Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Los Angeles County Fire Dept - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Los Angeles County Fire Dept (/showthread.php?tid=1972)

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - Image7801 - 07-14-2011

[size="4"]L3[/size]

[size="4"]L4 & L5[/size]

[size="4"]L6[/size]

[size="4"]L7[/size]

[size="4"]R1 - No photo

Here is compartment R2

[/size]

[size="4"]R3[/size]

[size="4"]R4[/size]

[size="4"]R5[/size]

[size="4"]R6[/size]

[size="4"]Finally, R7[/size]

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - b9208 - 07-14-2011

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1310669263' post='448272']

[size="4"]Finally, R7[/size]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=76765]

[/quote]

Thank you very much for the compartment shots - always curious what they carried and how it was laid out. Did the USAR tender carry additional different tools, or just a smaller variety of what is carried on the big truck? Is there any chance that you have compartment shots of the tender and / or the heavy wrecker? (sorry, its an addiction....)

For guys from California and west coast, do the hydraulic "speed shores" get alot of use in actual trench incidents? I see the rig also carries Paratech struts - just curious because it seems the east coast is almost entirely Paratech or ART struts. Hydraulic shores are fast, but somewhat limited (at least in my experience) when the trench walls are all out of whack after a collapse.

Thanks again for the photos - great shots of the apparatus and the event.

Gary

[quote name='b9208' timestamp='1310683339' post='448281']

Thank you very much for the compartment shots - always curious what they carried and how it was laid out. Did the USAR tender carry additional different tools, or just a smaller variety of what is carried on the big truck? Is there any chance that you have compartment shots of the tender and / or the heavy wrecker? (sorry, its an addiction....)

For guys from California and west coast, do the hydraulic "speed shores" get alot of use in actual trench incidents? I see the rig also carries Paratech struts - just curious because it seems the east coast is almost entirely Paratech or ART struts. Hydraulic shores are fast, but somewhat limited (at least in my experience) when the trench walls are all out of whack after a collapse.

Gary

[/quote]

Gary - Unfortunately nobody was around the rescue tender and the compartments were closed (I was curious myself).

The Heavy Rescue (i.e. really big wrecker) had a few compartments open, but I didn't get any shots. The couple that I saw open had a lot of heavy chains with hooks hanging inside. It also looked like they might have some lifting bags, too.

Heavy Rescue 103

Rear of HR 103

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - hp1530 - 07-14-2011

Gary

[/quote]

The rescue tender carries all the miscellaneous and other quick access gear the team needs. Sometimes if the team needs to reach a more remote area that the big truck cannot reach, they will throw some gear on the rescue tender and drive in with it. The officer's side of the truck is mostly for RIT gear.

The first compartment on the officers side carries all their RIT equipment (tools, rope, chargers, batteries). The compartment over the wheel carries rope rescue equipment.

The front compartment on the driver's side has the driver's PPE and SCBA. The rest of comparments on the driver's side carries forcible entry tools (saws, hand tools) and a cutting torch.

In the rear of the box, there is a slide out shelf that carries a rebreather and a litter basket with wheels. Also another interesting feature is even though the unit has a crew cab, the back seats have been removed and replaced with a rack for the firefighter to carry his/her gear bags.The FF's carry a lot of different protective gear as well as their personal equipment.

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - hp1530 - 07-14-2011

Gary

[/quote]

For the heavy rescue (the wrecker) most of the compartments carry chains, snatch blocks, swivels, slings, shackles and other rigging equipment. One compartment has a large tool box build inside of it.

All this equipment is in addition to all the PPE, SCBA, medical gear, power tools, generator and cribbing. Unit also carries a full set of Amkus hydraulic rescue tools, power unit, spreaders, cutters, rams.

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - Guest - 07-15-2011

[quote name='Monrovia1' timestamp='1274582570' post='383178']

[Image: 116.jpg]

LA County FDNY Tribute Engine.

[/quote]

Very nice tribute.

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - jim kay - 07-15-2011

Hey jfong thats interesting about the heavy rescue's equipment..... If its possible can we get walk around photos of this unit and its equipment cache.... Sounds interesting with what it carries above the normal wrecker type equip. thanks for the description....

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - hp1530 - 07-15-2011

[quote name='jim kay' timestamp='1310734823' post='448362']

Hey jfong thats interesting about the heavy rescue's equipment..... If its possible can we get walk around photos of this unit and its equipment cache.... Sounds interesting with what it carries above the normal wrecker type equip. thanks for the description....

[/quote]

Sure can, I'll see if I have a chance to post them later. From looking at the unit, they borrowed ideas from the LAFD Heavy Rescue. Both the LAFD and LA County rigs are set up to be both a heavy rescue (with a crane) or in a pinch a tow truck.

Los Angeles County Fire Dept - Guest - 07-15-2011

Gary,

I will contact Chief Larry Collins (SOC) and see what I can find out for compartment photos of HR-103. Will send you anything I get.

John