Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Garden State Oldies - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Garden State Oldies (/showthread.php?tid=2090)

Garden State Oldies - Guest - 03-13-2008

[quote name='njfdplfc5' post='196574' date='Mar 13 2008, 11:54 ']I remebr seeing someinthing once about the irvington Volunteer Rescue Squad was there such a unit[/quote]

Yes there was such an agency, I was a member of it from 1987-1990. When I joined, it was a Cinderella type story before the fairy godmother intervened. It was operated under OEM, who also had the auxiliary police. We were housed in the former fire headquarters on Durand Place, and had two light-duty utility type trucks.

The primary truck was a 1985 Chevy C-30 chassis with the semi-enclosed body from the former truck which was a 1968-1972 model. The secondary unit, which didn't see much use, was an open backed mid-late 70s Chevy C-30. Neither truck was in that great of shape when I was a member. There wasn't much rehab work done on the body of the old truck when it was remounted, so there was a considerable amout of rust-through on it.

The members of the Irvington Rescue Squad had visions of making it a respected and honorable service, but the town didn't necessarily see it that way. There were a few EMTs who could operate as first responders when an ambulance wasn't available, but the police wouldn't send them in many cases. The bulk of the squad work consisted of vehicle lockouts and cutting and removing fallen tree branches after a storm. There was no notification or pager system for off-hour incidents and the inservice time was only 6PM-midnight. For the most part the rescue squad was treated as the unwanted stepchild.

Eventually the town was convinced and a new truck was purchased in the early 90s, an International/Rescue 1 was placed in service. I was led to believe that in the late 90s or early 2000s the FD wanted the truck stationed at their headquarters so they could use it during the times the squad was not in service. Eventually this caused the morale to suffer and the squad disbanded.

Garden State Oldies - Guest - 03-19-2008

[quote name='njfdplfc5' post='196574' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:54 ']I remebr seeing someinthing once about the irvington Volunteer Rescue Squad was there such a unit[/quote]

[color="#0000FF"]Yes, Irvington did have a volunteer heavy rescue unit that was part of the Civil Defense program... I was a Lieutenant.

Back in the '70s, the outfit was very active, having crews on every night, 24-hours on weekends, and on-call members. We responded to all working fires, serious MVAs, and other jobs to assist the fire and police departments. In addition to fires and MVAs, I responded to lock-outs, a roof collapse, first-aid and animal calls, storm-related calls, a bridge wash-out, etc. I even rescued two elderly people trapped on the roof of their car by rising, chest-high flood waters.

We had three trucks: a heavy Diamond-Reo rescue truck, a light rescue truck, which was the first-out truck, and a lighting unit.

The unit began to become less active with the loss of many members, and was eventually disbanded, with the fire department taking over the equipment.

There was a reunion recently of all the old members.

Be Safe,

Hank
[/color]

Garden State Oldies - Guest - 03-19-2008

[quote name='ChiefHank' post='198089' date='Mar 19 2008, 14:39 '][color="#0000FF"]Yes, Irvington did have a volunteer heavy rescue unit that was part of the Civil Defense program... I was a Lieutenant.

Back in the '70s, the outfit was very active, having crews on every night, 24-hours on weekends, and on-call members. We responded to all working fires, serious MVAs, and other jobs to assist the fire and police departments. In addition to fires and MVAs, I responded to lock-outs, a roof collapse, first-aid and animal calls, storm-related calls, a bridge wash-out, etc. I even rescued two elderly people trapped on the roof of their car by rising, chest-high flood waters.

We had three trucks: a heavy Diamond-Reo rescue truck, a light rescue truck, which was the first-out truck, and a lighting unit.

The unit began to become less active with the loss of many members, and was eventually disbanded, with the fire department taking over the equipment.

There was a reunion recently of all the old members.

Be Safe,

Hank
[/color][/quote]

Hank,

I remember that blue and white Civil Defense Diamond Reo and the smaller trucks as well! As to the volunteer rescue squad, that's pretty much what I heard as well. PM headed your way

Garden State Oldies - Guest - 03-20-2008

Elwood, NJ

1955 Ford/Great Eastern

750/500

Ron Bogardus collection

Tauntan Lakes, NJ

1973 Imperial

1000/1500

Ron Bogardus collection

Bayville, Nj

1972 Imperial

1000/2000

Ron Bogardus collection

Berkeley Twp, NJ

1972 Imperial

1000/2000

Ron Bogardus collection

Rockleigh, NJ

1950 Macl Quad

750/250

Ex-Cresskill, NJ

Ron Bogardus photo

[quote name='IFD39' post='198178' date='Mar 20 2008, 15:07 ']Hank,

I remember that blue and white Civil Defense Diamond Reo and the smaller trucks as well! As to the volunteer rescue squad, that's pretty much what I heard as well. PM headed your way[/quote]

[color="#0000FF"]Here's a picture my Dad took of me with the Chevrolet light-duty rescue, circa 1970. The lieutenant on duty rode this vehicle and it was first out on all calls. The photo was taken at our original Mill Road quarters.[/color]

Those Imperials are nice looking rigs, and that Mack Quad is great!

[quote name='ChiefHank' post='198360' date='Mar 20 2008, 15:58 '][color="#0000FF"]Here's a picture my Dad took of me with the Chevrolet light-duty rescue, circa 1970. The lieutenant on duty rode this vehicle and it was first out on all calls. The photo was taken at our original Mill Road quarters.[/color][/quote]

Hank, boy, that pic brings back memories! I remember that Chevy quite well. If I recall correctly, some guys rode in the back at times. I'd love to see a photo of the big Diamond Reo CD truck--that was a monster! Thanks for the picture!

