Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Truckman - 08-14-2008

[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='238159' date='Aug 13 2008, 21:00 ']And so it is! Have you had your Q2B, Roto-Ray, 888, and/or Powercall

fix lately? If not, this'll do it:

[url="http://www.cafaa.net/media/colonial2007.html"]http://www.cafaa.net/media/colonial2007.html[/url]

Here's the 2006 version, as well:

[url="http://www.cafaa.net/media/colonialmovie.html"]http://www.cafaa.net/media/colonialmovie.html[/url]

I attended the 2005 parade, and my ears haven't been

the same since!

Enjoy,

Steve[/quote]

Thanks Steve for posting this.

I can attest that it is loud there. We took a rig there in 1999 and drove them crazy too, with the real Q and the Vector Q going at the same time. Each year its the same - LOUD!!!!

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 08-14-2008

[quote name='PFDEng1' post='238248' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:52 ']Mike,

You were close!

The chassis is from the Middleborough, MD (Balto.County E233) 1976 Ford C8000/Oren, The cab is from Annapolis, MD E361 1987 Spartan/FMC.

Annapolis wrecked it during 1989 and was sent to Mason Dixon for repairs. They replaced the Spartan cab with a new 1989 Spartan cab.

Middleborough sent thier Ford/Oren to Mason Dixon for rehab in 1990 and the repaired ex Annapolis 1987 Spartan cab was placed on the Ford chassis.

1995 Middleborough sold the pumper to Fountaindale, PA (Adams County E3-1). It was rehabbed during 1996 again by Mason-Dixon. Until now I

didn't know where it wound up. I know Fountaindale placed it up for sale sometime in 2005.

Hope this helps some.

Jeff[/quote]

Thank you Jeff!! Solves that mystery.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 09-24-2008

It's been a while since any contributions were made to this thread, so I thought that I might help bring a little life into it.

Recently delivered to Albemarle County, VA are these two tankers. Albemarle is a wealthy rural/suburban/urban county that surrounds the City of Charlottesville. While still mostly protected by volunteers, the county is adding a fair amount of career staff to supplement the ranks.

One thing that's unusual about the county is that each station (including the county-owned, and county-staffed apparartus) has it's own paint scheme.

First is this solid-white 2008 Mack Granite/Pierce that's assigned to the rural Scottsville station, where it will run with a massive Pierce Dash rescue pumper that was delivered about 3 years ago.

[Image: 379278488_LsHPE-L.jpg]

Hollymead is Albemarle's newest station, opening less than a year ago. Located on Route 29 in the area of the airport, it's a career station that has made provisions for live-in volunteers also. This sharp tanker matches a Pierce Dash engine delivered to them about 6 months ago.

[Image: 379278579_sQ5su-L.jpg]

Next up are a handful of rigs from the Zion Crossroads VFD in Louisa County. Louisa is a rural county, and at one time, Zion Crossroads was one of the most "out of the way places" in the county. However, in the past couple of years, this small intersection of I-64, State Route 15, and State Route 250 has become home to a new Lowes, three golf courses, Wal-Mart distribution facility, 2 hotels, and some truck stops, with much more in the plans.

In order to meet these new demands, the Zion Crossroads members have placed two new apparatus in service.

First is this Smeal Sirius rescue pumper, designated Engine 7-1. It replaces an International 4-door pumper that was sold to a broker. This well-equipped rig will be first-out for MVA's.

[Image: 375839963_N29bv-L.jpg]

Citing the need for big water, ZCVFD also contracted with Pierce to build this Contender DX tanker on a Kenworth chassis. This is the first tanker that the department has run, and is reportedly the first of several tankers that the county is going to purchase.

This is the first Contender DX-series tanker in the area.

(For the note-takers, the short SN appears to be the new Contender number. It still has a 9-digit WO like the other Contenders, but also this little short number now too).

