Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Fairfax County VA - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fairfax County VA (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 11-07-2010

Anyone local know what is up with the roof on Station 410. Just drove by it and it is an embarassment. If you are going to repair the building, repair the building. If you are going to tear the thing down, do it. Don't just leave it there with a tarp over the apparatus bay. I know there is a budget crunch but my goodness, you can't find money to repair an emergency. I think they could have held off on a few things to fix the damn station.

Fairfax County VA - Roto-Ray - 11-07-2010

Appears that they're going to get a new station: [url="http://annandaleva.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-fire-station-planned-for-baileys.html"]Annadale, VA area information.[/url]

I'm sure some of the FCFR members on here have better information.

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 11-07-2010

[quote name='Roto-Ray' date='07 November 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1289167219' post='410568']

Appears that they're going to get a new station: [url="http://annandaleva.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-fire-station-planned-for-baileys.html"]Annadale, VA area information.[/url]

I'm sure some of the FCFR members on here have better information.

[/quote]

Kind of sort of the latest as I understand it.

FS10 will be rebuilt on its existing site. The current, roofless FS10 is owned by the Bailey's Crossroads VFD. Fairfax County wants to rebuild FS10 on that site, but; and there is always a but; to rebuild around one of the county's busiest fire stations would be almost impossible to accomplish. So, a temporary station will be erected at the corner of Moncure Avenue and Columbia Pike (tents and trailers) while the new FS10 is built with county funds, hence, becoming a county station rather than a volunteer-owned station. The volunteer corporation may continue to exist or cede all of its assets to Mother Fairfax; I believe that part is still in negotiation. Time frame now is about three years to complete all phases (build temporary facility, relocate units and personnel, build permanent facility). To the best of my knowledge, Fairfax County does not have rights to an "off the shelf" firehouse based on previously designed and built county fire stations (no "hey, let's build another 37 there and call it FS10", no can do). Also, county mandates specify that a new fire station must meet local "green" building standards (i.e. 40 and 41) so that is going to drive the design and architecture of the fire station. Meanwhile, T410 continues to sleep at FS28 at night for security reasons. There is talk of a separate tent at the FS10 site for T410 but that has yet to materialize.

Fun stuff.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 11-08-2010

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' date='07 November 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1289185446' post='410632']

Kind of sort of the latest as I understand it.

FS10 will be rebuilt on its existing site. The current, roofless FS10 is owned by the Bailey's Crossroads VFD. Fairfax County wants to rebuild FS10 on that site, but; and there is always a but; to rebuild around one of the county's busiest fire stations would be almost impossible to accomplish. So, a temporary station will be erected at the corner of Moncure Avenue and Columbia Pike (tents and trailers) while the new FS10 is built with county funds, hence, becoming a county station rather than a volunteer-owned station. The volunteer corporation may continue to exist or cede all of its assets to Mother Fairfax; I believe that part is still in negotiation. Time frame now is about three years to complete all phases (build temporary facility, relocate units and personnel, build permanent facility). To the best of my knowledge, Fairfax County does not have rights to an "off the shelf" firehouse based on previously designed and built county fire stations (no "hey, let's build another 37 there and call it FS10", no can do). Also, county mandates specify that a new fire station must meet local "green" building standards (i.e. 40 and 41) so that is going to drive the design and architecture of the fire station. Meanwhile, T410 continues to sleep at FS28 at night for security reasons. There is talk of a separate tent at the FS10 site for T410 but that has yet to materialize.

Fun stuff.

[/quote]

Thanks for the update SrFire. If this had happened in my city we would have already started rebuilding the station by now and we are only 10,000 people.

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 11-08-2010

[quote name='Dave McClung' date='07 November 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1289189576' post='410665']

Thanks for the update SrFire. If this had happened in my city we would have already started rebuilding the station by now and we are only 10,000 people.

[/quote]

Hopefully this will accelerate maintaining a contingency process should one of our stations become inoperable for an extended period of time; we are pretty good at reacting (second time) but should be more proactive. We had this exercise nearly 16 years ago when FS14 (Burke) burned down in the middle of the night and somebody should have anticipated that something of a similar nature could recur, especially in older volunteer stations (not slamming) that may not have the financial resources to bounce back immediately from such a disaster.