[quote name='IFD39' post='198431' date='Mar 21 2008, 13:31 ']Hank, boy, that pic brings back memories! I remember that Chevy quite well. If I recall correctly, some guys rode in the back at times. I'd love to see a photo of the big Diamond Reo CD truck--that was a monster! Thanks for the picture![/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]Photo by Hank Przybylowicz Sr.[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]Opps... sorry... I have to stand corrected. The first-out rig was a GMC, with bodywork done by Wendel & Son, an Irvington firm.

Yes, Mike, guys did ride in back. There was an open deck on the back with a closed crew-cab that could seat four men comfortably. We rode the back deck most of the time. On the rare occasion we would transport victims to the hospital, they would ride in the crew-cab.

The crew on duty manned first-out Rig 602, which was a lieutenant, a driver, and anywhere from one to three other men. They rode in the back. When the lieutenant arrived at the scene, he would determine if the big truck (Rig 601) was needed, and he would call the base and tell them what to roll, as far as additional manpower.

Here is a head-on shot of Rig 602... it was taken at the Squad BBQ on July 4, 1971, as was the first picture I posted.
[/color]

[quote name='ChiefHank' post='198478' date='Mar 20 2008, 20:32 '][color="#FF0000"]Photo by Hank Przybylowicz Sr.[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]Opps... sorry... I have to stand corrected. The first-out rig was a GMC, with bodywork done by Wendel & Son, an Irvington firm.

Yes, Mike, guys did ride in back. There was an open deck on the back with a closed crew-cab that could seat four men comfortably. We rode the back deck most of the time. On the rare occasion we would transport victims to the hospital, they would ride in the crew-cab.

The crew on duty manned first-out Rig 602, which was a lieutenant, a driver, and anywhere from one to three other men. They rode in the back. When the lieutenant arrived at the scene, he would determine if the big truck (Rig 601) was needed, and he would call the base and tell them what to roll, as far as additional manpower.

Here is a head-on shot of Rig 602... it was taken at the Squad BBQ on July 4, 1971, as was the first picture I posted.
[/color][/quote]

Another great pic from the past! I see the white "hard hat" on the rear of the rig--I have a great picture of the Seaboard Plastics and Roofing fire from the Irvington Herald which shows a group of IFD firemen and a Rescue Squad guy wearing that type of helmet while manning a deluge gun. The Rescue guy has a big thick dark mustache. If I can, I'll scan it an post it.

Posted this on the Hahn thread, but thought I'd add it here because it qualifies as an "oldie from NJ" as well.

1978 Hahn from Irvington 1250gpm/500

Credit to the photographer.

And one from the officer's side:

Garden State Oldies - Engine2524 - 03-21-2008

[quote name='The Commish' post='198355' date='Mar 20 2008, 15:43 ']Tauntan Lakes, NJ

1973 Imperial

1000/1500

Ron Bogardus collection[/quote]

Don,

This rig has a 1000 gallon water tank. In my opinion, this was the best truck that my fire company ever had.

Garden State Oldies - Guest - 03-21-2008

[quote name='IFD39' post='198483' date='Mar 21 2008, 14:40 ']Another great pic from the past! I see the white "hard hat" on the rear of the rig--I have a great picture of the Seaboard Plastics and Roofing fire from the Irvington Herald which shows a group of IFD firemen and a Rescue Squad guy wearing that type of helmet while manning a deluge gun. The Rescue guy has a big thick dark mustache. If I can, I'll scan it an post it.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]Photo by Hank Przybylowicz Sr.[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]Hey, Mike,

Actually, the hard hats the men wore were blue and the officers wore white.

I have that news clipping, and the actual photo, from the Herald showing the guys on the deluge set. There are both Irvington and Newark firefighters in the pic, along with two guys from Rescue. The guy with the moustache was Lieutenant Marty Cohen, and the guy bending over trying to grasp the line is yours truly! My Dad took the pic, and I have others.

When we arrived at that fire, we were met by a wall of flaming tar pouring from the overhead doors of the warehouse. We were advised ny radio there was an explosion and an employee was reported trapped in the building. I put a Scott-Pak on when we arrived, but we couldn't get near the building due to the tremendous amount of fire in the street. Even after the running fire was knocked down there was no way we were gonna get in that building.

A have attached a photo of the fire here that my Dad took, which appeared in the Newark Star-Ledger. That's me with the Scott-Pak on. After I found there was no way to enter the building I was advising the Irvington guys that some of the wires downed by the explosion were still live.

Sorry guys, I know the picture is off-topic on this board, but it's just kinda keeping in line with the convo that started here.

Mike? I have other shots, including the victim, that I will scan and send to you via e-mail.
[/color]

Hank, that's a great picture. The one I have must have been taken a little while later, because the deluge gun is set up and discharging into the doorway on the right. In addition to the deck gun, there are two hand lines in operation. I will get it scanned and send it to you.

And I apologize for taking a slight detour from the topic...we now return you to your original programming.

Irvington NJ 1951 Mack L serving as Engine 1...photo taken at the Training Tower

[quote name='IFD39' post='198617' date='Mar 22 2008, 02:44 ']And I apologize for taking a slight detour from the topic...we now return you to your original programming.

Irvington NJ 1951 Mack L serving as Engine 1...photo taken at the Training Tower[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]Photo taken by Capt. Bob Meeker, NFD Photo Unit[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]To make up for the detour, here's a bit of old Newark "iron"...

Newark Wagon 9 - Register 65 - 1960 International "B-186"/Bean - 500 GPM/300 Gal. Tank - Serial #SB71663 - Equipped with a hydraulic Chicksan deck gun - Cost - $22,000

Placed in service with Wagon 9 on March 24, 1960, and scrapped on August 3, 1974.

There were two of these purchased, with its sister rig going to Wagon 20.
[/color]