Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Chicago Fire Department - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Chicago Fire Department (/showthread.php?tid=2101)

Chicago Fire Department - whb324fd - 02-15-2010

Here's an old picture I purchased at Valhall in the 1970's of a 196? Intnl wrecker. It looks like it was at their shops.

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 02-16-2010

[quote name='firepost' date='31 January 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1264997771' post='361504']

Yes Steve Skaar is correct ,in Ken Little's "History of Chicago Fire House's" Snorkels 6 and 7 are listed as 70 footers.That was somewhat surprising as most Snorkel's tended to be built in denominations of 5 such 65,75 and 85 feet.

The International Harvester Erlinders that were assigned to SS-1 and SS-2 were on 1956/62's and not 1957 models. They were originally the cab's and chassis for two of five 1956 model High Pressure Wagons.

[/quote]

I purchased the first 3 volumes of "History of Chicago Fire Houses" a few years back and heard rumors of a Volume 4 coming out. Did it ever get published?

Chicago Fire Department - ACPD227 - 02-16-2010

[quote name='davedubo' date='16 February 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1266346727' post='364433']

I purchased the first 3 volumes of "History of Chicago Fire Houses" a few years back and heard rumors of a Volume 4 coming out. Did it ever get published?

[/quote]

Yes volume 4 is out. I bought 1 in july.

Chicago Fire Department - firepost - 02-16-2010

[quote name='Srresquire' date='12 February 2010 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1265988810' post='363718']

a 3-11 1420 Morse in 1958..I think this may be 70..Photo by my Dad

[/quote]

That was a nice shot Steve, however Engine 70 was using a 1954 Mack and that rig pumping on Morse was a 1948/49 Mack so it was more likely Engine 102, which was assigned a 1948/49 Mack and was the first due Engine at that location.

Chicago Fire Department - jgohio - 02-16-2010

[quote name='Steve Loftin' date='16 February 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1266366872' post='364513']

Copies of this GREAT book can be found on eBay, with prices ranging from $60-75.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/History-of-Chicago-Fire-Houses-20th-Century-Vol-4-2074_W0QQitemZ390051154110QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item5ad0dc48be

[/quote]

Any way to get it other than eBay? I sent an e-mail to the Chicago Fire Museum and got no answer.

I also have purchased the first 3 volums and they are great.

Joe

Chicago Fire Department - rpcarlsen - 02-16-2010

I bought it from the chicago and cop shop.

http://www.chicagofireandcopshop.com/categories.asp?cID=1&p=3

Chicago Fire Department - firepost - 02-17-2010

[quote name='MFD 61 KS' date='31 January 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1264998590' post='361506']

Question: Did the firemen staff the Ambulances or did civilan personel? Also can anyone give us a run down on Reserve Snorkel 1? What a cool rig. Are they planning to keep it? Why did CFD drop the Snorkel's except for what I still call Snorkel Squads?

Thanks in advsnce.

Stay Safe, Rick

[/quote]

Rick,firemen had traditionally served on the Ambulances until the 1970's.In July of 1970 the city had put Ambulances 31 through 38 in service which were under the auspices of the Federal Governments "Model Cities" program.The 8 new "Model Cities Ambulances" were not really Fire Department ambulances even though they did run out of Chicago Fire Stations.The Model Cities Ambulances were designated to respond in specified "Model Cities" area's which were low income and economically disadvantaged. Within those specified districts the Model Cities Ambulances made "private residence removals" to the nearest certified staffed emergency room equipped hospital. The regular Chicago Fire Department Ambulances were not permitted to remove patients from their private residences and while the Fire Department ambulances would respond to a private residence and would provide oxygen , resuscitation and first aid services but if the patient needed to be removed to an emergency room ,a private Ambulance would have to be called for. An irony is that while the Chicago Fire Department Ambulances weren't permitted to make "home removals", the Chicago Police Departments "Squadrols" (which were Vans that were used to transport prisoners and remove dead bodies to the morgue)were allowed to make "sick removals" from peoples residences and serve as ambulances despite the fact that they weren't equipped with oxygen and weren't really an ambulance.The new Model Cities's ambulances had civilians (some who were Vietnam war veteran's)working on them.

Two years after the 8 Model Cities ambulances were put in service the City of Chicago had changed it's rules and the Official Fire Department Ambulances were permitted to remove patients from private residences. That happened in 1972.

In 1974 when the Chicago Fire Department had put it's first "Paramedic" ALS ambulances in service the City of Chicago began hiring civilian paramedics under a federally funded program.The eight "Model Cities" ambulances were absorbed into the Fire Department and eventually became Paramedic Ambulances and they did away with "Model Cities" designation.

As to your second question the reason why Fire Commissioner Louis Galante had taken our "Snorkel companies" out of service in September of 1983 was because they "weren't very busy" and he felt that by having 3 of them run as the second section to 3 of our Squad companies they would be busier and they would be put to better use.

You have to remember that in Chicago our old Snorkel companies were specialty companies that only ran on "extra alarm" fires and special duty calls when requested and by the 1980's our extra alarm fire rate had gone down. In most cities that ran with Snorkels the Snorkels had run as Truck or Ladder companies but because our Snorkels didn't go unless the Snorkel was likely to be used they could remain in quarters for quite a while without going out on an extra alarm fire. At the time of the "consolidation of the Snorkels and Squads we had 6 Snorkels and 6 Squads in service so three of the Squads and Snorkels were taken out of service and the other 3 were combined.

The Chicago Fire Department did run with a Snorkel Squad until 1980 when it was taken out of service to be replaced by a new "District numbered" Squad company during a Fire Department reorganization. Before we took Snorkel Squad 1 out of service in 1980 Chicago had run with both Snorkel companies and with a separate Snorkel Squad company as well. Before May of 1969 Chicago had run with three Snorkel Squad companies.

