Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
Support vehicles - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Support vehicles (/showthread.php?tid=158)

Pages: 1 2 3

Support vehicles - Aaronw - 12-23-2016

I had a look around and couldn't find a current thread for this, although there are some in various other threads.

I thought I'd start this for the many support vehicles out there that let fire crews do their job better.

Pretty much anything that doesn't directly fight the fire, fuel tenders, light plants, breathing support, rehab vehicles, canteens, repair / wreckers, salvage trucks etc.

I'll start off with a fuel tender and repair truck from Ventura County Fire Department in California

VCFD Fuel Tender 1

Ventura County Fire Department Repair 5

San Francisco Fire Department

Ward Lafrance Hose Tender

Fresno Fire Department Ford box truck

Support vehicles - grubber33270 - 12-23-2016

Any idea how much it carries? And what the SOP is for when it responds?

Quote:San Francisco Fire Department

Ward Lafrance Hose Tender

I didn't write it down but as I recall I believe it carries around 5000 feet of 5" along with a bunch of portable hydrants to allow units to get water along the lay.

These were built from retired 1970s vintage engines. They are primarily intended to provide water following an earthquake, the idea being that if the underground pipes are disrupted the hose wagons can lay in from the bay and one of the fire boats can pump the hoselay. San Francisco has had issues going back to 1906 of losing water following an earthquake, so has built in several redundant and alternative water systems.

San Francisco does not regularly use 5", 3" is their primary supply line.

Other cities in the area have made similar arrangements, the city of Oakland across the bay from San Francisco built similar vehicles on Ford Cargos following the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and the city of Berkeley (next door to Oakland) bought some large volume trailer mounted pumps and a couple miles of 6" LDH.

Support vehicles - engine98 - 12-23-2016

The former Lake Mohave Ranchos Fire District of Mohave County Arizona used this Ford Apparatus Road Repair/Assistance Unit. This is a former Brush Truck.

Bullhead City Fire Department of Mohave County Arizona uses this Ford Apparatus Repair/Assistance Unit.

Montgomery County Maryland Fire Rescue used to use this 1990 Ford/Collins former Ambulance as a Communications Support Unit.

Support vehicles - ACPD227 - 12-24-2016

My departments OS 2 Operational support 2. Trench rescue / Haz-mat. I didn't get a good photo before they stripped the lettering off. It is currently for sale. 

Support vehicles - nozzleman - 12-24-2016

I saw this rig a few years ago at the Open House at Station 21. I have yet to see it since.

Clark County Fire Department

Rehab Unit

[Image: DSCN1606_zps8d5156e0-XL.jpg]

Here is another one that I saw at a large brush fire at Clark County Wetlands Park.

Rehab Unit

[Image: 100_0336-vi.jpg]

AIR 19

On scene at Cosmo Fire in 2015

[Image: CCFD%20AIR%2019-X2.jpg]

Mobile Air Unit at the Training Center

[Image: 100_0218_15945173181_o-X2.jpg]

Support vehicles - Aaronw - 12-24-2016

Alameda County Fire Department (California) uses a retired ambulance as an SCBA Support unit. It is used for repair, and testing of the departments SCBA, and compressors in the stations.

Wow that large rehab unit is a beast. I'm used to seeing ambulance based units like the other. I guess like Phoenix the heat is enough in the Las Vegas area that just getting the guys in the shade doesn't cut it.

Alameda County Fire Department utility / stake side with lift gate.

Support vehicles - ACPD227 - 12-25-2016

Saint Joseph Twp. Fire Rescue Rehab 70

Support vehicles - Fire28 - 12-25-2016

Quote:I saw this rig a few years ago at the Open House at Station 21. I have yet to see it since.

Rehab Unit

[Image: DSCN1606_zps8d5156e0-XL.jpg]
Was at 19 as of Last March

Support vehicles - nozzleman - 12-25-2016

Quote:Was at 19 as of Last March
Thanks Tim I will update my information.