Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 07-20-2007

Pulaski's Unit 2 is a 1996 Freightliner 80/3D Metals 1250/1000. It has serial number 2822.

One thing I did see quite a bit of in SW Virginia were apparatus built by 3D Metals. I was told there was a dealer who sold 3D in this area.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Unit 8 at Pulaski was delayed in being delivered to the fire department because of the restructuring that occurred at American LaFrance during the time this engine was built.

2003 Amerian LaFrance

1250/1000

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

I found another American LaFrance at Pulaski sitting out in the back parking lot, but this one a bit smaller.

Unit 4 is a 2002 Ford F550/Amerian LaFrance Fas Tak 350/400.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Photo opportunities are a bit tight at Pulaski with the station having very little ramp room and close to traffic. This was a common occurance with the SW Virginia stations.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 07-20-2007

Mike,

You posted five rigs from Pulaski. Is that all of them, or are there more?

Jerry

After Pulaski I made a quick stop at Atkins, Virginia in Smyth County. Atkins has a new Sutphen which I wanted to see. Sutphen is not uncommon in the Virginia area, especially with stations along the Shenandoah I81 area. What is a bit uncommon is a commerical Sutphen, which is what Atkins received.

702 is a 2005 International 4400/2006 Sutphen with serial number HS4116.

This was a demonstrator pumper that was located in California. Members from Atkins flew out to California to look at it, and it was ultimately purchased and made it way to Atkins.

This is when the weather started to become quite cloudy with on and off rain.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Atkins also purchased an engine last year from Rugby, Virginia. While at Rugby, it was painted white.

Members at Atkins had the pumper repainted where it now runs as Unit 701.

1987 Ford/FMC

1250/1000

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

There is something about older Swab trucks that I just like.

Atkins upgraded an older Ford/Swab with a new Ford front end in 1999.

Unit 704 is a 1999 Ford F350/1972 Swab. It once had a 1972 Ford F350 on the front. Glade Spring, Virginia previously had this truck prior to Atkins.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 07-20-2007

Mike,

I'm sure there were two, and I believe there were four of these in Henrico. They were nicknamed the "Frog" because they were thought to be ugly. Here is the only one in my collection during better days.

Jerry

Atkins station...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

From Atkins I drove to Abingdon, Virginia. Unfortunately, the fire station was closed up tight and I did not have time to try and track someone down. I believe that photos of their apparatus (Pierce) have been posted on other threads in Firepics.

Not far from the fire station is the Washington County Life Saving Crew station. I found several interesting small rescues.

Rescue 50

1999 Dodge Ram 2500/Taylor Made Ambulance

Taylor Made is out of Newport, Arkansas.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Rescue 51 is a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 1990's Taylor Made body.

At this point, it just poured and we had a good thunder/lighting storm. Later on in the afternoon, I had to continue towards Norton, Virginia to my hotel, so I figured my apparatus shooting was done for the day. Wrong.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

While on my way to Norton, I came across Castlewood, Virginia in Russell County. Driving by, I noticed the bay doors were up so I had to stop. I had the opportunity to meet with a great group of folks who took the time to move everything out and even take me to their small substation.

The fire department and rescue squad in Castlewood combined, and the majority of the apparatus run out of one station. The old rescue station houses several apparatus and a small boat.

Here is what is at the main station...

Engine 504

1999 Freightliner 80/3D Metals

1250/1000

serial number 3135

Interesting graphics.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Castlewood now owns two older pumpers that once saw service in Abingdon, Virginia.

503 is a 1973 Ford C/Oren top mount 750/500 with serial number 3335.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Two tankers operate from the main station, and I am going to need some help from our Pennsylvania members.

505 is a 1975 Chevrolet/1974 Techweld that carries 1600 gallons of water and has a small portable pump.

On the inside of the cab is a FMC sticker that was ripped and torn, and there was no serial number. It appears that this Chevrolet was once a FMC pumper. At some point, a 1974 Techweld tanker body (obviously from another truck) was added to the Chevrolet. It was later sold to Castlewood.

Now the really big clue for the Pennsylvania members - the Castlewood members think that the Pennsylvania department that they purchased this tanker from was pronounced something like "Nippennose". No, I am not joking. One member even said he had a hat at home from the Pennsylvania station that had the name on it and he could drive home to get it, but it may take awhile to find it. No kidding - now is that hospitality!! I appreciated the thought but did not have the time as I wanted to get to Norton before dark.

Any ideas on "Nippennose"? Please try and keep wise cracks to a minimum.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

The second tanker at Castlewood is a newer unit.

506 is a 2006 Ford F750 with a tanker body built by Virginian, which is located in Richlands, Virginia. It holds 2000 gallons with a small portable pump.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Squad duties at Castlewood are handled by this small rescue truck, which is a 2006 Ford F350 with a Reading body. The department also did work on Rescue 17, such as adding the scene lights, etc.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Castlewood Unit 502 is an all purpose vehicle and can also serve as a brush truck if needed (carrying equipment only - no pump and tank). It is a 1993 Ford Bronco donated to the deparment.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Castlewood's main station...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

A mile or so down from the main station is Castlewood's second station that houses an engine, equipment truck, and small boat.

501 is a 1984 Ford C/FMC 1000/750 that once served at Abindgon, Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va