Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
DCFD Photos, old or new - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: DCFD Photos, old or new (/showthread.php?tid=2041)

DCFD Photos, old or new - firemag - 07-21-2007

"Some days are diamonds. Some days are stones" is one of my favorite John Denver songs. Today was a "stone". I left Henrico at 8:00, met fellow Firepixer Mark Baker in Stafford at 9:00, and headed for Arlingon and DC to get those photos I promised last night. We decided to stop at the new Station 9 in Aquia Harbor in Stafford. While the career crew was preping for the photo, they got a call. The driver yelled out the window for us to wait as they would not be long. A half hour later, they had not returned and we headed to Arlington. STRIKE 1. In Arlington, we were looking for new and identical pumpers at Stations 101, 102, 103, and 110. First stop was FS101. No one home. STRIKE TWO. FS 102 was next. You guessed it. No one home. STRIKE 3. 1 OUT. Undaunted, we headed to FS110. No one home. STRIKE 1. OK, we knew we would find somone at FS103. Nope. STRIKE 2. We tried to backtrack. Back to Station 102. Still empty. STRIKE 3. 2 OUTS. After a brief lunch, it was back to FS101. Luck was with us. What a great crew on duty. After quite a bit of conversation, we shot E101, our first pic of the day. The guys on E101 took us to their Logistics warehouse where we shot the Mass Casualty Unit and the Thomas Ambulace bus, but we had to shoot it inside. Won't go into that one and won't count the photo. After 1 and we have two photos. A check on E101's computer showed E102, E103, and E110 still not in quarters, so we left Arlington.

Our luck would be better in DC. Right? No! First stop was FS3. No one home. We later found out they were at a drill. Next stop was E4/T6, or that's what we stumbled on to. I had shot both of these rigs at the Seagrave shop in Richmond prior to their delivery. So, we pressed on. I guess by now there are at least 2 OUTS. FS12 was next. We did get the Hazmat and Rapid Hazmat here. Their engine was in the shop, but we shot E60 #S-104. On to FS26. E26 not home. STRIKE 1. WE did get Truck 15. Not sure if it will show in the photos, but all running lights are green. Pretty cool. Well, we are up to 6 photos now for our days work. FS4 is next. Here we shoot E4 and Air 1. We're warming up. E9 (relocated to FS4) was out. FS 11 was next. I'm not sure how some of you guys get your DC photos. We saw no place or way to get photos here and kept going. STIRKE 1. At FS20, their engine was also in the shop. We did get spare S-133. We missed the truck, and I saw no place to shoot it. STRIKE 2. Our final stop was FS29. Hey, both E29 and T5 were in the house. However, there was no room for photos. The engine was behind the gut box, and the truck would have been in the street before clearing the station. STRIKE 3. THREE OUTS. Let's head home.

I must say as dismal as the photography was the firefighters we met were equally as nice. We met some great guys today, so that made up for the lack of photos. Everyone in DC was helpful and did their best to accomodate us, and like I said earlier, the only crew we found in Arlington was great.

I had a great day with my friend Mark and the ride was wonderful. I got to see the Pentagon, Arlington National Cemetary, The Air Force Monument. the Capital, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Monument, Georgetown Universtity, all the tourist, and many other landmarks. I hope to have the pics (what few there are) loaded up and on Firepics by tomorrow night. I did take some station shots to prove I was there. I hope the mods won't spank me if I put them on this thread.

Oh, and I did get to speak to Firepixer Kevin Bryne, but he was coming on duty at DC15 as we were heading home. Next time, Kevin.

Jerry

DCFD Photos, old or new - Fire28 - 07-21-2007

Im sorry to hear your Arlington Luck was so bad. Ive never such a hard time tracking them down. But I must say you got pretty lucky if they took you to their logistics warehouse. Cant wait to see the pics.

DCFD Photos, old or new - firemag - 07-22-2007

As promised, here are my photos from yesterday's DC trip. Not much, but I'd like to share. Again, my hat is off to you fellows who manage to get quality photos in DC. Tight quarters and lots of traffic sure make it difficult. Our first stop was Station 3. As reported yesterday, they were drilling and no one was home. I hope the mods don't object to a few station shots on this thread. At least you know I was there!! Station 3.

Our first success came at Station 12. Even though the first line engine was out of service, we managed a few photos. First up is Engine 60 Reserve #S-104 ex-Engine 31. Also quartered there was Engine 51 Reserve #S-127, but I was not able to photograh it. It was burried behind several units.

Hazmat 1. Info on photo.

Hazmat 1. Info on photo.

I have seen this on on the street on Firepics, but I don't think it has been posted on the ramp. Here is the Rapid Hazmat. Info on photo.

I hate inside shots, but I don't believe this one has ever been posted. So, here is the best I could get of the Hazmat Support Unit. Info on photo. It too was burried, but I'm now kicking my butt for at least asking for an outside photo.

DCFD Photos, old or new - dcfireman - 07-22-2007

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[quote name='MemphisE34a' post='130964' date='Jul 19 2007, 12:15 ']Anyone have any pics of the wrking ends of the new seagraves? I need some pics of low hose beds to present to our apparatus committee. Thanks in advance.[/quote]A picture showing the relationship between the sizes of individuals and the back step is worth a thousand words. Here is Engine 15, a regular crew (although E-25 may give you an argument), taking up after a fire on July 17, 2007. The five hosebed compartments, left to right, hold 400’ 1 ½”, 800’ 3”, 800’ 3”, 250’ 1 ½”, and 200’ 2 ½”. The pumper is a 1250 GPM/ 500-gallon tank ’05 Seagrave, 163” wheelbase. Notice the fixed tray jutting out from the bottom of the 3” hosebed – a particularly nice innovation. Even a small guy like me could stretch any line or run any ladder from this 96-inch wide apparatus easily.

Before we left, I snapped this shot of Station 12

Next stop was Station 26. The engine was out on a run unfortunately.

Truck 15. Info on photo.

Station 4 was our next stop. Engine 9 is quarted here while their station is being renovated.

Engine 4. Info on photo.

Air 1. Info on photo.

We hit another down streak after leaving Station 4. We did not even try at Station 11 and pushed on to Station 20. Someone may correct me, but I believe this is the Station where the firefighter recently died of a heart attack. Maybe from 12 Truck? You can see the black drape remains.

As our luck had gone all day, 12 Truck was not at home, and the first line engine (whatever it is. anyone want to share) was out of service. Here is Engine 66 Reserve #S-133. Info on photo.

Why not finish on a downer? Last stop was Station 29. Boy, really tight quarters here. The engine was burried behind the bus, and the truck would not fit on the ramp. Final shot is of Station 29. I'll be back!!!!

DCFD Photos, old or new - dcfireman - 07-22-2007

Jerry! Great work. Your images are always well crafted with consideration angle, light and shadows. Hurry back. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and I inadvertently planted a street shot in the middle of your thread. Sorry, brother. Mea culpa.

DCFD Photos, old or new - Fire28 - 07-22-2007

Nice shots. I never knew their was so much apparatus @ E12 it looks like Baltimores Steadman Station(Apparatus Qty wise). Can anyone share what all is assigned to station E12.

I know this much:

E12, HM1, HMSU, RAPID HM, BC1, A12, RRU12, E51, E60, AND RA664(I Think thats the unit behind the HMSU).

Also doe sanyone know where thew Reserves (50 & 60 series)are kept and could you share.

Thanks A Million and once again nice shots.