Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Fire Scene Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 (/showthread.php?tid=1200)

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - engine216 - 08-24-2013

I didn't really know where to post this at, so I decided to try here.  Around 4:00am this morning the Mahanoy City Fire Department in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania was dispatched for a smoke investigation in the borough.  (Mahanoy City has 5 separate fire companies in the town).  The police and a fire chief arrived at the fire station of the Washington Hook and Ladder Company to find their 1993 Simon-Duplex ladder truck on fire and it quickly went to the second alarm.  The ladder truck was a total loss and the company lost all of their equipment and the station was heavily damaged.  The Washington Hook and Ladder Company placed their truck in service two years ago when they bought it used and it replaced a 1973 American LaFrance.

The kicker of the whole situation was that the Mahanoy City Fire Department was host to the 59th Annual Schuylkill County Firemen's Convention this week and the parade was today.

The Washington hook and ladder of Mahanoy City is accepting donations.

You can send the donation directly to the Washington Hook and Ladder. The Post Office will hold the mail. the address is:

35 East Mahanoy Ave

Mahanoy City PA 17948

[Image: MahanoyCity_zpscc14f4fe.jpg]

Photo by Seth Lowe

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - ACPD227 - 08-26-2013

If I remember Simon - Duplex were notorious for electrical problems and may had been the largest reason they don't build truck anymore.  

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - Roto-Ray - 08-26-2013

The heavy rescue that caught fire and burned in Fairfax County (Station 14 - Burke) originated on a Simon-Duplex chassis.

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - Truckman - 08-27-2013

Quote:The heavy rescue that caught fire and burned in Fairfax County (Station 14 - Burke) originated on a Simon-Duplex chassis.

This is it..

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - Guest - 08-28-2013

Miami-Dade just recently had a duplex rescue also burn. It was sent to Rosenbauer and remounted on a Spartan. I guess it has been a few years now though. Darn shame for the Mahanoy City crew.

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - engine216 - 09-18-2013

Crews were finally able to pull the truck out of the station today.

[Image: WashiesTruck_zps21134fb1.jpg]

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - Guest - 09-18-2013

Sad, VERY sad.

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - ACPD227 - 09-19-2013

Any update is the company still operating or have they gotten a loner rig?

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - ilfirebuff - 09-22-2013

Very Sad indeed

Mahanoy City (PA) Fire Dept Station Fire Aug 24, 2013 - engine216 - 09-24-2013

As of right now I have not heard if they got a loaner rig or not, however they are still in existence and supposed to be in operation.