Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Empire State Oldies - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Empire State Oldies (/showthread.php?tid=2091)

Empire State Oldies - matchot - 01-23-2009

[quote name='LFD_John' post='275930' date='Jan 22 2009, 19:16 ']I think it's a GMC/Maday Truck Body (local body builder.) Body was originally on a '48-ish Ford F series, and remounted on the GMC in the early '80s. Unknown where that truck is today.[/quote]

And Mayday is now called Unicell Body Company with shops in Rochester,Buffalo,Albany, and Toronto Ontario Canada, which I used to do lots of driving for. Another tidbit from one of the older gents who used to work at Unicell, and also for Mayday, was that they were also affiliated with Young. Apparaently from wht this gent told me, Mayday became a spin off of Young from some of the folks who worked at Young, and they decided to go out on their own, and the rest is history, as Mayday became Unicell, and is still in business, building mostly high cube vans,stake body trucks, and dump trucks, and also installing snow plows. Unicell does work and the occasional smaller fire truck like utility vehicles, and or brush-mini pumpers, light rescues and mainly puts on the winches and such. When I was driving for them several times when I was at the albany shop they were working on various small fire vehicles, and a couple of times here at the Rochester shop they were working on light rescue trucks. Someplace around here I have some pics of a couple of them, and will post them in another thread once I find them. Thanks John for the info, and now that you mentioned it, I also think Mayday may have built one for Webster FD as well, and quite possibly a few others here in Monroe County, and possibly Wayne County as well.

[quote name='LFD_John' post='275931' date='Jan 22 2009, 19:24 ']Ah yes, the infamous disk camera. Amazing how it could produce anything from really grainy to really good pictures, I think it depended on what batch of film you happened to get.

Yes, Ridge Culver had 2 of these, about 2 years apart, not sure which one this is, but the older one was gas - 5 spd manual trans - hyd brakes, the newer one was diesel - autamatic trans - air brakes.

Jeff, can't really make it out, but is that one of the brothers Loce at the wheel?

John H.[/quote]

John I'm not sure it kinda does look like Rich a bit, but I can't quite make him out either, if not one of the Loce's it may be Greg Merrick. I'll have to check with Chief Burkovich, and see if he knows who it is, it seems when I sent him a copy of this pic, that he knew who it was. BTW, did you ever get into some of your old pics John? I know I sure would enjoy seeing some of your stuff, and I've gotta get with John Smith at Webster, as he has tons of old stuff from there, and many other local dept's as well.

Empire State Oldies - Guest - 01-23-2009

Liverpool,NY

1973 American LaFrance 100'

Ron Bogardus collection

Woodlawn, Ny

1500/200

Ron Bogardus collection

Hamburg, NY

1977 American LaFrance 100'

1500/200

Ron Bogardus collection

Empire State Oldies - GA_Dave - 01-23-2009

Quote:Woodlawn, Ny

1500/200

Now serving Gowanda, NY

Empire State Oldies - jwh - 01-23-2009

[quote name='matchot' post='275961' date='Jan 23 2009, 00:15 ']John I'm not sure it kinda does look like Rich a bit, but I can't quite make him out either, if not one of the Loce's it may be Greg Merrick. I'll have to check with Chief Burkovich, and see if he knows who it is, it seems when I sent him a copy of this pic, that he knew who it was. BTW, did you ever get into some of your old pics John? I know I sure would enjoy seeing some of your stuff, and I've gotta get with John Smith at Webster, as he has tons of old stuff from there, and many other local dept's as well.[/quote]

I think I saw a box of pictures in the attic last time I was up there - have to make a mental note to go up there and look on my next day off (next tues or weds.)......You still have that slide - to- digital converter???

John H.

[quote name='LFD_John' post='276127' date='Jan 23 2009, 19:19 ']I think I saw a box of pictures in the attic last time I was up there - have to make a mental note to go up there and look on my next day off (next tues or weds.)......You still have that slide - to- digital converter???

John H.[/quote]

Yes John I sure do, matter of fact it won't work on my new puter, because it's not compatible with Windows Vista, so I may be getting rid of it, unless I can get another puter which is set up with Windows XP.

Empire State Oldies - matchot - 01-30-2009

This 19?? GMC/??? Engine sat outside the Indian Falls substation of the Pembrooke ,NY FD for quite a few years for sale, then the sign in the window disappeared one day in summer of 2006, but the truck was still there, and sitting in various positions on the property, then one day all of a sudden in early 2007 it was just gone. I took this pic in 2004 on one of my many trips out that way, and every time I stopped to look at the rig, I could never find any kind of markings on it to find out who made it. I have no idea as to where the rig wound up, but it was in quite good shape. GA Dave, any ideas on this one?

This ALF engine used to serve the Throop, NY FD. Sorry I don't have any info on some of these rigs, as they were taken at the 2004 Weedsport, NY Parade. I don't know if it still serves them to this day or not.

This ALF engine served the Owasco, NY FD.

This ALF engine formerly served the Baldwinsville, NY FD. The rig was designated as E-3 when it was in service.

Here's an officers side view of the former Baldwinsville, NY ALF engine.

This 198? E\-One Quint formerly served the City of Rochester,NY FD as Quint-7 before being sent to it's new home in Aurelius,NY. As far as I know this Quint still runs in front line service with the Aurelius FD to this day. (Note to self road trip to southern Cayuga County this spring, LOL)

This interesting Chevrolet/Young formerly served the Port Byron, NY FD. When I took this pic in 2004 at the Weedsport,NY Parade it was still owned by the FD, but I don't know if they still own it today or not. GA Dave should have the serial numbers for this rig I'm sure, as I can't find my notes on it right now, they are buried in a box in the closet.

[quote name='matchot' post='275544' date='Jan 20 2009, 22:01 ']Next up is this Dodge mini pumper possibly a Pierce which used to serve the Crystal Beach (Ontario County) NY FD. This picture was taken in 1978[/quote]

Here's a pic of the Ford mini pumper rig which replaced this Dodge mini pumper at Crystal Beach FD. this rig has also been replaced since i took this pic in 2004.

This Chevrolet brush truck used to serve the Phelps,NY FD.

This ALF engine used to serve the Utica,NY FD as a reserve engine. I shot this in 2004 while visiting Utica and pixing with John K of CNY firetrucks. Not sure if it's still around now or not.

This Ford C/Saulsbury Heavy Rescue was still serving the East Branch,NY FD in 2004. It may very well still be in service to this day, or could have been replaced. Anyone from down that way know?

This Mack Tanker formerly served the Hancock,NY FD. this rig has been replaced with a newer Mack Tanker.