Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - VFN102 - 07-21-2007

[quote name='firemag' post='131471' date='Jul 20 2007, 22:51 ']Mike,

I'm sure there were two, and I believe there were four of these in Henrico. They were nicknamed the "Frog" because they were thought to be ugly. Here is the only one in my collection during better days.

Jerry[/quote]

Jerry, Mike: I drove one of the "Frogs" while a volunteer at Eng Co 5. They had a backwards shift 5 speed transmission - in other words, first gear was over to the right where 5th gear would normally be. The one Jerry posted was a bit longer than the others, it had a 1000 gal tank if I recall and was used as a tanker in it's latter years.

-Paul

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 07-21-2007

Mike,

Here is the Atkins truck when I shot it just after being purchased from the Ruby VFD. It sure looks better now! By the way, best thread ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - firemag - 07-21-2007

Sorry, looking at my post is the first time I ever notice the "G" in RuGby.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 07-22-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='131500' date='Jul 20 2007, 23:13 ']Two tankers operate from the main station, and I am going to need some help from our Pennsylvania members.

505 is a 1975 Chevrolet/1974 Techweld that carries 1600 gallons of water and has a small portable pump.

On the inside of the cab is a FMC sticker that was ripped and torn, and there was no serial number. It appears that this Chevrolet was once a FMC pumper. At some point, a 1974 Techweld tanker body (obviously from another truck) was added to the Chevrolet. It was later sold to Castlewood.

Now the really big clue for the Pennsylvania members - the Castlewood members think that the Pennsylvania department that they purchased this tanker from was pronounced something like "Nippennose". No, I am not joking. One member even said he had a hat at home from the Pennsylvania station that had the name on it and he could drive home to get it, but it may take awhile to find it. No kidding - now is that hospitality!! I appreciated the thought but did not have the time as I wanted to get to Norton before dark.

Any ideas on "Nippennose"? Please try and keep wise cracks to a minimum.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va[/quote]

Yep, I do believe Nipponose Valley is what you are looking for. It is in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. I do believe the FD in that area is Kamal. Don't hold me to that, but I will do some research over the next day or two.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Pete Muller - 07-22-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='131728' date='Jul 21 2007, 16:18 ']Here is one of the highlights from my SW Virginia trip.

Ladder 1 at Pennington Gap is this 1979 Ward LaFrance 100' with serial number 80.1641.

The information provided to me that this was once a US Navy ladder assigned in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Can anyone provide additional information?

My understanding is that Holly Grove, Virginia also had a similar WLF ladder truck that they rehabed, which I have a photo of in my collection. I have the serial number on that truck as 80.1639.

This one was a "close call" in terms of getting photos. The gentleman tried quite some time to get this started and I was beginning to think that I would leave Pennington Gap without photos of the ladder because this is tucked away at the rear portion of the station. However, he came through, although there was quite a bit of exhaust in the station once this WLF started up. You can still somewhat see the exhaust coming out in the photo. It was not going away.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike, The U.S. Navy purchased 4 of these Ward LaFrance Rearmounts in 1979. One was assigned to the Naval Shipyard in Norfolk. A photo of the Norfolk unit appears on page 145 in the book "Navy and Marine Corps Fire Apparatus 1836-2000 Photo Gallery" by William Killen. It can be easily identified by the different grill between the headlights.

Pete Muller[/quote]

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - kieferfire - 07-22-2007

Very nice and interesting photo-story.

Juergen

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - photone - 07-22-2007

Mike, Awesome pics and stories...sounds like you had a near-perfect trip.! That's a beautiful area to be running around in too!

Colonial Heights ran this 1970 Maxim along with a nearly identical sister rig (That one a '68) until the early 90s...trust me when i say they were the best sounding rigs anywhere in the greater Richmond area! They were also the last two open cab rigs in service in the area, and were much loved by both the firefighters and citizens of 'The Heights'

Jerry Fisher now owns the rig, and it can be seen most Saturday evenings at the weekly classic car cruise-in at the HArdees located on West Hundred Road at Old Stage Road in Chesterfield County

The '68 Maxim's owned by Tommy Herman, who also owns Colonial Heights '48 Maxim and '56 open cab Maxim TDA.

A shot of the interior of the cab...

And another...I never knew the cutch actually extended into the door opening, definitely a looooong throw!.

The old girl still runs and pumps like a champ, and sounds as good as ever!

Jerry also owns the only Mack that Colonial Heights ever ran...an ex Chesterfield rig that ran as Colonial Heights Engine 1 until it was replaced by the American LaFrance that's now quartered at Station 1.

The rig's a '75; 1000/500

The classic CF front end.

