Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous (/showthread.php?tid=1954)

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-29-2008

While not In Tidewater, it close enough.

John,

Excellent shots!! I'll be traveling down through VA next week when I head to SC. Whats the chance of stopping and getting as nice a pictures as these? Also, Do you know what Chesterfield, Henrico, and Richmond stations are close to I95.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 09-29-2008

Shoop...

Singer is a tough place to get shots. John, Jerry, and are almost considered "staff" down there, and even we have to make arrangements to get photos most of the time. John and I actually position the rigs, saving their overloaded staff time.

As far as getting the rigs you want, as you travel south, you can try the following stations off I-95 (other folks are welcome to chime in with other suggestions!). All of these stations are less than 5 minutes from the interstate.

Exit 156: Prince William Companies 20, 10, 13 (all for Dale City VFD) - you know what they have...

Exit 150: Prince William Company 3 (Dumfries-Triange VFD) and Quantico MCB - DTVFD's $1.1M command post

Exit 143: Stafford Company 9 (Aquia Harbor) - hard place for photos

Exit 140: Stafford Company 2 (Stafford VFD) - yellow rigs, 2 engines, ladder, room for photos

Exit 118: Spostylvania Company 8 (Thornburg) - 2 nice E\-One pumpers

Exit 110: Caroline Company 2 (Ladysmith VFD) - yellow rigs, ex Bethany Beach, DE Sky-Arm, room for photos

Exit 98: Hanover Company 4 (Doswell VFD) - nothing really outstanding here, engine & tanker, room for photos

Exit 92: Hanover Company 1 (Ashland VFD) - engine, tower ladder

Exit 86: Hanover Company 10 (Chickahominy) - engine, new Crimson heavy rescue, room for photos

Exit 86: Henrico Station 21 (Virginia Center Commons) - engine, heavy rescue, massive tractor trailer command post - room for photos

Exit 84: Henrico Station 5 (Lakeside) - engine

Exit 82: Henrico Station 1 (Azalea) - Quantum HDRP getting ready to be replaced with a PUC, tower ladder, HTR tractor trailer

Exit 82: Richmond Station 16 - RM quint, FRV

Exit 76: Richmond Station 5 - MM tower ladder, engine - TOUGH spot for photos

Exit 73: Richmond Station 13 - RM tower ladder, heavy rescue, hazmat command post

Exit 69: Chesterfield Station 3 (Bensley) - engine, Mack CF/Saulsbury heavy rescue, tower ladder

Exit 64: Chesterfield Station 17 (Centralia) - Engine - room for photos

Exit 63: Chesterfield Station 14 (Dutch Gap) & Singer's Richmond Shop - engine, tower ladder, Quantum rescue, HTR tractor trailer - room for photos

For specific directions, locations, good photo spots, or what have you, feel free to PM me.

I'm sure the other Virginians will add other thoughts.

Taylor,

Thanks for all the information. Now I just have to get the weather to cooperate. I'm definetely going to stop at Chesterfield Station 3. I am a mack fan, and have always wanted to get one of those Mack/Saulsbury Rescues that they have.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 09-29-2008

As for the CF/Saulsburys, they're down to one now, the other was involved in Chesterfield's only LODD, and was immediately taken out of service and send to a junkyard in another state.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - paganores10cue - 09-30-2008

Prince William - OWL 2, 12 are just off 95 or US1

Stafford Company 10 is on US1 between Dumfries 3 and Stafford 2 (all on US1)

Spotsy Company 6 is off 95 about 2.5 miles up Rt3 at Salem Church Rd.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Guest - 09-30-2008

Any chance that any of you guys will be around on Sunday when I come through the area? I can't spend a whole lot of time, but a couple hours won't hurt.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Roto-Ray - 09-30-2008

I'm in a buffing mood Sunday...I'm off. Got your PM, too, mail back to you...

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - Truckman - 09-30-2008

[quote name='Roto-Ray' post='250516' date='Sep 29 2008, 20:38 ']Shoop...

Singer is a tough place to get shots. John, Jerry, and are almost considered "staff" down there, and even we have to make arrangements to get photos most of the time. John and I actually position the rigs, saving their overloaded staff time.

As far as getting the rigs you want, as you travel south, you can try the following stations off I-95 (other folks are welcome to chime in with other suggestions!). All of these stations are less than 5 minutes from the interstate.

Exit 156: Prince William Companies 20, 10, 13 (all for Dale City VFD) - you know what they have...

