Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Chicago Fire Department - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Chicago Fire Department (/showthread.php?tid=2101)

Chicago Fire Department - drfeelgood - 02-22-2010

[quote name='Reliance' date='22 February 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1266886906' post='365728']

What was wrong with the E\-One bid?? I thought they had the lowest best bid.

[/quote]

What I meant to say is why did they pull the E\-One bid?

Chicago Fire Department - drfeelgood - 02-22-2010

[quote name='firepost' date='22 February 2010 - 01:35 AM' timestamp='1266819306' post='365614']

Thanks for the post Truck 61. The Crimson Ladders should have a stronger "Tip Load" capacity then the Pierces as the Tip Load capacity on the Pierces was only 250 pounds (with the exception of Aerial Tower One which is a "Heavy Duty" Aerial Ladder) and the Crimson Ladders all have a 500 pound "Tip Load" capacity while flowing 1,000 gpm's of water.

[/quote]

Ok not that I am saying Pierce is better than anyone else but you cant take a "Medium Duty" ladder and compare it to a "Heavy Duty" ladder and call it a fair fight. All of the ladders that Chicago purchased from Pierce were "Meduim Duty"(except the Towers) just like the E\-One (below 40 degress or flowing water) and Seagrave ladder proir to the Pierces. Crimson only offers a "Heavy Duty" ladder. Info from thier websites are below

100' Medium Duty Pierce

http://www.piercemfg.com/Specification.html?ModelId=4a08f587-0fca-4e38-93ef-726f5ba3de8b

105' Heavy Duty Pierce

http://www.piercemfg.com/Specification.html?ModelId=ec533701-c911-4039-a066-b0aba538323c

Crimson

http://www.crimson-fire.com/content.aspx?id=1324

Chicago Fire Department - firepost - 02-23-2010

[quote name='drfeelgood' date='22 February 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1266894032' post='365752']

Ok not that I am saying Pierce is better than anyone else but you cant take a "Medium Duty" ladder and compare it to a "Heavy Duty" ladder and call it a fair fight. All of the ladders that Chicago purchased from Pierce were "Meduim Duty"(except the Towers) just like the E\-One (below 40 degress or flowing water) and Seagrave ladder proir to the Pierces. Crimson only offers a "Heavy Duty" ladder. Info from thier websites are below

100' Medium Duty Pierce

http://www.piercemfg.com/Specification.html?ModelId=4a08f587-0fca-4e38-93ef-726f5ba3de8b

105' Heavy Duty Pierce

http://www.piercemfg.com/Specification.html?ModelId=ec533701-c911-4039-a066-b0aba538323c

Crimson

http://www.crimson-fire.com/content.aspx?id=1324

[/quote]

Yes that is a good point Dr Feel Good and I really don't know if Pierce had bid on the fourth round as this was the fourth set of bids on the Truck's as when they "almost" awarded the contract to E/One last spring it had been the third round of bids.

I do know that on the third round of bids (about a year ago) E/One,Pierce, Crimson and Ferrara had all submitted bids and supposedly Pierce was reported to be the 2nd lowest bidder after E/One.I myself wonder if "Heavy Duty Aerial" had been written into the specs by the City of Chicago or if the type of Aerial Ladder that they wanted was unspecified and Crimson was just lucky enough to win the latest bid. Anyway if Chicago could get Heavy Duty Aerials for the price of Medium Duty Aerials, why not.

This is only speculation on my part, but I really wonder (just like many of you) what was going on that made the City reject the "best offer" on three rounds of bids? I wonder if it was because the Department of Fleet Management now handles the heavy apparatus and they didn't know what they were doing or whether if it was for other reasons that they had to keep repeating "request's for bids" over the last almost 2 years?

Chicago Fire Department - theunknowncomic - 02-23-2010

does KME ever put in any bids?

Chicago Fire Department - MFD76 - 02-23-2010

[quote name='firepost' date='23 February 2010 - 03:20 AM' timestamp='1266915645' post='365841']

Yes that is a good point Dr Feel Good and I really don't know if Pierce had bid on the fourth round as this was the fourth set of bids on the Truck's as when they "almost" awarded the contract to E/One last spring it had been the third round of bids.

I do know that on the third round of bids (about a year ago) E/One,Pierce, Crimson and Ferrara had all submitted bids and supposedly Pierce was reported to be the 2nd lowest bidder after E/One.I myself wonder if "Heavy Duty Aerial" had been written into the specs by the City of Chicago or if the type of Aerial Ladder that they wanted was unspecified and Crimson was just lucky enough to win the latest bid. Anyway if Chicago could get Heavy Duty Aerials for the price of Medium Duty Aerials, why not.

This is only speculation on my part, but I really wonder (just like many of you) what was going on that made the City reject the "best offer" on three rounds of bids? I wonder if it was because the Department of Fleet Management now handles the heavy apparatus and they didn't know what they were doing or whether if it was for other reasons that they had to keep repeating "request's for bids" over the last almost 2 years?

[/quote]

Picked this one up from Mike Wilbur. The Med duty have a 250 tip load but with a 3-1 safety factor it makes it a 750 tip load. This is why FDNY still specs the Med duty ladder. Also they have Tower Ladders to flow water, although in some situations the Ladders can be fly piped with hose and a clamp on nozzle. Most Med duty ladders have only one set of jacks vs. the much heavier counterpart has four jacks. Four jacks can be quite a problem on congested city streets. The other problem is Heavy Duty Ladders weigh more and make for a heavier rig with equipment this might reduce the gvw. Most departments spec Heavy Duty without really evaluating their situation and needs. In most situations not necessarily this one it seems today's fire service trinkets and gadgets will win over practical use. Anyway just some insight and thoughts. Keep up the good work I enjoy this thread.

Stay Safe,

Rick

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 02-23-2010

"In most situations not necessarily this one it seems today's fire service trinkets and gadgets will win over practical use."

True words indeed, if you put your thinking caps on you can think of a couple of pretty good sized departments that fit that statement.

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 03-01-2010

[quote name='FFPM571' date='17 February 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1266419029' post='364631']

And to confuse things even more. The CFD ambulances still have civilan medics that arent firefighters that are members of the CFD and in the IAFF, The supression companies have sworn paramedics that are firefighters that dont ride the ambulance

[/quote]

All CFD medics are sworn members and they have some engine and truck companies that are ALS with a medic.

[quote name='tonymedic22' date='01 March 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1267467579' post='367199']

All CFD medics are sworn members and they have some engine and truck companies that are ALS with a medic.

[/quote]

I second that. If you are on an engine or truck as a medic, you are a Firefighter/Paramedic and have been through the Firefighter academy. If you are strictly on the ambulance as a medic you are known as a Fire Paramedic and have gone through the EMS academy only. You are still a sworn member though, living in a firehouse as a member of the dept. not a civilian. The tricky part is that Firefighter/Paramedics can still ride the ambulance on a detail or overtime. All Firefighters hired after sometime between say 1996-1999 are EMTs as well. Their official title is Firefighter/EMT and they are trained by the city as part of the Firefighter academy. The city operates 60 ALS ambulances staffed with Fire Paramedics almost all the time. They also operate 14 BLS ambulances on a daily rotating basis staffed with Firefighter/EMTs that are pulled off of their engine or truck for a shift from all over the city. Corrections welcomed.

[quote name='jdixon17' date='01 March 2010 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1267469597' post='367201']

I second that. If you are on an engine or truck as a medic, you are a Firefighter/Paramedic and have been through the Firefighter academy. If you are strictly on the ambulance as a medic you are known as a Fire Paramedic and have gone through the EMS academy only. You are still a sworn member though, living in a firehouse as a member of the dept. not a civilian. The tricky part is that Firefighter/Paramedics can still ride the ambulance on a detail or overtime. All Firefighters hired after sometime between say 1996-1999 are EMTs as well. Their official title is Firefighter/EMT and they are trained by the city as part of the Firefighter academy. The city operates 60 ALS ambulances staffed with Fire Paramedics almost all the time. They also operate 14 BLS ambulances on a daily rotating basis staffed with Firefighter/EMTs that are pulled off of their engine or truck for a shift from all over the city. Corrections welcomed.

[/quote]

Just to make sure I read this correctly:

At any given time there are 60 ALS and 14 BLS rigs staffed?

Chicago Fire Department - firepost - 03-02-2010

[quote name='jdixon17' date='01 March 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1267469597' post='367201']

[/quote]

Here is your correction as far as Ambulances go. There are 15 and not 14 BLS ambulances. As far as EMTs who are pulled off of their Engines and or Trucks ,you have to remember that Engines and Trucks are normally staffed with 5 people per shift and that they normally keep 5 men on each Engine and Truck so that the fire companies that have BLS ambulances stationed with them would have to have more men then normal who are assigned to those companies in order for them to run with 5 men.There are some companies that are allowed to run with 4 men during the day which is known as a variance however that usually is when there is some training going on at the Academy.

[quote name='foxfire' date='01 March 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1267487406' post='367287']

Just to make sure I read this correctly:

At any given time there are 60 ALS and 14 BLS rigs staffed?

[/quote]

No there are 15 staffed BLS and 60 staffed ALS ambulances. Three of the ALS ambulances are located at Rescue Stations 1,2 and 3 at O'Hare International Airport.

Chicago Fire Department - usonian55077 - 03-02-2010

Here's a CFD question I haven't seen asked:

Why doesn't Chicago have any TDA's? I've done plenty of driving in Chicago, and I know there are miles upon miles of narrow streets and tight corners where a Tiller could be a real advantage.

[quote name='usonian' date='02 March 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1267578234' post='367556']

Here's a CFD question I haven't seen asked:

Why doesn't Chicago have any TDA's? I've done plenty of driving in Chicago, and I know there are miles upon miles of narrow streets and tight corners where a Tiller could be a real advantage.

[/quote]

That's a very good question Usonian and while I don't know the actual reason why Chicago doesn't have any Tillered Aerials ,I can give you a few possible reasons as to why the Chicago Fire Department doesn't have any TDA's.

Cost would probably be one of them as TDA's are more expensive then rearmounts from what I understand. Another possible reason is that Chicago would have to certify and train a pool of qualified Tiller (rear trailer) driver's and that it would put a dent in the standardization of are Ladder companies. Whether the Management of the CFD has recently considered buying any TDA's would be a good guess on my part. That said, I personally think that Chicago could also make use of a Tillered Aerial Ladder Trucks in a few congested areas. There are several major Fire Departments that do make use of TDA's to some extent and there are some Fire Departments that have gone back to purchasing or at least trying out some TDA's after not using them for a number of years.

Anaheim California recently put a few in service and Dallas Texas had recently increased it's fleet of TDA's from 2 to 6 companies.

Chicago ,in my opinion, could use about half a dozen of them in a few areas, particularly in several of our Lakefront districts where there is alot of congestion and narrow streets which would also include the North Loop (downtown) area.

There is also at least one or two Truck companies on the West Side that have fire stations with Truck companies that are located on narrow side streets that could make good use of a TDA. Particularly our Truck 32 which is located several blocks from a main artery and our Truck 29 may also be able to make use of a TDA.

While it may be a good idea for Chicago to put a few of them in service in those congested area's considering that the City does have budget and financial problems (like so many other cities) and that Chicago recently signed a contract for thirty conventional rear mounted Aerial Ladders after submitting "Requests for Bids" on four separate rounds over a nearly two year period before finally deciding to sign a contract, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 03-03-2010

Don't forget they would have to pay drivers pay to the tillermen also.

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 03-03-2010

[quote name='jdixon17' date='01 March 2010 - 02:13 PM' timestamp='1267469597' post='367201']

[/quote]

Lets not forget the cross overs who get to go through both academies.

Chicago Fire Department - TacSupport1 - 03-03-2010

Quote:Chicago Fire Department Signs Aerial Contract!!!

On February 3rd, EMC-Fire in Illinois received notice that Chicago Fire has signed a contract for 30 aerials over 3 years with Crimson Fire. This contract comes on the heels of a 51 pumper order also awarded to Crimson. Congratulations to Salesman John Lynch!

http://evehiclenews.com/?p=213

Chicago Fire Department - Guest - 03-12-2010

Ohare rehab unit..didn't even know this existed....

BC 6 newer buggy

Taxi 26

Eng 10