Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers (/showthread.php?tid=137)

Pages: 1 2

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - fyreline - 02-16-2017

The long-lasting relationship between the Syracuse Fire Department and the Sutphen Corporation started in the early 1970s. At that time, 7 of the 8 Syracuse truck companies were equipped with mid-mount 100’ aerial ladders. The sole exception was a 1964 American LaFrance Aero-Chief 90-foot snorkel assigned to Truck 6. While this unit had proved its ability to reach places that no straight stick could, on a cold January 14th night in 1971 at a multiple-alarm warehouse fire on Syracuse’s near west side, it suffered a catastrophic failure and collapsed. There were two firefighters in the basket, and one of their life belts broke, throwing the firefighter to the street.  He died on the way to the hospital. The officer’s belt held, although he too was ejected from the basket and struck the boom , causing serious injuries. The operator on the turntable was also thrown to the street, suffering  severe injuries. Here is a shot of Truck 6 after the collapse:

[Image: Truck%206_zpsfcnie879.png]

Syracuse Fire Chief Tom Hanlon, while recognizing the tactical value of the snorkel, vowed that there would never be another articulating-boom apparatus purchased while he was the Chief. He did not like the fact that there was no alternative way down for the members aloft.  Alternative types of apparatus would have to be considered. Here is one of the typical SFD Truck Companies of the time, this one is a 1968 Seagrave 100' mid-mount assigned to Truck 1:

[Image: TRUCK%201%201968%20SEAGRAVE_zpseuyide7d.jpg]

At the time of this tragic 1971 fire, the same Fire Department Reorganization Plan that I discussed in my article on Syracuse Mini-Pumpers was reaching the point where it was time to do something about it. The plan had been around since 1961, and the need for its improvements  was increasing year by year.  As the Syracuse Fire Department began to look around for new types of fire apparatus, a man in Ohio was looking for new markets for his revolutionary aerial towers. Utilizing a box beam, and featuring aircraft-style Huck-bolted construction, he thought that they might just be what Syracuse was looking for. His name was Tom Sutphen.

A series of demonstrations was arranged in 1972 at the Syracuse Fire Department’s Training Academy.  Taking Chief Hanlon up to the top floor of the training tower, the Sutphen engineer quickly brought the bucket straight down the side by lowering and retracting it at the same time. While Chief Hanlon was impressed, his only comment was “Don’t EVER do that again!”. The two Toms struck up what would turn out to be a life-long friendship, based on mutual admiration and respect.  Chief Hanlon was able to secure funding for a series of three of the new towers, to be delivered in 1973. What would follow was a series of 22 aerial towers over the next 44 years, with two more planned for 2018. There have been many evolutionary changes since that first tower appeared, but the current towers are still very much cast in the same Sutphen mold that Syracuse firefighters have grown to know and trust for so long. Let’s take a look at them through the years.

Here is the very first Syracuse Sutphen Tower delivered, Serial # HS-833. It is an 85-foot unit with a 1000 gpm pump, 300-gallon water tank, and a 100-gallon Class B foam tank. The cost new was $129,992. This was the first of the three-truck order delivered and went to Truck 4. The others, when delivered, were assigned to Trucks 1 & 8.

[Image: Truck%204%20first%20Sutphen_zpsx0g4ehwe.jpg]

As I mentioned, there would be many, many more Sutphen towers to follow - but this is the one that started it all in Syracuse.

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - spike6969 - 02-17-2017

Thank you for another great historical article.  A sad event in the department's history.  Also, the mini-pumper story was excellent.

Kevin

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - nealcraig - 02-17-2017

This is great history. Very much enjoy all of it!!!

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - lawrencewhite111 - 02-17-2017

Thank You for posting this. Great Read .

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - patchmaster39 - 02-17-2017

I love this topic. I do like reading about fire apparatus history.

