Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Boston Fire Department - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Boston Fire Department (/showthread.php?tid=2106)

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 03-04-2011

Crazy to see so many twins to our trucks!

Boston Fire Department - edburke - 03-04-2011

[quote name='poindexter6' timestamp='1299213764' post='427901']

I've been searching and all I can find are snippets about the Boston Fire Brigade / Engine 54.

Can anybody give me the run down about them (Staffing, equipment, run cards, etc.)?

[/quote]

You refer to it as "them". the Fire brigade is not it's own entity. it is a piece of apparatus stationed on Long Island in Boston Harbor to protect several city owned buildings and other interests located on the island. Engine 54 was the designation originally given to the Engine Company that was housed in the station located on the island. In better financial times, Ladder 31 also occupied this house. With Proposition 2-1/2 in the early 80's, both companies were shut down. As some time passed, it was realized that there was a need for protection out there, and an engine company with reduced manpower was organized. Since it doesn't meet the contractual definition of an engine company because of the staffing, it was designated as the Fire Brigade. It is a Boston Fire Department piece of apparatus, staffed by Boston Firefighters (usually a senior man and two other firefighters), and is dedicated to the Island (which is part of the City of Boston), running first due to all points of the island. It does not leave the island for any reason other than training, and is usually covered by Engine 20 when training occurs.

[quote name='edburke' timestamp='1299223648' post='427912']

You refer to it as "them". the Fire brigade is not it's own entity. it is a piece of apparatus stationed on Long Island in Boston Harbor to protect several city owned buildings and other interests located on the island. Engine 54 was the designation originally given to the Engine Company that was housed in the station located on the island. In better financial times, Ladder 31 also occupied this house. With Proposition 2-1/2 in the early 80's, both companies were shut down. As some time passed, it was realized that there was a need for protection out there, and an engine company with reduced manpower was organized. Since it doesn't meet the contractual definition of an engine company because of the staffing, it was designated as the Fire Brigade. It is a Boston Fire Department piece of apparatus, staffed by Boston Firefighters (usually a senior man and two other firefighters), and is dedicated to the Island (which is part of the City of Boston), running first due to all points of the island. It does not leave the island for any reason other than training, and is usually covered by Engine 20 when training occurs.

[/quote]Ed - Thanks for the info.

I read somewhere about weight restrictions on the bridge to Long Island and that Ladder trucks couldn't cross. Is this still true? How would they get truck companies for fires, if so?

Boston Fire Department - edburke - 03-04-2011

[quote name='poindexter6' timestamp='1299247031' post='427932']

Ed - Thanks for the info.

I read somewhere about weight restrictions on the bridge to Long Island and that Ladder trucks couldn't cross. Is this still true? How would they get truck companies for fires, if so?

[/quote]

The bridge is a nightmare. I went over it a few times last July while training new recruits....the road surface is like permanent frost heaves, and the road itself is crumbling in many places. The current SOP is for Ladder 6 to respond to Engine 20's quarters and utilize the Long Island Van (CAD ID LIV20) to go to the firehouse on the island, where they will staff a mid-mount Maxim that was purchased from the Town of Whitman, and placed on the island to address the weight issue on the bridge. If they have a fire out there, there will only be one aerial operating. I don't know if they have a plan to shuttle the other ladder company crews with LIV20 for manpower, but I know I wouldn't want to attempt bringing a ladder over that bridge....hell, I'm scared going over it in an ambulance.

[quote name='edburke' timestamp='1299251307' post='427939']

The bridge is a nightmare. I went over it a few times last July while training new recruits....the road surface is like permanent frost heaves, and the road itself is crumbling in many places. The current SOP is for Ladder 6 to respond to Engine 20's quarters and utilize the Long Island Van (CAD ID LIV20) to go to the firehouse on the island, where they will staff a mid-mount Maxim that was purchased from the Town of Whitman, and placed on the island to address the weight issue on the bridge. If they have a fire out there, there will only be one aerial operating. I don't know if they have a plan to shuttle the other ladder company crews with LIV20 for manpower, but I know I wouldn't want to attempt bringing a ladder over that bridge....hell, I'm scared going over it in an ambulance.

[/quote]

Are most of the calls on Long Island EMS related to the shelter and has there ever been a large fire on the island where they have needed additional resources to cross the bridge from Boston or Quincy?

[quote name='edburke' timestamp='1299251307' post='427939']

hell, I'm scared going over it in an ambulance.

[/quote]

Absolutely Ed. I transported a patient out there about 8 or 9 years ago in a rig, after midnight of course, and it was a spooky ride.

Boston Fire Department - recoveringspark - 03-06-2011

[quote name='yelrowekim' timestamp='1299078423' post='427617']

Brian is the 1945 ward still down the shops?

[/quote]

At 48/28 sorry for the poor quality.

Boston Fire Department - Guest - 03-19-2011