23581' date='Aug 16 2006, 23:41 ']Whoops looks like I was a bit misinformed back there.

Upon closer inspection heres the breakdown on the CAFS trucks:

CAFS only: E2, E3, E4, E5, E41

All Steer only E8, E32

All Steer and CAFS E4[/quote]

Ladder 1 is also and allsteer

Yes the old rescue 1 has a blue pod and as I recall a tow truck in Southie has yellow the chorme or white speaker box and green (get it) which is also illegal. There was a whole discussion on MGL Chapter 90 on the Massachusetts thread.

[quote name='edburke' post='24392' date='Aug 19 2006, 18:10 ']Well, as a person that works for the City of Boston, alongside the Boston firefighters, I have heard their complaints. Boston is famous for their ladder work, and it's not uncommon to have three guys working at the tip of the stick. With the current Pierces, you can see a significant bow with just one guy at the tip, and the height of the siderails raises safety concerns when compared to the E-Ones-another issue that heavy duty aerials would address. As far as the tillers go, one has to look no further than 1 city north, to Somerville to see that a heavy duty aerial on a TDA doesn't have to be huge. I've seen Maxim TDA's, Seagrave TDA's with 4 door cabs, E-Ones with canopy cabs and 4 door cabs, and the Pierces in my 25 years of fire scene photography, and in my opinion, the 1976 Seagrave TDAs were the best aerial that the city had.[/quote]

Ed,

Correct me if I'm wrong but we have a Boston Spec 1988 E\-One 110' aerial...these things are actually considered medium duty aerials...if not light duty...and you are right about the Boston Jakes disliking the pierces...I havent heard one good comment about them from those guys. On the other hand people in FL LOVE the Pierce truck. It also seems like some of the guys at Boston R1 love that new Pierce though. But that's about it.

Boston Fire Department - edburke - 12-17-2007

[quote name='lfdtruckie343' post='172109' date='Dec 17 2007, 15:48 ']Ed,

Correct me if I'm wrong but we have a Boston Spec 1988 E\-One 110' aerial...these things are actually considered medium duty aerials...if not light duty...and you are right about the Boston Jakes disliking the pierces...I havent heard one good comment about them from those guys. On the other hand people in FL LOVE the Pierce truck. It also seems like some of the guys at Boston R1 love that new Pierce though. But that's about it.[/quote]

Dan,

I just re-read my post, and I can see some confusion in the way I worded it. I was referring to the Pierce medium duty aerials' bowing/tip load/rail height as compared to the Pierce heavy duty aerials. If the E\-One aerials are medium duty, I can only imagine what their heavy duty aerials can support (I'm mentally picturing something that looks like the Tobin Bridge).

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 12-18-2007

[quote name='edburke' post='172206' date='Dec 17 2007, 21:46 ']Dan,

I just re-read my post, and I can see some confusion in the way I worded it. I was referring to the Pierce medium duty aerials' bowing/tip load/rail height as compared to the Pierce heavy duty aerials. If the E\-One aerials are medium duty, I can only imagine what their heavy duty aerials can support (I'm mentally picturing something that looks like the Tobin Bridge).[/quote]

LOL...To be honest the tip load on our aerial is 250lbs w/o the safety factor...and i believe thats what bostons are...and they bounce a little but over all ours was north andovers old ladder one and has 60+k miles on it and was just refurbed just before we got it in 2005 and I'll tell you its a helluva truck...it can get up and go and w/ the 11' jack spread and 110' reach the thing can go ANYWHERE! I read someone elses post and E\-One still makes the hurricane cab, and I was looking at the new 110' they are coming back out with (i believe they went away for a while) and they look to be about the same except tandem axel. the heavy and even medium duty e-ones are crazy with rail heights...

Boston Fire Department - Ladder 68 - 12-18-2007

E\-One never truly quit making the 110' or 135' even. They are still available last I heard. The 110', with 4 out riggers on the single Boston configuration will still out perform similar length aerials from others even on tanedm axles and those termed heavy duty, super heavy duty, etc. The aerial width, hand rail height and stability is hands down the best of any.

Just a thought.

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 12-19-2007

Will E One make a 110 aerial on a single axile?

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 12-19-2007

I dont think that you can get anything over a 75' on a single axle. Due to weight requirements and federal law you must have a dual axle to meet the requirments.

Boston Fire Department - KDWMAEMT - 12-19-2007

We will see shortly. I just got word that Bostons 2 E\-One rearmounts have been delivered to Greenwood Emergency Vehicles. They are, as of now, lettered for Ladders 2 and 11. However, Im only going to take it all as a grain of salt until I either see them for myself or see pix of them.

Boston Fire Department - Ladder 68 - 12-19-2007

I believe they will build on a single axle still, a dry truck though. The issue for any department is not only will a maker build it on a single axle, but will local, state and federal laws allow it on the road that way or do they require tandems.

I was under the impression that Mass. had become quite restrictive on GVWR's and the like over the past few years as other north east states have.

Boston Fire Department - edburke - 12-19-2007

[quote name='Ladder 68' post='172502' date='Dec 19 2007, 18:35 ']I was under the impression that Mass. had become quite restrictive on GVWR's and the like over the past few years as other north east states have.[/quote]

Only if there's money to be made. Usually municipalities are exempt. Firefighters in MA can drive apparatus with just a class D license, while in any other capacity, a class C or B and CDL would be required for the same vehicle.

Boston Fire Department - SOlsonBFDL14 - 12-19-2007

[quote name='KDWMAEMT' post='172487' date='Dec 19 2007, 16:42 ']We will see shortly. I just got word that Bostons 2 E\-One rearmounts have been delivered to Greenwood Emergency Vehicles. They are, as of now, lettered for Ladders 2 and 11. However, Im only going to take it all as a grain of salt until I either see them for myself or see pix of them.[/quote]

That would be very interesting as Ladder 11 is currently running Ladder 17's old piece, which was originally Ladder 10's piece. It's a 1992, which replaced one of the last 1989 open-cab rigs. Ladder 21 had the other until they got Ladder 2's old piece, a 1993 model. I'd like to see L11 get a new piece, figure 19 years is long enough. I'm waiting for next year as Commissioner Fraser has let it be known that we already have SIX new rigs on order for 2008.

Boston Fire Department - KDWMAEMT - 12-19-2007

Like I said Skip, knowing that this is Boston, Ill believe the assignments when I see it. Theyve been known to break out the heat gun and change up the numbers by the minute. Its also possible that whomever saw the rigs mistook an 11 for a 17. If it wasnt such a long drive and crappy weather tomorrow, Id drive down there myself and look..............but since I really dont care that much, Im not going to do that.

It seems like 29/11 always got the crap end of rigs until this last engine. I wouldnt see 11s getting something new, but anything can happen.

Boston Fire Department - SOlsonBFDL14 - 12-21-2007

[quote name='KDWMAEMT' post='172487' date='Dec 19 2007, 16:42 ']We will see shortly. I just got word that Bostons 2 E\-One rearmounts have been delivered to Greenwood Emergency Vehicles. They are, as of now, lettered for Ladders 2 and 11. However, Im only going to take it all as a grain of salt until I either see them for myself or see pix of them.[/quote]

Further update: At the union meeting last night it was reported to the membership that the new trucks are designated for Ladders 2 & 9. Ladder 2 is currently running a 1985 E\-One spare and Ladder 9 is running a 1990 E\-One, one of the original 4 E\-One's ordered with the enclosed cab. The other 3 are at Ladder 25 (cab being replaced following an MVA), Ladder 28 and spare pool (formerly Ladder 10).