Because our Reserve Snorkel (a 1982 Seagrave Pierce) had only been in service as a Snorkel company for not more then a year before our Snorkel companies were taken out of service in 1983 it was used as our primary Reserve Snorkel as it was not used that much to begin with.

In late 1985 and early 1986 our first 6 Tower Ladders were put in service as Truck Companies which would keep them busier than our old Snorkel companies that only ran on Still and Box alarms and higher. Our Tower Ladders also had Still and Box districts so they would also be used at extra alarm fires like our old Snorkels were used. A Still and Box alarm in Chicago is much like the 2nd alarm in most other cities.

Hope that answers your questions, Rick.

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 02-17-2010

And to confuse things even more. The CFD ambulances still have civilan medics that arent firefighters that are members of the CFD and in the IAFF, The supression companies have sworn paramedics that are firefighters that dont ride the ambulance

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 02-17-2010

[quote name='jgohio' date='16 February 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1266372488' post='364557']

Any way to get it other than eBay? I sent an e-mail to the Chicago Fire Museum and got no answer.

I also have purchased the first 3 volums and they are great.

Joe

[/quote]

Just go directly to the source and co-author, Fr. John McNalis. I just spoke with Fr.John on the phone and he says anyone intested in Volume 4 send a check made out to him for $65 and $6.19 for s&h. Fr.John's address is 3219 West Dickens Chicago, IL. 60647. Fr. John said that Volume 1 is sold out but he still has copies of Volumes 2, 3, and 4.

Chicago Fire Department - jgohio - 02-18-2010

[quote name='davedubo' date='17 February 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1266436610' post='364647']

Just go directly to the source and co-author, Fr. John McNalis. I just spoke with Fr.John on the phone and he says anyone intested in Volume 4 send a check made out to him for $65 and $6.19 for s&h. Fr.John's address is 3219 West Dickens Chicago, IL. 60647. Fr. John said that Volume 1 is sold out but he still has copies of Volumes 2, 3, and 4.

[/quote]

Thanks.

Joe

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 02-21-2010

Suprised that no one posted this or I just missed it. CFD signed a contract with Crimson for 30 ladder trucks. That's all I know and it was posted on crimsons website along with an order for 51 pumpers.

Chicago Fire Department - Ladder 68 - 02-21-2010

You had to see that coming after they pulled the award from E\-One...

Chicago Fire Department - drfeelgood - 02-21-2010

[quote name='Ladder 68' date='21 February 2010 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1266799714' post='365432']

You had to see that coming after they pulled the award from E\-One...

[/quote]

Why did they the award from E\-One??

Chicago Fire Department - firepost - 02-21-2010

[quote name='truck61' date='21 February 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1266798957' post='365418']

Suprised that no one posted this or I just missed it. CFD signed a contract with Crimson for 30 ladder trucks. That's all I know and it was posted on crimsons website along with an order for 51 pumpers.

[/quote]

Truck 61 , where exactly on Crimson's website does it mention the Contract for Engines and Ladder Trucks? I just got on the site and couldn't find it mentioned at all. The only thing that is mentioned in regards to Chicago is a order "in progress" for 3 additonal Engines which I am familiar with. I had looked up their "News and Events" pages and it doesn't even have any "New's" from this year as of yet so far it only had "News" from 2009.

Go into the illinois dealers and they have a news section and thats where it's at.

Chicago Fire Signs Contract!!!Category: Crimson Updates / Tags: no tag / Add Comment On February 3rd, EMC-Fire in Illinois received notice that Chicago Fire has signed a contract for 30 aerials over 3 years with Crimson Fire. This contract comes on the heels of a 51 pumper order also awarded to Crimson. Congratulations to Salesman John Lynch!

Hopefully they hold up better then the pierces are. 1 failure and a bunch of fly sections needed replacement because they just didn't hold up.

Chicago Fire Department - firepost - 02-22-2010

[quote name='truck61' date='21 February 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1266807555' post='365535']

Chicago Fire Signs Contract!!!Category: Crimson Updates / Tags: no tag / Add Comment On February 3rd, EMC-Fire in Illinois received notice that Chicago Fire has signed a contract for 30 aerials over 3 years with Crimson Fire. This contract comes on the heels of a 51 pumper order also awarded to Crimson. Congratulations to Salesman John Lynch!

Hopefully they hold up better then the pierces are. 1 failure and a bunch of fly sections needed replacement because they just didn't hold up.

[/quote]

Thanks for the post Truck 61. The Crimson Ladders should have a stronger "Tip Load" capacity then the Pierces as the Tip Load capacity on the Pierces was only 250 pounds (with the exception of Aerial Tower One which is a "Heavy Duty" Aerial Ladder) and the Crimson Ladders all have a 500 pound "Tip Load" capacity while flowing 1,000 gpm's of water.

Chicago Fire Department - Ladder 68 - 02-22-2010

But much like Pierce I bet the Crimson 500lb tip load while flowing 1000GPM is above 40-45 degrees elevation...

Chicago Fire Department - karl4700 - 02-22-2010

Please correct me if im wrong guys, but I don't ever recall seeing a CFD firefighter on the tip while flowing water. If I recall right, they still use the ropes to control the fly pipe. CFD uses their "truck" for climbing and rescues. Tower Ladders are more so used for the elevated master streams, not the trucks (not saying they dont use them like that, but towers asre used first in that manner).

Chicago Fire Department - Reliance - 02-22-2010

[quote name='drfeelgood' date='21 February 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1266802616' post='365460']

Why did they the award from E\-One??

[/quote]

What was wrong with the E\-One bid?? I thought they had the lowest best bid.