[Image: 375840051_KzBNo-L.jpg]

Finally for this installment is the department's Snorkel. Originally operated by the Fredericksburg, VA FD, the rig was purchased by Singer Associates when FFD took delivery of a new Pierce tower ladder. Soon thereafter, Farmville, VA ordered a Pierce Quantum rear-mount aerial to replace their Hahn tower which had been dead-lined. Desperately needing a loaner aerial, Singer "gave" Farmville this Snorkel until their Quantum was delivered a couple of years ago. The rig then made it's way north on Route 15 about 40 miles to it's current home in Zion Crossroads. Confusing enough?

Hope everyone enjoyed....

[Image: 379552390_kgH3Y-L.jpg]

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - York FF/Chauffeur - 09-25-2008

Anyone here in the Roanoke area? I'm living in the area going to college and I drove by one of the singer shops the other day only to find DC Engine 12, and several other trucks sitting out front, of course I didn't have my camera with me! Might be worth checking out if anyones in the area.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Truckman - 09-25-2008

[quote name='York FF/Chauffeur' post='249483' date='Sep 25 2008, 14:53 ']Anyone here in the Roanoke area? I'm living in the area going to college and I drove by one of the singer shops the other day only to find DC Engine 12, and several other trucks sitting out front, of course I didn't have my camera with me! Might be worth checking out if anyones in the area.[/quote]

Singer has two shops in Roanoke. One is the body shop for his operation and the other is a general shop.

Roanoke Paint and Refurbishment Center

2701 Mary Linda Avenue, NE

Roanoke

Service Center

818 Connecticut Ave

Roanoke

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - York FF/Chauffeur - 09-25-2008

Thanks for the info, it was the paint and refurb center I was by the other day, seems to be a pretty good amount going on at the shop these days. There was a Hampton, VA engine as well as a chesterfield scope with no bucket sitting out front the other day... I think its time to get a new camera. I'll try to keep an eye out for anything good at both shops.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 09-25-2008

The Chesterfield 'Scope was rear-ended on I-95 last month. Hampton had an engine involved in a roll-over a while back, but I'm fairly sure that it was totaled.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-25-2008

Does anyone know any info about the new apparatus Chesapeake has on order? Thanks in advance

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - York FF/Chauffeur - 09-26-2008

This scope had no major issues besides the the bucket, it looked like it was in good shape besides the fact that the bucket had been taken off... The hampton engine was missing some compartment doors when i drove by but no cab damage. I'll take a spin by tomorrow and see if what I can find out...

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Truckman - 09-26-2008

[quote name='York FF/Chauffeur' post='249651' date='Sep 26 2008, 01:42 ']This scope had no major issues besides the the bucket, it looked like it was in good shape besides the fact that the bucket had been taken off... The hampton engine was missing some compartment doors when i drove by but no cab damage. I'll take a spin by tomorrow and see if what I can find out...[/quote]

Probably the bucket got the worst of it. They do most if not all the body repairs at this shop. Stop in and tell them who you are and they will let you get some photos.

By the way, on Seibel not far from Singers paint shop is the former OREN plant. It was also the Grumman operations and now KME uses it or did to build the aerials. Last time I was in that area there were several old pieces sitting in a junk type yard near there. Check it out.

Chesterfield VA

I caught this old Mack-Baker, 95 footer reserve Truck, being used by Truck 7

on Wednesday, 9-24-08 Can't remember the year of mfg

She still looks good, for something that has a short life left in the department

Truckman Photo

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=38368]

Chesterfield VA

I caught this old Mack-Baker, 95 footer reserve Truck, being used by Truck 7

on Wednesday, 9-24-08 Can't remember the year of mfg

She still looks good, for something that has a short life left in the department

Truckman Photos

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 09-26-2008

John,

That's actually a 75' model built on a tandem axle chassis for increased braking power. It's a 1987 model that was originally delivered to 3-Truck, and now runs from FS9 as the reserve truck.

As for old 9-Truck at Singer, mostly the bucket was damaged in the collision. There is minor body damage, but you wouldn't notice it unless you knew where to look.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-29-2008

It has been a while since I posted so here are some new rigs from the Tidewater area. A couple of these may have been posted before but this thread is TOOOOOOOOO long to look through to see whats been posted already. Enjoy.