Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Maryland photo's - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Maryland photo's (/showthread.php?tid=1944)

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-09-2011

i figured those were the days that we ran everything till wheels fell off. it is knda a shame it went out that way due to its history. btw left wayne a message. stay safe

Maryland photo's - PFDEng1 - 03-09-2011

[quote name='gfd1' timestamp='1299689753' post='428695']

The Seagrave started life running from Station 6, Dundalk, until the new Towson station complex was built in 1955. It also spent time at Middle River Station 12, but I can't remember if it ran as 12 or as 15 since it went there after that station opened. I think Chief Dietz went to the County Council each year and said that he needed to replace a 1949 ladder truck at whatever station, when in reality it was the same 1949 Seagrave he moved around as new stations opened.

[/quote]

I just spoke with retired BCoFD Ron Evans about the old '49 Seagrave truck. He said when station 1 (Towson) got the 1965 Seagrave tiller, the old truck became Truck 15. It ran out of station 12 (Middle River) numbered "15" until the new station 15 (Eastview) opened in 1966. It then went to

station 13 (Westview) in 1967 and was replaced by the 1972 ALF Aerochief. It ran as Truck 17 from 1973 to 1974 and then went to Reserve Truck 75, and finally retired in 1982.

Beat me to punch Jeff spoke with Wayne Thayer and he confirms what you are sayin. Side bar is that Truck 13 came back from LaFrance still red. It was repainted by two detailed firefighters who were detailed to shop to repaint it. It was never in service red with the aerial, but was here a bit still red.

One last thing and we can put it to bed. The aero chief was originally going to Towson Sta 1 it would not fit so hence why it ended up at 13 plus add the social security building down the street from Westview

Maryland photo's - dcfdtech - 03-09-2011

Very Nice pics G2G. Way back when I was a kid, I had a calendar from an local ALF dealer, and one of the pics was a bunch of Balt City ALF's in front of the Steadman Station, Pratt Street side. Does any of the Baltimore brothers know if anybody has it and can post it. It was one of my favorite

pics. Thanks.

Maryland photo's - SrFireOfficial - 03-09-2011

Didn't Baltimore City have two ALF articulated platforms? One was designated as the Water Tower (just the boom, no ground ladder complement and minimal truck company equipment) and the other was a full-fledged truck company apparatus? And if memory serves me, didn't one of the ALF Aero-Chiefs tip over at a working fire? Prior to the ALF snorkels I believe the city operated a Hi-Ranger articulated platform on an IH cab over chassis which was also housed at Steadman.

Also, what was the staffing on the Water Tower (AeroChief) when it was at Steadman?

Maryland photo's - dcfdtech - 03-09-2011

I know the pic I was talking about was late 60's early 70's. I think the dealers name was Lankford, He used to live in Sliver Spring. He would come into the gas station where my dad worked and had us kids the calendars.

Baltimore only had one ALF Aero Chief, delivered in 1973, originally lettered as Water Tower 2. The 1960 IH/Hi-Ranger was Water Tower 1. Both of these rigs were elevating platforms only and carried no ground ladders or other normal truck company equipment. Prior to going in service, the numbers were flip/flopped and the Aero Chief became WT-1. In April of 1976, the Aero Chief tipped over while operating at a multi alarm fire. The rig was rebuilt with a Pierce body and Snorkel boom but retained the ALF cab. When rebuilt, it carried ground ladders but remained in service as WT-1. Around the same time a new Pierce/Snorkel was also delivered and was assigned to Truck 1. Later, when Truck 2 needed a new rig, WT-1 was disbanded and the apparatus reassigned as Truck 2. It remained in service until replaced with a Sutphen tower designated as AT-102.

The Aero Chief and Hi-Ranger were never stationed together at Steadman. The Hi-Ranger was originally stationed with Truck 2 in their old quarters on Paca St. When Steadman opened and the Aero Chief went in service, the Hi-Ranger was kept over at E-5 and Tr-3 and maybe for a short time over at the Oldtowne super house. When the Aero Chief tipped over and was out of service, the Hi-Ranger was moved to Steadman. I believe the staffing for the water towers was no more than 3 personnel, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been a long time.

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-10-2011

[quote name='SrFireOfficial' timestamp='1299719064' post='428770']

Also, what was the staffing on the Water Tower (AeroChief) when it was at Steadman?

[/quote]

Two- Driver & Officer.

E-59 responded with them as a water supply & support unit.

Water Tower 1's 1960 IH/HI-Ranger/Harwick shown training at the NE corner of Eutaw & Lombard Sts. on a Sunday in the 1960's, well before the Steadman station was constructed. unknown photographer,

Maryland photo's - SrFireOfficial - 03-10-2011

Thanks everybody for the information.

[quote name='haligans1' timestamp='1299734685' post='428788']

Water Tower 1's 1960 IH/HI-Ranger/Harwick shown training at the NE corner of Eutaw & Lombard Sts. on a Sunday in the 1960's, well before the Steadman station was constructed. unknown photographer,

[/quote]

Awesome!

Bladensburg VFD

PG County, MD

Truck 9

PG County, MD

Reserve rig running as Rescue Squad 8 [Seat Pleasant]

RS8's former Freightliner eventually fell apart after many years of service

Bladensburg's truck was involved in an accident a week or 2 ago. Anybody hear whether or not it will be repaired? Damage looked pretty heavy.

Also, I was told that the HME Squad that 8 was using, now actually says Rescue Squad 8 on it. Also from this photo, looks like a new bumper.

Maryland photo's - e290l103 - 03-10-2011

big difference to now

Maryland photo's - hp1530 - 03-10-2011

[quote name='Shoop' timestamp='1299798185' post='428844']

Bladensburg's truck was involved in an accident a week or 2 ago. Anybody hear whether or not it will be repaired? Damage looked pretty heavy.

Also, I was told that the HME Squad that 8 was using, now actually says Rescue Squad 8 on it. Also from this photo, looks like a new bumper.

[/quote]

According to the Bladensburg FD website, the dept has selected 10-8 Emergency Vehicle Service to repair/rehab the ladder truck.

Maryland photo's - Guest - 03-11-2011

[quote name='Shoop' timestamp='1299798185' post='428844']

[/quote]

Shoop - It probably is marked RS8 by now. The photo I posted was taken several months ago. The freighliner was beat up but this one isn't in much better condition. Can't blame Seat Pleasant. The county simply has no money. Too bad 8 can't get a new rig. It's one of the busier Squads in the county.

Morningside VFD

PG County, MD

Rescue Squad 27

PG County Fire/EMS Department

Former Rescue Squad 22 - Current Rescue Squad 6

Taken at their former quarters in Tuxedo-Cheverly