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - fyreline - 02-17-2017

The initial three-truck 1973 order was followed up with a four-truck order in 1976. These units were very similar to the previous trucks, but were now rated as 90-foot units instead of 85, and for some reason the Federal Q siren was moved from the driver's step to the cab front.  The cost was now $155,000 each, and the four 1976 units were assigned to Trucks 1,3, 5 & 8. The one pictured is Truck 8 (HS-1125):

[Image: Truck%208%20Sutphen_zpshwczlsze.jpg]

The next Syracuse order was for two additional Sutphen towers in 1982. These were again very similar to the previous units, although the cost had increased to $268,808 each. These units carried 253 feet of ground ladders. The two 1982 units were assigned to Trucks 1 & 8. Looks like both the Federal Q and the chrome bell have succumbed to budgetary constraints at this point. This is again Truck 8 (HS-1602):

[Image: TRUCK%208%201982%20SUTPHEN_zpsylqw5udr.jpg]

The 1982 order was then followed up by a three-truck 1987 order. These featured 1500 gpm pumps in place of the previous 1000 gpm units, and a slightly different lettering scheme with larger company numbers on the cab front and sides. Cost per unit was now up to $389,000 each, and the three new trucks were assigned to Trucks 1, 5 and 8. Once again we see here the new Truck 8 (HS-2137):

[Image: TRUCK%208%201987%20SUTPHEN_zpsf0qfsive.jpg]

Over the years, I have had fire service professionals from throughout the country ask me why Syracuse had such an attachment for Sutphen Aerial Towers. A fair question. Here's one reason . . . in mid-1995, I was the newly-promoted Captain of SFD Truck Company 3. Our apparatus at that time was a 1976 90' Sutphen (HS-1176), which was slated for replacement - in fact, the new truck was already on order. I had gone home after the night shift, and during the day a multiple-alarm fire was reported on Syracuse's near north side, one of the oldest sections of commercial buildings in the city. Truck 3 had found a great position in the parking lot behind the building, and the scrub area of the extended boom could cover just about all of the C side of the structure (or "Side 3" as we old-timers still call it. At the time, that was still correct.) The fire was under control and one of the Deputy Chiefs had asked T3 to take him up to inspect the structure. As the basket approached the center section of the rear wall, the top story suddenly peeled away from the building and most of the brick & mortar fell directly on T3's bucket. We have all heard about being "Hit like a ton of bricks" . . . well, The Deputy and Truck 3's Lieutenant actually experienced it. As the weight of the bucket suddenly increased exponentially, the boom slowly bent and the basket descended to the roof of the one-story addition on the rear of the building . . . buried under a pile of bricks. Rescue operations commenced immediately, and the two brothers were dug out and transported to the hospital - where, due to good protective gear and just enough time to duck, they both remarkably suffered fairly minor injuries. As the comapny Captain, I was notified at home and arrived on the scene as the members were leaving for the hospital. Once the fire was officially out, the issue became: What do we do with Truck 3 now? A quick call to Sutphen in Ohio put one of their engineers on a plane to Syracuse, and within a day, a plan developed. Both the Sutphen engineer and our own Division of Maintenance personnel looked the downed vehicle over long and hard, and then they fired it up, raised the now-empty bucket, retracted the boom, and bedded it. The Sutphen engineer drove it back to Ohio under its own power, and it was taken in trade on the new unit being completed to replace it.  We made do at Truck 3 with a spare tower for a few months, and then the new 1995 truck arrived.

That is one tough truck, folks. Not only did it stand up amazingly well to a horrific situation, but the response by the manufacturer justified all the faith we have had for so many years in what they build and how they back it.  Sutphen sold a lot more than a new 1995 tower that day. Here's what the scene looked like when I arrived:

[Image: T3%20Collapse%20C_zpsxp4zsxle.png]

[Image: T3%20Collapse%20B_zpsy2bwcw4w.png]

[Image: T3%20Collapse%20A_zps2hff5z6x.png]

There were some awful grinding noises as the boom was retracted - I won't pretend there weren't - and how much (if any) of that boom was eventually salvaged II don't know. I do know that the truck itself had (as far as I know) a different boom attached to it, and acted as a Sutphen Corporation "loaner" for a few years after we had traded it in. That truck didn't owe anybody a dime, and a couple of my brother firefighters owe it a good deal more than that.

And THAT's why we like Sutphens in Syracuse.

Here's the truck that replaced the one damaged above. It is a 1995 95' tower (HS-3017), with a stainless steel body and a 4-door cab, both new for Syracuse Sutphens. It also featured a 1500 gpm pump, 400-gallon water tank, and 184' of ground ladders. Cost was $495,450. The unit is lettered for one of two new companies created that year - Area TACtical Company 5. I was its first (and as it turned out, its only) Captain. The concept combined a TeleSqurt engine and a Sutphen aerial tower into one 2-piece company with six personnel - 2 officers and 4 firefighters - in an attempt to reduce manpower from the standard 4 & 4. The concept was tried at Station 5 on the west side and Station 9 on the east side. As you can probably imagine, it didn't work very well. My first question to the Cheif's Office was pretty simple - "What 2 jobs on the fireground don't you want me to do?".  This, of course, was not what they wanted to hear. Instead of an officer and three personnel on the engine and an officer and three personnel on the truck, the ATAC companies had an officer and two men on each piece. I was the only Captain, all other officers were Lieutenants. It was an unsafe and inefficient concept from the first day, and it is due solely to the dedication and hard work of the men that it functioned at all, and more importantly, that no one was injured. We were busy as hell, which was a lot of fun, but we never had the right number of personnel in the right place at the right time, which wasn't fun at all. The District Chiefs would see us approaching the scene, and want to use us as an engine and a truck - but I didn't have enough personnel to do that. The worst problem, as far as I was concerned, was accountability. When things went bad on the fire scene, and the fire ground commander asked me, "Captain, where are your men?", and my only honest answer was, "Chief, I know where HALF of them are." . . . that was not acceptable to me, nor should it be to anyone. The concept lasted exactly two years, until sanity prevailed and full staffing was restored to the two engines and trucks. The ATACs were no more. We couldn't get that lettering off of the apparatus fast enough.

[Image: TRUCK%203%201995%20SUTPHEN_zpshd2npv3r.jpg]

1997 brought a three-truck order - and a switch to tilt-cabs for easier maintenance. The polished aluminum wheels were added . . well, just because I liked 'em. The new trucks cost $536,780 each (Damn, these things were getting expensive!) and were assigned to Trucks 1, 4 and 5. This photo shows HS-3183, which was delivered to Truck 5 when new but later transferred to Truck 2 as shown in 2001 when Truck 5 received another new unit.

[Image: Truck%202%201997%20Sutphen_zpspgzemjul.png]

Two additional units were purchased in 2001, following the same basic pattern as the three 1997 units, but now resplendent in the new dark red Syracuse livery.  The cost was up a bit yet again, to $590,000 per copy. At first I was not a huge fan of the new color scheme, but I must admit that it grew on me over the years. The two 2001 units went to Trucks 8 and 5.  The one pictured is Truck 5's rig (HS-3550):

[Image: T5%202001_zpsfmpd61tq.jpg]

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - firescooby - 02-17-2017

Loving this thread!!

Tom Sutphen was an incredible man and never will be replaced.

Quote:Loving this thread!!

Tom Sutphen was an incredible man and never will be replaced.

Tom Sutphen and I first met in the late 1970's, and got to be great friends. We shared similar tastes in a lot of things (including classic cars) and had some memorable conversations over our nearly 40 year friendship. I still miss him, and the great dinners we shared so many times. But fear not, the company is still in good hands - as Tom knew it would be. Even so, we will not see his kind again.

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - BFD190 - 02-18-2017

Chief could you slip some info on the front light bar into a post. Another unique dept . Style.

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - firescooby - 02-18-2017

Quote: 

Tom Sutphen and I first met in the late 1970's, and got to be great friends. We shared similar tastes in a lot of things (including classic cars) and had some memorable conversations over our nearly 40 year friendship. I still miss him, and the great dinners we shared so many times. But fear not, the company is still in good hands - as Tom knew it would be. Even so, we will not see his kind again.
I agree. You and I met once at FDSOA in Orlando a few years ago (around 2009 or 2010 I think). I've had the pleasure of working for this great company since late 2011.

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - CCFR-45 - 02-18-2017

Great information in this thread. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - derry86 - 02-18-2017

The question about lightbars on the grilles was addressed in the Syracuse forum a while back.

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/index.php?showtopic=21296&page=7

Also, fyreline offered up a FEW other tidbits about Syracuse Fire. A few...

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - fyreline - 02-18-2017

The next Sutphen tower purchase by the City of Syracuse was a single-truck order for Truck 1 in 2007(HS-4145). Carrying 216 feet of ground ladders and now utilizing LED emergency lighting, the unit cost $742,423.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/Truck-1_zpsjmi7q6kl.png.html">[Image: Truck-1_zpsjmi7q6kl.png]</a>

Another single-unit purchase followed in 2010 with this unit for Truck 3 (HS-4797). A heavy-duty steel bumper was included, along with 228 feet of ground ladders.  This unit cost $869,000.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/T3%20PixF_zpswr6m3iho.jpg.html">[Image: T3%20PixF_zpswr6m3iho.jpg]</a>

Yet another single-unit order in 2015 provided this apparatus for Truck 8(HS-5522). It was generally similar to Truck 3 above, but bore the singular distinction of being the first Syracuse Sutphen to cost over $1,000,000. Here's a nice shot of it taken by Tom Shand:

[Image: SYRACUSE%20TRUCK%208%202015%20SUTPHEN%20...wr9zvm.jpg]

But even at those high prices, the needs of the department went on - and another tower appeared for 2016, this time assigned to Truck 5 (HS-5891). It was virtually a twin to truck 8 above. Here's an unusual Officer's side shot, again taken by Tom Shand.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/Right%20Side%202016%20T5_zps6mycgtmr.jpg.html">[Image: Right%20Side%202016%20T5_zps6mycgtmr.jpg]</a>

. . . And that brings us up to the present day. As I write this, two more Sutphen towers - numbers 23 & 24 in a long line - are currently under construction, HS-6063 and HS-6064. Delivery is expected by Summer 2017. The SFD Truck Companies they will be assigned to have yet to be determined, but Trucks 2 & 4 would be a good bet. I hope this thread has been entertaining and informative, and as always, if any further information is required, feel free to ask away.

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - ACPD227 - 02-18-2017

It seems that the ground ladders very from year to year. Is due to each company wanting something a little different? I seems hard to imagine the cost per Tower has about doubled since 1997. Has their been any 1 change that has driven the cost up that you know of or is it just the cost of everything going up. 

Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers - lawrencewhite111 - 02-18-2017

Great source of info .......Are there any more of the yellow Sutphens left in Reserve?

Quote:It seems that the ground ladders very from year to year. Is due to each company wanting something a little different? I seems hard to imagine the cost per Tower has about doubled since 1997. Has their been any 1 change that has driven the cost up that you know of or is it just the cost of everything going up. 

Typically, trucks delivered in series shared the same ladder complement. In some cases, as the Chief of Fire changed, the complement of ladders on any new truck changed.  I suppose they needed to feel that they had SOME input . . . and I was just smart enough to let them.After all, they sat in the big chair and wore the funny hat. In other cases, certain Truck Company Captains lobbied the Committee for their own preferred ladder complement.  As in most municipalities, Syracuse's neighborhoods varied in their particular buildings and residences, and if a good case could be made that didn't vary TOO greatly from what everyone else was carrying, such requests could frequently be accommodated.

As for the cost of fire apparatus in general and Sutphen towers in particular, we used to figure at least a 3% to 5% increase in price per year - and the prices over the years reflect numbers very close to that. To go from roughly $537,000 in 1997 to over a million dollars in 2017 (that's 20 years) would represent a yearly increase of less that 4%. Remember it's cumulative; the 1997 price of approximately $537,00 plus a 4% increase = $558,251. The next year added another 4% to that higher figure, and so on, and so on. In only about 18 years, with a 4% price increase per year, that 1997 truck price would already be over a million dollars - which is right about where our 2015 truck, 18 years newer than the 1997, came in at. Yes, a new aerial tower is very expensive. And yes, every year there are new bells and whistles that increase the price, as well as new governmental requirements and regulations that do the same. Also, the manufacturer's cost of materials, labor, taxes, etc. all go up. All of these factors enter into that roughly 4% price increase annually. 

Quote:Great source of info .......Are there any more of the yellow Sutphens left in Reserve?

Nope. All of the yellow rigs are gone, with the exception of a couple of old engines assigned to the Division of Training for recruit classes.