Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Fairfax County VA - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fairfax County VA (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 02-02-2011

Navy-Vale became Fair Oaks I believe.

Fairfax County VA - davebowen - 02-02-2011

[quote name='Shoop' timestamp='1296698648' post='423517']

[/quote]

YOU ARE CORRECT

Fairfax County VA - Guest - 02-03-2011

Navy Vale moved from Vale Road to RT50 when they built the Fair Oaks Combination Fire Station and Police District Station in the 80s. Fire Station 31 was close to 21 before the move and left a big open area that was rapidly growing near RT66 and RT50 along RT50........

dave

Yes the squad your speaking of was a 1979Chevrolet/Pierce Squad (looked like a GMC) and was sold in 1987. In 1987 Fair Oaks got a Pierce Arrow Squad that was rehabbed in 1995. The last squad I have info on that they purchased was 6 man cab Marion built on a Spartan Gladiator LFD chassis that was recieved in July 2003.

dave

Fairfax County VA - FfxCo21V - 02-03-2011

Navy Vale VFD changed it's name to Fair Oaks in 1983 with the start of construction of our new building on Rt 50. It is a combo Fire & Police station. Move in date was Jan 1985. We are going through a major renovation to both sides, since we have out grown the building.

Unknown photographer on this picture, here is the '79 Chevy/Pierce Squad. It had a 250GPM with 150 gallons of water. Sold 1987 to the Round Lake,NY Fire Dept. They painted it red & white.

Fairfax County VA - YeOldeEnjine - 02-03-2011

[quote name='photo5' timestamp='1296708491' post='423560']

"In 1987 Fair Oaks got a Pierce Arrow Squad that was rehabbed in 1995."

dave

[/quote]

Fair Oaks, VA new Pierce Squad was under construction at the same time as the twin Lance Pumpers for McCoole, MD.

Squad 21 under construction during our inspection trip.

I apologize for the quality and cropping, but these where taken in 1987 with a disposable camera......

another...

another during construction...

Fair Oaks, VA - Pump Area.

yet another....

Back at Appleton for Final Inspection and Delivery of our Pumpers, we found Fair Oak's rig painted and just about ready for it's own final....

another....

another!

That's all...... Hope nobody minded my hi-jacking the thread for a moment.

No problem, unlike our Marion, the Pierce spent more time at the station than the shop.

I remember my first call on the Pierce Squad. Two us,(he is a member here) were riding in the back, at the scene, the career guys forgot we were there and didn't tell us to get out... maybe it wasn't a mistake?

[quote name='photo5' timestamp='1296708168' post='423557']

Navy Vale moved from Vale Road to RT50 when they built the Fair Oaks Combination Fire Station and Police District Station in the 80s. Fire Station 31 was close to 21 before the move and left a big open area that was rapidly growing near RT66 and RT50 along RT50........

dave

[/quote]

Fairfax had wanted to relocate Navy-Vale to either the developing area of South Reston or the US-50 corridor. The county offered the S. Reston (Foxmill) station the vollies with the provision for a County supplied engine to replace the 1970 ALF, that offer was rejected by the membership. The second offer to move is the current station that is just west of the West Ox intersection between what was a 7-11 and the Exxon station. The old station at 12504 Bennett Rd., is still being used by the County to store athletic equipment. The orginal station was barley inadequate to house the County crew of five. Fairfax did not single units on dispatch untiil later. The old station only A/C(1981)in the very small bunkroom until we breached a hole in the adjoinig dayroom wall and installed a window unit that vented into the washroom. The eating area was behind the wagon on the apparatus floor with a large bug zapper over the table. The restoom facilities consisted of one shower and three "pots" on septic system from 1957 which had difficulry "accepting" the increased staffing for the squad which brought the min. staffing to eight. The squad was placed into service after the County replaced Sqd-15 with a sorely needed truck company. The first due truck priro to trk-15 was Trk-3 with second due handled by Trk-25 and Trk-18 or Trk-13. The squad did not have any roof vents and would only fit into the wash bay of the Bennett Rd. station due to the door height limatations. The Chantilly Police Station (on Penrose Ave.) was an old rambler style house a beat up single wide with similiar restroom facilities.

Fairfax County VA - Roto-Ray - 02-03-2011

I love hear these historical references from the guys that were there!

[quote name='Shoop' timestamp='1296698648' post='423517']

[/quote]

The name change was pretty hot topic before choosing Fair Oaks. Some of the other choices were Pender, Ox Hill, and retaining the Navy-Vale name.

Fairfax County VA - mnsand - 02-03-2011

[quote name='FfxCo21V' timestamp='1296729874' post='423569']

Navy Vale VFD changed it's name to Fair Oaks in 1983 with the start of construction of our new building on Rt 50. It is a combo Fire & Police station. Move in date was Jan 1985. We are going through a major renovation to both sides, since we have out grown the building.

Unknown photographer on this picture, here is the '79 Chevy/Pierce Squad. It had a 250GPM with 150 gallons of water. Sold 1987 to the Round Lake,NY Fire Dept. They painted it red & white.

[/quote]

It is interesting where photographs end up. That one is mine, and was one of the first photographs of a fire truck that I took shortly after getting my drivers license, purchasing my first 35mm camera, and finding the locations of Fairfax County fire stations. Memories....

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike, I thought it was yours. I used your book as reference for the history of the squad. Paul, the historian of Fairfax County Fire & Rescue, remembers it all. He knew the station tones so well, he had two steps on us when they would dispatch a box assignment in the first or second battalion. Thanks to both of yinz. BTW, I have first dibs posting pics of our new Pierce.

Bruce