When Colonial Heights bought the rig, it originally Engine 2, placed in service when Colonial Heights Station 2 opened, then was moved to Station 1. When the rig was renumbered somehow the '1' never made it to the number board above the windshield.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 07-22-2007

[quote name='Roto-Ray' post='131520' date='Jul 20 2007, 22:35 ']Mike, thanks a ton for those Southwest photos. As you're well aware, Jerry and I hit Atkins during our trip a while back. Atkins were some of the best photos we got, and it was one of the many stations where I was employed to drive the apparatus from the station to the photo location. The ex Rugby rig was still white, and the Sutphen wasn't even thought of, so I think I speak for both Jerry and I when I say, "thanks!"

I am glad that you got better cooperation at Pulaski than I have on both of my visits. A handful of as-is photos is all I have been able to come away with. As you pointed out, they really have a lot of rigs to shoot, and some of them can be a pain to get pulled out and positioned.

Looking forward to some more of your fine work as always! I have to go check my "Air Pak" now. :-)[/quote]

I had no cooperation at Pulaski either, on my visit a few years ago. There were about 20 volunteers standing around and not one would give me the time of day, more or less pose a rig. Pulaski is about one of my only truly forgettable visits while photographing fire apparatus

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - foghog333 - 07-22-2007

Mike: The WLF/Maxim rear mount ladder was one of four RM's delivered to the US Navy in May, 1979. Serial number 80-1639 went to the Norfolk Navy Yard. 80-1640 was originally delivered to the Submarie Base in Groton, Connecticut, 80-1641 went to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and 80-1642 went to the US Naval Base in Pearl Harbor. In later years the Groton RM was reassigned to the former Philadelphia Navy Yard and now is used by a small department in Salem County, New Jersey.

Hope that this helps you out.

Tom Shand

Hamburg, New York

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 07-22-2007

[quote name='foghog333' post='132062' date='Jul 22 2007, 13:27 ']Mike: The WLF/Maxim rear mount ladder was one of four RM's delivered to the US Navy in May, 1979. Serial number 80-1639 went to the Norfolk Navy Yard. 80-1640 was originally delivered to the Submarie Base in Groton, Connecticut, 80-1641 went to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and 80-1642 went to the US Naval Base in Pearl Harbor. In later years the Groton RM was reassigned to the former Philadelphia Navy Yard and now is used by a small department in Salem County, New Jersey.

Hope that this helps you out.

Tom Shand

Hamburg, New York[/quote]

Pete and Tom,

Really appreciate the help on the WLF ladder trucks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Andrew2340 - 07-25-2007

[quote name='mnsand' post='131725' date='Jul 21 2007, 17:11 ']Replacing the 1968 Mack squad is "Rescue 1", a 1992 International 4900/R.D. Murray. It carries serial number 8332-92.

Would anyone know where this truck served prior to Pennington Gap?

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Per the FireTec website, this truck was delivered to Pennington Gap in 2003 from Hamburg, NY

[url="http://www.firetec.com/sold?s=631"]http://www.firetec.com/sold?s=631[/url] (bottom row, middle truck)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 07-25-2007

I was in southern Va. recently, went to Danville for a few days. I managed to see 1 EMS vehicle and 1 Danville rig, a ladder, E One quint, looked like a 75 ft model. Any pics of Danville?

Also went through Hillsville, Martiansville, (took a wrong turn! did pass Station 2 though.) and passed the Horse Pasture VFD and 2 others I cant remember. One was close to Danville and all on 58.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 07-25-2007

[quote name='Andrew2340' post='133064' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:10 ']Per the FireTec website, this truck was delivered to Pennington Gap in 2003 from Hamburg, NY

[url="http://www.firetec.com/sold?s=631"]http://www.firetec.com/sold?s=631[/url] (bottom row, middle truck)[/quote]

Andrew,

Thanks for the information. I also just learned today that it came from Hamburg, NY - The Scranton VFD.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 08-03-2007

I will continue posting photos that I took during some recent trips throughout Virginia.

Clifton Forge is located off of I64 in Alleghany County not far from the Virginia/West Virginia line when heading towards Charleston, WV. I was able to visit after a late afternoon work meeting and the guys at Clifton Forge were very accomodating.

First up is Engine 22, a 1966 Ford C850/Oren 750/500. It carries serial number 2237 and the department primarily uses this as a brush truck. I love finding these older Oren's because I am not sure how much longer they will be around.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 08-03-2007

The guys were not real fond of this truck and implied that the county had pretty much provided this to Clifton Forge.

Engine 24 is a 2000 Freightliner 60/Ferrara 1250/1000 with serial number H-1745.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA