Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 07-11-2008

And just in case the drawer is out.....hopefully you will see the stripings so you don't bump your head.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Upper Craig Creek has some other apparatus in addition to the two ALF's.

Engine 51 was the first fire engine purchased new by the department. It is a 2002 International 4400/E-One 1250/750 with s/n 125356.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Tanker duties at Upper Craig Creek is an older tanker from Roanoke, Virginia. It is still painted in the old Roanoke colors of lime green.

Tanker 52

1976 GMC 7500/Atlas

350/1500

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And then I finally lost the sun and the weather started getting bad. Just prior to it raining, I managed to get a few more photos from Upper Craig Creek.

Brush 54

1980 Dodge W30 Power Wagon/Reading/A. Fassnacat & Son

350/350

this truck is owned by the Virginia Forestry Dept. and is on permanent loan to Upper Craig Creek. The FD has had it a number of years.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

A recent addition to Upper Craig Creek might be familiar to Maryland fire apparatus fans. This truck is sitting outside and is a 1976 International/Saulsbury. The Upper Craig Creek VFD is still finalizing plans on how this truck will be utilized.

It originally saw service in Burtonsville, Maryland in Montgomery County.

It was then sold to Boonsboro, Virginia in 1995. Boonsboro donated the squad to Upper Craig Creek in 2007.

Over the years, Boonsboro has donated a variety of their old fire trucks to Upper Craig Creek. Upper Craig Creek also has a 1969 Ford C/Oren 750/1250 that is for sale.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And finally from Upper Craig Creek is their station.

We left the station and it poured. In fact, after John drove me back to Salem for me to continue my drive to Bristol, Virginia, I encountered severe storms along I81 with hail and many cars sitting along the side of the road to wait it out. Overall, our timing was pretty good at Upper Craig Creek and this was one great FD visit.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I arrived in Bristol, Virginia later that afternoon. Prior to checking into the hotel, I decided to find Bristol's main fire station to see what they had behind the doors.

These guys were fantastic. They were very nice and had no hesitations moving the apparatus around for photos.

Bristol is well know on the NASCAR circuit for its raceway. The state lines of Virginia and Tennessee run down "State Street" - on one side you are in Virginia and the other Tennessee. Bristol, Virginia has three stations, and Bristol, Tennessee has four. Hopefully one day I will be able to visit the Tennessee stations. At one point, the FD's in both Bristol's were numbered in a way that even number unit designations were Virginia and odd were Tennessee. I don't believe that is the plan any longer, although some apparatus are still numbered with old unit numbers.

First up at Station 1 is Quint 1, a 1999 Pierce Dash 75' 2000/500. Job number EC185. I was told that this Quint was ordered off of the large Richmond Quint order.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Truck 1 is the department's HAZMAT unit, a unique 2004 GMC C5500 with a long 1989 Wells Cargo trailer.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Quint 1 and Truck 1 are the main apparatus at Station 1. There are, however, several older trucks stored at the station.

The department's reserve ladder truck is this 1979 ALF 100' with s/n CE-6782. It was previously Ladder 1 and Ladder 6.

I am not exactly sure what the plans are for this ALF - the department recently placed into service a new ladder truck which replaced the ALF. Whether the ALF will be sold or kept as a reserve remains to be seen.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I posted this engine before but I will post it again so you see the entire Bristol line up.

This engine is to be sold and is currently being housed at Station 1.

Old Reserve 8

ex- Engine 12

1984 Hahn/FMC Roughneck

1500/750

Hahn s/n HCC8842484

FMC s/n 9051

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And last, but not least, at Station 1 is the FD's antique - a 1926 American LaFrance. 1000gpm with s/n 5689. I had the unique opportunity to catch a ride on this truck during my visit - this trip was turning out to be a lot of fun.

There are a variety of trailers also stored at Station 1.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Last shot from Station 1 is the station....

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

After a morning meeting the following day, and prior to making my way back to Northern Virginia, I dropped by the other two Bristol, Virginia fire stations as well as the Rescue Squad station.

Station 2 has received a brand new Engine 2....

Engine 2

2008 Sutphen

2000/750/20/30

s/n HS-4285

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Also at Station 2 is the Sutphen that the Sutphen replaced - Reserve Engine 2 (and also still marked Engine 16).

Reserve Engine 2

1987 Sutphen

1500/750

s/n HS-2111

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Station also houses a trailer and in the rear is a old 1974 Ford C900/ALF 1250 gpm (s/n 2-1-3966) that is not running but is still on the FD's roster.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

While Station 2 has its own quarters, just to the side of it is the Bristol Life Saving Crew. They run several squad trucks.

Unit 46 is this neat 1986 Mack MC611FC that was built by Southern. I looked all over this truck for a Mack s/n and found no plate.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

The Life Saving Crew also operates this smaller crash truck, also built by Southern.

Unit 45

1994 GMC 3500/Southern

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And the Rescue Squad station...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

And the last stop in Bristol, VA was Station 3, which you can see from I81 Northbound.

The crew at Station 3 cross staffs and engine and a tower.

Engine 3 is a 1992 Pierce Lance 1500/750 with job number E6749. Although it runs as Engine 3, it is marked as Engine 18.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Tower 3 was tough to get photos with traffic, shadows from power lines, etc.

This is a brand new truck for the FD and unfortunately it was struck by a drunk driver - the rear bucket was hit. Although damaged, it is still operable.

Tower 3

2008 Sutphen

100'

2000/500/20/30

s/n HS- 2486

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA