Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Maryland photo's - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Maryland photo's (/showthread.php?tid=1944)

Maryland photo's - Guest - 02-06-2011

As gravenut74 points out, the older Baltimore Co. trucks had booster reels and small capacity pumps, I believe 250 gpm. These were all removed in later years. I think the first truck bought by the county without a pump was either T-13, which was an ALF Aero Chief or T-8, which was an ALF 1000 series rearmount. These were purchased in the early 70's, around 1972.

Maryland photo's - Guest - 02-14-2011

[quote name='Rescue131' timestamp='1297034332' post='424097']

As gravenut74 points out, the older Baltimore Co. trucks had booster reels and small capacity pumps, I believe 250 gpm. These were all removed in later years. I think the first truck bought by the county without a pump was either T-13, which was an ALF Aero Chief or T-8, which was an ALF 1000 series rearmount. These were purchased in the early 70's, around 1972.

[/quote]

Here is Baltimore County Truck 1 around 1967 with light smoke showing from the second floor at a row hose south of Towson near the Baltimore City line. Photo by my father.

Truck 1 crew advancing the "red snake" to the second floor without SCBA, with 3/4 boots and aluminum helmets.

There appears to be an all service air mask case open on the running board.

Photo by my father.

Maybe a few more cranks on the driver side screw-down out rigger?

WoW love those shots

Maryland photo's - b9208 - 02-14-2011

[quote name='MattC' timestamp='1297713524' post='425283']

Maybe a few more cranks on the driver side screw-down out rigger?

[/quote]

Matt, I'll probably catch it from others with more experience, but that jack on the officer's side is fine, and doing what its supposed to do.

The first picture shows that the tractor is straight with the trailer, probably due to a narrow street and parked cars. "Jack knifing" the tractor would usually provide even more stability when space allows it. The screw jacks were normally just handtight. With the aerial 90 degrees off the side, at a low elevation, and extended a little with two men on it, its the worst case for stability. That jack is floating but will sit right down once the men on the ladder either go in or move back down towards the rig. If you tighten the jack down right now when its floating, it would take a cheater pipe and a bunch of effort to get the jack down once the aerial is brought back to center line. The operator just needs to be aware that he's floating the jack and near his limits. If he kept loading the aerial, or extended it further, the rig could eventually tip, but the jack floating is just a hint to an observant operator.

Same thing happens from time to time with modern rigs when a jack gets "light", but the alarms go off and you have to hold "by-pass" switches to correct the problem. Plus hydraulics take the work out of setting and retracting the jacks. Two classic pics, by the way.

Gary

Maryland photo's - SrFireOfficial - 02-14-2011

[quote name='gfd1' timestamp='1297687566' post='425202']

Here is Baltimore County Truck 1 around 1967 with light smoke showing from the second floor at a row hose south of Towson near the Baltimore City line. Photo by my father.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting these classic black and white photos. I remember Truck 1 and some of the other units purchased in the 1960's had Fire Bureau rather than Fire Department for the lettering. Is that fire in Rogers Forge? I grew up near there.

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' timestamp='1297722199' post='425308']

Thanks for posting these classic black and white photos. I remember Truck 1 and some of the other units purchased in the 1960's had Fire Bureau rather than Fire Department for the lettering. Is that fire in Rogers Forge? I grew up near there.

[/quote]

Yes-the 100 block of Overbrook Road. E11 was in front of the truck and E101's B model was in the alley. That was the full assignment for a dwelling back then.

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-06-2011

[quote name='gfd1' timestamp='1297687846' post='425203']

Truck 1 crew advancing the "red snake" to the second floor without SCBA, with 3/4 boots and aluminum helmets.

There appears to be an all service air mask case open on the running board.

Photo by my father.

[/quote]

Awesome shots! There is always something going on in Rodgers Forge every now and then. I live just the next couple neighborhoods over in Cedarcroft (just inside the city line).

Maryland photo's - Truckman - 03-06-2011

[quote name='b9208' timestamp='1297719205' post='425301']

Matt, I'll probably catch it from others with more experience, but that jack on the officer's side is fine, and doing what its supposed to do.

The first picture shows that the tractor is straight with the trailer, probably due to a narrow street and parked cars. "Jack knifing" the tractor would usually provide even more stability when space allows it. The screw jacks were normally just handtight. With the aerial 90 degrees off the side, at a low elevation, and extended a little with two men on it, its the worst case for stability. That jack is floating but will sit right down once the men on the ladder either go in or move back down towards the rig. If you tighten the jack down right now when its floating, it would take a cheater pipe and a bunch of effort to get the jack down once the aerial is brought back to center line. The operator just needs to be aware that he's floating the jack and near his limits. If he kept loading the aerial, or extended it further, the rig could eventually tip, but the jack floating is just a hint to an observant operator.

Same thing happens from time to time with modern rigs when a jack gets "light", but the alarms go off and you have to hold "by-pass" switches to correct the problem. Plus hydraulics take the work out of setting and retracting the jacks. Two classic pics, by the way.

Gary

[/quote]

That is exactly how the ground jacks are suppose to work like seen in that photo. You never screw them babies down tight.

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-06-2011

[

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-07-2011

[quote name='haligans1' timestamp='1299467274' post='428412']

The first without a pump & tank was T-5's 1979 ALaF 100ft. TDA.

[/quote]

I might have to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that T-13 (1973 Aero Chief) didn't have a pump or water tank.

[quote name='Rescue131' timestamp='1299474386' post='428422']

I might have to disagree with you. I'm pretty sure that T-13 (1973 Aero Chief) didn't have a pump or water tank.

[/quote]

I don't remember 13 having any water either.

[quote name='WAGONMAN' timestamp='1299502986' post='428433']

I don't remember 13 having any water either.

[/quote]

That is correctthe Aero Chief and the Alf rear mount (truck 8) were both delivered without water tanks or booster reels

Maryland photo's - SrFireOfficial - 03-07-2011

[quote name='gravenut74' timestamp='1299538895' post='428496']

That is correctthe Aero Chief and the Alf rear mount (truck 8) were both delivered without water tanks or booster reels

[/quote]

But I vaguely remember a booster reel on the old Truck 17 Rear Admiral Seagrave.

Yes it did. I think Truck 17 came in first then the two ALF's. I will ask around. Waren G HEEEELP!

The first Truck 17 was the old 1949 Seagrave midship ladder that did have a pump and booster reel. The second Truck 17 was delivered after Tr-13 (Aero Chief) and Tr-8 (Rearmount). I think the second Tr-17 may have been a 1977. I don't recall if it had a pump and reel or not.

Maryland photo's - PFDEng1 - 03-07-2011

[size="3"]BALTIMORE COUNTY, MD

TRUCK 17[/size]

[size="3"]1974 Seagrave SR 100'

JVMogush slide[/size]

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-08-2011

Yay...Jeff to the rescue! Thanks Jeff. For some reason I thought Tr-17 was delivered late in the 70's.

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-08-2011

Ok here is the scoop Truck 17 was a 74 that we all allready know. It was spec by Baltimore County. Trucks 13 and 8 were purchased in as myth tells it a flood sale from Hurricane Agnes. Story goes that both rigs were purchased from ALF because it was a sweet deal. Hence why those two trucks had no pump or tank. Truck 17 made its rounds a little it went to Truck 57 then swapped rigs with 8. Truck 8's ALf went to 57 because the Seagrave climbed hills better then the ALF. After its stint at Truck 8 it became RT66. Somewhere along the line the shops did remove pump and tank.