Fairfax County VA - Fire28 - 11-08-2010

After leaving the Dunn Loring Toy Show Yesterday. This was sitting on the front ramp of FS413. Thanks to BC402C for posing it for me.

BC402 2008 Ford F350

[Image: DSC_6448.jpg]

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 11-08-2010

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' date='08 November 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1289241431' post='410789']

Hopefully this will accelerate maintaining a contingency process should one of our stations become inoperable for an extended period of time; we are pretty good at reacting (second time) but should be more proactive. We had this exercise nearly 16 years ago when FS14 (Burke) burned down in the middle of the night and somebody should have anticipated that something of a similar nature could recur, especially in older volunteer stations (not slamming) that may not have the financial resources to bounce back immediately from such a disaster.

[/quote]

I to would have thought they would have had plans given what happenes to 14's. I guess bigger is not always better and more prepared.

Fairfax County VA - Roto-Ray - 11-08-2010

One thing that can't be ignored is the fact that 10's house is volunteer owned and being replaced with a county-owned facility. There's going to be a certain amount of politics involved in that...not using the word politics as a negative word, rather, a factual word. While it would probably be nice for all metro-sized departments to have a prototype building ready to go (we do at work and at the volunteer county too), it's often times not an option when you start dealing with LEED-certified buildings. Furthermore, if demolition, new site acqusition, and other variables all go into a project like this, causing delays. I feel for the brothers not having a home, but having dealt with fire station construction, I can't say I'm surprised by the time-line either.

Fairfax County VA - FfxCo21V - 11-09-2010

if there can be a good note on the design and the fact that the new FS 10 will be county owned, the Bailey Volunteers don't have a BINGO hall to replace, that would also add to the dilemma of a new station.

Dave, to make a reply about, if this happened in my city...you're not in the Great State of Fairfax County, I'm not saying that to brag

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 11-10-2010

[quote name='FfxCo21V' date='09 November 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1289343834' post='410949']

if there can be a good note on the design and the fact that the new FS 10 will be county owned, the Bailey Volunteers don't have a BINGO hall to replace, that would also add to the dilemma of a new station.

Dave, to make a reply about, if this happened in my city...you're not in the Great State of Fairfax County, I'm not saying that to brag

[/quote]

Bruce, they just always seemed to have their acts together a little more than most. I am just really surprised. It is too important a station to let anything but what is in the best interest of the public to be paramount.

Fairfax County VA - FfxCo21V - 11-10-2010

[quote name='Dave McClung' date='10 November 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1289364580' post='411008']

Bruce, they just always seemed to have their acts together a little more than most. I am just really surprised. It is too important a station to let anything but what is in the best interest of the public to be paramount.

[/quote]

Dave, as mentioned in an earlier posting. There is not a cookiecutter building design for a fire station. FfxCo now has to have "green stations", the location of FS10 is only 1/2 of what the county requires for a building like FS 15,35,36. There was a rumor of a two story building because of the land size. Ownership, insurance, location of a temporary station & design are all factors that is slowing this down, it appears like nothing is being done.

Bruce

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 11-10-2010

[quote name='FfxCo21V' date='10 November 2010 - 05:03 AM' timestamp='1289385814' post='411015']

Dave, as mentioned in an earlier posting. There is not a cookiecutter building design for a fire station. FfxCo now has to have "green stations", the location of FS10 is only 1/2 of what the county requires for a building like FS 15,35,36. There was a rumor of a two story building because of the land size. Ownership, insurance, location of a temporary station & design are all factors that is slowing this down, it appears like nothing is being done.

Bruce

[/quote]

I understand all of that Bruce. There just seems to be no urgency, which is unbelievable to me. I am an elected official, I understand the red tape and politics. I sit on the board of directors for our fire department. All of what I know aside, I also know there are ways to cute through red tape and wave buidling requirements when it is in the public interest or a true emergency. This situation seems to be screaming for a bull to break into the china shop and up end a few pieces of china and get things happening faster. If I was the supervisor for that district I would be screaming and having press conferences until I was blue in the face.....

Oh, and while I love the fairfax stations, not everyone has to be a taj mahal. You guys do over build just a weeeeee bit when it comes to stations. For that matter not every rig has to be on the same chassis or have the same wheelbase. Damn I am going to start sounding like splinterhead in a second.....

A county the size of fairfax with both urban and rural segments should be able to have two pumper specs, one would think.

Fairfax County VA - SrFireOfficial - 11-10-2010

[quote name='Dave McClung' date='10 November 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1289415340' post='411035']

I understand all of that Bruce. There just seems to be no urgency, which is unbelievable to me. I am an elected official, I understand the red tape and politics. I sit on the board of directors for our fire department. All of what I know aside, I also know there are ways to cute through red tape and wave buidling requirements when it is in the public interest or a true emergency. This situation seems to be screaming for a bull to break into the china shop and up end a few pieces of china and get things happening faster. If I was the supervisor for that district I would be screaming and having press conferences until I was blue in the face.....

Oh, and while I love the fairfax stations, not everyone has to be a taj mahal. You guys do over build just a weeeeee bit when it comes to stations. For that matter not every rig has to be on the same chassis or have the same wheelbase. Damn I am going to start sounding like splinterhead in a second.....

A county the size of fairfax with both urban and rural segments should be able to have two pumper specs, one would think.

[/quote]

Two pumper specs? We actually went down that road recently by adding CAFS to the new Pierce wagons for 12, 16, 20 and 41. Not a major change but that is a variance geared towards separating from the oh, fourth battalion to say, the seventh battalion. In all seriousness the reason for one main spec is for resource deployment. Sure, they won't all have 750 gallon water tank or CAFS but getting more water out in downtown Great Falls or Clifton is essential if those companies are already operating at an event and all the rural water supply resources are tied up at such an event. And ultimately, it's cheaper for Fairfax County (and others) to stick with one spec and assign the resources as necessary. Those Pierce CAFS Dash pumpers were the first time the spec was specifically designated for those companies where they were assigned.

As for firehouses, sure it would be great for breaking the rules and making waivers but if it's done once, then Pandora's box is open. We're tough, we'll suck up a few nights in the tent, I've done it before and I am sure I can do it again if I have to.

l

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 11-11-2010

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' date='10 November 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1289440861' post='411091']

Two pumper specs? We actually went down that road recently by adding CAFS to the new Pierce wagons for 12, 16, 20 and 41. Not a major change but that is a variance geared towards separating from the oh, fourth battalion to say, the seventh battalion. In all seriousness the reason for one main spec is for resource deployment. Sure, they won't all have 750 gallon water tank or CAFS but getting more water out in downtown Great Falls or Clifton is essential if those companies are already operating at an event and all the rural water supply resources are tied up at such an event. And ultimately, it's cheaper for Fairfax County (and others) to stick with one spec and assign the resources as necessary. Those Pierce CAFS Dash pumpers were the first time the spec was specifically designated for those companies where they were assigned.

As for firehouses, sure it would be great for breaking the rules and making waivers but if it's done once, then Pandora's box is open. We're tough, we'll suck up a few nights in the tent, I've done it before and I am sure I can do it again if I have to.

l

[/quote]

I was looking at the agendas and minutes for the County Board and planning commission. Apparently they make variances and wavers all the time from their regular standards, just not for the fire department and public safety.

That FFX Firefighters are tough and have done it before and will probably do it again I am sure of that. It is just sad that they have to be tough in that way.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 12-24-2010

Does anyone have any news on where the two new pumpers and the new Tower ladder that FFX Co has on order will be stationed?

Fairfax County VA - Fire28 - 12-24-2010

Tower should be for 436 Dave. The two engines are anybodys guess.

Fairfax County VA - davemcclung - 12-24-2010

[quote name='Tim' date='24 December 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1293240310' post='416488']

Tower should be for 436 Dave. The two engines are anybodys guess.

[/quote]

I thought the same Tim though I wonder if they may go in a different direction and start replacing the midmount towers as several have heard they want to do. Will be interesting to see.

I have to take a look at the roster this week while I am off and make a prediction or two on the pumper assignments.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 12-24-2010

The tower should be going to 24 (Woodlawn). A lot busier than 36 (Frying Pan).

Fairfax County VA - Fire28 - 12-24-2010

Pat when I was last at 24 I was told 36 would get the new Tower and the current TW436 would go to 424.... I agree 24 is busier but the driver seemed adamant with that theory.

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 12-24-2010

I guess we will find out when it is delivered. My prediction for engines, would be Engine 411 and 418, but it is anybodies guess with those as well.