Exit 150: Prince William Company 3 (Dumfries-Triange VFD) and Quantico MCB - DTVFD's $1.1M command post

Exit 143: Stafford Company 9 (Aquia Harbor) - hard place for photos

Exit 140: Stafford Company 2 (Stafford VFD) - yellow rigs, 2 engines, ladder, room for photos

Exit 118: Spostylvania Company 8 (Thornburg) - 2 nice E\-One pumpers

Exit 110: Caroline Company 2 (Ladysmith VFD) - yellow rigs, ex Bethany Beach, DE Sky-Arm, room for photos

Exit 98: Hanover Company 4 (Doswell VFD) - nothing really outstanding here, engine & tanker, room for photos

Exit 92: Hanover Company 1 (Ashland VFD) - engine, tower ladder

Exit 86: Hanover Company 10 (Chickahominy) - engine, new Crimson heavy rescue, room for photos

Exit 86: Henrico Station 21 (Virginia Center Commons) - engine, heavy rescue, massive tractor trailer command post - room for photos

Exit 84: Henrico Station 5 (Lakeside) - engine

Exit 82: Henrico Station 1 (Azalea) - Quantum HDRP getting ready to be replaced with a PUC, tower ladder, HTR tractor trailer

Exit 82: Richmond Station 16 - RM quint, FRV [color="#FF0000"]3901 Chamberlayne AV[/color]

Exit 78 Richmond Station 10 - RM Quint, Seagrave Pumper, Heavy Rescue[color="#FF0000"] 914 Hermitage RD[/color]

Exit 76: Richmond Station 5 - MM tower ladder, engine - TOUGH spot for photos [color="#FF0000"]324 W Leigh ST[/color]

Exit 73: Richmond Station 13 - RM tower ladder, heavy rescue, hazmat command post [color="#FF0000"]411 Commerce RD[/color]

Exit 69: Chesterfield Station 3 (Bensley) - engine, Mack CF/Saulsbury heavy rescue, tower ladder

Exit 64: Chesterfield Station 17 (Centralia) - Engine - room for photos

Exit 63: Chesterfield Station 14 (Dutch Gap) & Singer's Richmond Shop - engine, tower ladder, Quantum rescue, HTR tractor trailer - room for photos

For specific directions, locations, good photo spots, or what have you, feel free to PM me.

I'm sure the other Virginians will add other thoughts.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]Chesterfield 17 Engine house is off I-95 - exit 62, (RT-288) Go to the second exit, (State RT 145 Chester Rd) house is on the right

Chesterfield 14 Engine house is off I-95 - exit 61, RT-10 west), Go to and pass US RTE 1 & 301 about 1/4 mile house on on the left[/color]

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - yvfdco8 - 10-01-2008

Dumfries Rescue is on Graham Park Rd. off RT.1 near the fire house.

Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous - mnsand - 10-01-2008

I will add a couple from the last several weeks.

Campbell County, Virginia purchased a new ladder truck for their county and is housing it at the Lyn-Dan Heights VFD which is located just outside of Lynchburg close to the Lynchburg airport.

Truck 15 is a 2007 Spartan/2008 Smeal Sirius 100' 2000/300/20 with s/n 802030. This was a Smeal demo, and some of you might recognize it because it has been shown by Smeal at numerous shows throughout the country.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Here is one item I like about the Campbell County Truck 15 - it has all of the county's fire department decals on the side of the truck. Although housed at Lyn-Dan Heights, other members from stations across the county have been trained in truck company operations and on this specific truck so they can staff the truck if necessary.

FD Emblems:

Altavista

Brookneal

Brookville-Timberlake

Concord

Gladys

Lyn-Dan Heights

Rustburg

Evington

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

I posted these photos from Bergton, Virginia (Rockingham County) awhile back before this Virginia thread was started. I had the opportunity to visit Bergton again this week while traveling to West Virginia. This FD is pretty special to me and Ray Muth (firepics member) in that they own a old fire truck from Ashburn, Virginia.

Bergton members recently took delivery of a new mini pumper, which is why I went to Bergton. Before posting that, I will show you the other apparatus they currently run.

Engine 55 is a 1987 E\-One Cyclone 1250/750 s/n 5758 that was purchased from the Lake Jackson VFD in Prince William County, Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Bergton's Tanker 55 is this 2003 KenWorth T300/New Lexington 1000/2100 s/n T710.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Bergton is a rural area surrounded by mountains. The FD also operates a second tanker.

Tanker 58 is a 1979 GMC 7000/1991 Keplinger/1984 4-Guys body. 250/1350. Here is what I know about it thus far....

GMC was purchased from a used truck dealer

The 4-Guy's body came from Capon Bridge, West Virginia where it was joined to a 1963 Ford.

Keplinger repair shop joined the GMC and old 4-Guys body together in 1991.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Brush 57 from Bergton is this 1989 Dodge 250 Power Ram and holds 250 gallons of water. The Dodge was once a Rockingham County government pick up truck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA