Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 05-04-2008

Extrication duties as well as a small cascade unit are handled by Rescue 6, a 1994 Freightline/Rescue Master.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Brush duties are handled by Brush 4, a 1988 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 30 complete with a 250 gallon water tank.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Two antique trucks that previously served at Altavista are still in the area. Altavista VFD still owns their first motorized fire truck, a 1934 Ford/Barton 360/100. Sorry, this one was not moving, so you get the indoor station shot.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I was really sorry to see this, but fortunately this one can still be repaired. A fire department member owns Altavista's 1945 Ford and had it stored in a building that caught on fire. The fire did some obvious damage to the truck. It now sits out on the side of the Altavista fire station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

As I mentioned, the Altavista station use to be an old Food Lion grocery store. Today the building is shared by the fire house and a medical office.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I will finish up with Chatham VFD located in Pittsylvania County not far from Danville, Virginia. I was heading home early afternoon for a longer trip back to Northern Virginia when I came up to the Chatham exit. Ever had one of those moments when you recognize a town/city name and think they have something a bit unusual but you just cannot remember what? I really did a quick head debate whether to get off the exit and find the FD knowing that it would put me behind schedule to get home. Glad I did.

As with many of these small Virginia towns, nobody was home at the FD but the business across the street told me the Fire Chief worked at the appliance store in town and I might find him there. After peaking into the station bay doors, I definitely wanted to find the Fire Chief. I did, and he was extrememly nice and had one of Chatham's Captains meet me at the station 15 minutes later for photos.

First up at Chatham is Engine 211, a 1995 Freightliner 80/E-One 1250/1000/35 with s/n 15335.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Engine 212 at Chatham is a 2007 Pierce Contender with a 1250/1000 and job number 8037153.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is what the Pierce Contender replaced - old Engine 212 is this 1986 Ford C8000/FMC Rough Neck with a 1000/1000, serial number 5245, and for sale.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is what I loved about the stop at Chatham - they are operating an old FDNY aerialscope and it still looks very much like FDNY.

Ladder 21 in Chatham is a 1970 Mack CF600/Baker with a 75'. It carries Mack serial number 1128. Within the cab is still the FDNY shop number - MT7103. Thanks to Mike (E290L103), I learned that this Mack CF originally started out as FDNY Ladder 107 (where Mike says it saw heavy fire duty), and then went to a slower house at L-164. In approximately 1982, the ladder went to Chatham.

Chatham is seriously considering replacing the Mack in the near future, so I was happy to have the opportunity to get photos of Ladder 21.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Officers side of Ladder 21...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Chatham's Tanker 216 is this 2002 Freightliner/Pierce 1000/2000 with job number 12935.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Brush 215 from Chatham is this 1999 Ford F350/Slagle's 200/250/12.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Last from Chatham and last for this segment is the Chatham VFD.

Hope you enjoyed!

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 05-05-2008

To all of you who have asked about RAY DOYLE, I am out of state this week. I am going to stay in touch with RAY'S family and will provide updates if possible. I hoping Firepixer John Friis will see this and provide an address. I know he was checking for one when I left home. I believe he is in Norfolk General in the heart wing if this helps.

Jerry

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 05-05-2008

[quote name='firemag' post='211140' date='May 5 2008, 07:38 ']To all of you who have asked about RAY DOYLE, I am out of state this week. I am going to stay in touch with RAY'S family and will provide updates if possible. I hoping Firepixer John Friis will see this and provide an address. I know he was checking for one when I left home. I believe he is in Norfolk General in the heart wing if this helps.

Jerry[/quote]

All;

I spoke to Ray's daughter last night. Ray did very well through the surgury and is making all of his recovery progress points. She's says that Ray must be feeling much better as he is starting to complain about the hospital food. He may go home on wednesday. They are going to get him to start walking around today. I have his home address for those interested, please contact me off of the list.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Engine2524 - 05-05-2008