Firepics-THE place for fire photographers
DCFD Photos, old or new - Printable Version

+- Firepics-THE place for fire photographers (https://firepics.net/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos-MUST CONTAIN IMAGE IN ORIGINAL POST (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Apparatus Photos (https://firepics.net/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: DCFD Photos, old or new (/showthread.php?tid=2041)

DCFD Photos, old or new - dcfireman - 01-18-2007

S-171 thru 176

In service in February, 1987, were six 1986 Ford C8000/ Emergency One wagons powered by Caterpillar 3208Ts driving single stage Hale 1250 gpm pumps, and 500 gallon water tanks. The Department had considered Emergency One’s Chicago/ Boston configuration, but in the interest of safety (or consensus standards and litigation concerns), the DC style crew box was ordered. This made the wheelbase increase from a short 153” to 160” (same as the Hahns and 6" shorter than the E-Ones). These crew boxes had the members facing rearward, and did not have rear-facing windows (the SCBAs were mounted on the rear wall). The crew box doors were flush with the running boards, making difficult the use of rear-view mirrors. These pieces were unpopular with the members.

Engine Companies 4, 24, 28, 29, 32 and 33 got them.

S-177 thru 181

The summer of 1987 saw five more Ford C8000/ Emergency One pumpers enter service as the wagons of Engine Companies 1, 2, 9, 20, and 30. Again, Hale 1250 gpm single stage pumps, 500-gallon water tanks, and 250 hp Caterpillar 3208T power plants. These pumpers were distinguishable from the ’86 models by their narrower crew boxes.

Note changes in hosebed from earlier Fords; two beds of supply line and one 350' 1 1/2" line. The area above the right-side cabinets held either two standpipe racks (100' 1 1/2" bundles with appliances) or a preconnected 2 1/2" handline, depending on the company. The wagon pipes on these rigs had the one single continuous waterway (ala Stang), which DC began purchasing in 1980.

S-182 thru 186

Though Ford had ceased production of the C cab, manufacturers continued their use through stock. Five such Ford C8000/ Emergency Ones were taken in 1990, and were given to Engine Companies 7, 11, 21, 22, and 23. Previously, crew boxes were the tallest portion of the pumper; these were even with the cab tops.

The older Ford crewbox apparatus sported Circle-D lights mounted on poles behind the crewbox; the new generation had Night-fighter spot/ flood lights. These came into vogue with S 154 (Hahn) in 1982.

S-187 thru 190

Engines 10, 12, 18, and 27 also received new wagons in 1991. These were part of the 1990 order, through administrative errors, were repossessed before being placed into service.

This marked the end of the “D.C. Style Cab”. Four manufacturers had delivered 44 engines of this design to the Department between 1971 and 1991.

S-190, E-27's wagon - the last DC Ford crewbox apparatus. The hidden compartment on the officers side has the buit-in pick up tube for the foam eductor.

DCFD Photos, old or new - Guest - 01-18-2007

Kevin, this is just awesome!!! No way I can ever thank you enough. From a model buliding perspective, I could never ask for more. All of the angles I needed to see, and great photos of an important part of apparatus history. Thank you so much. Rich

Nice collection you got Kevin! Makes me want to dig out mine which aren't nearly as good though. Those rigs certainly saw alot of action.

DCFD Photos, old or new - hp1530 - 01-18-2007

Is DC still using those Ford/E-One pumpers? Heard that E-20 still is using theirs due to it being able to fit inside the firehouse.

[quote name='JFong' post='68894' date='Jan 18 2007, 21:58 ']Is DC still using those Ford/E-One pumpers? Heard that E-20 still is using theirs due to it being able to fit inside the firehouse.[/quote]

That wagon was disposed of about 4 years ago. E20 has been using various late 90's E\-One Cyclone-II pumpers for a while now. E20 has not had space concerns since their firehouse was closed, and they were housed at E31.

DCFD Photos, old or new - hp1530 - 01-18-2007

[quote name='ResQguy' post='68917' date='Jan 18 2007, 19:44 ']That wagon was disposed of about 4 years ago. E20 has been using various late 90's E\-One Cyclone-II pumpers for a while now. E20 has not had space concerns since their firehouse was closed, and they were housed at E31.[/quote]

Thanks for the info ResQguy

[quote name='JFong' post='68894' date='Jan 18 2007, 21:58 ']Is DC still using those Ford/E-One pumpers? Heard that E-20 still is using theirs due to it being able to fit inside the firehouse.[/quote]

I just saw E-20 yesterday across Connecticut Ave from my apartment window. It looks like they are running a newer E\-One from up here on the 8th floor. It had a new light bar and fresh paint and was marked for E-20. They were running Reserve Engine 129 while they were at E-31's quarters until the end of this summer while thier own station was being rebuilt,( It's post number 11 on the first page of this thread)

Speaking of which, anyone know the new E 20's history? Did it come from one of the companies that got a new Seagrave?

Thank's I have been out of the loop a bit.

Edit, sorry if this seems to be redundant, ResQguy answered while I was writing, lol.

Art in DC

(I wish there was a old Ford around somehwere and I have never seen one in person, but I am sure the guys working are happy they are gone!)

DCFD Photos, old or new - Guest - 01-19-2007

[quote name='Cota1992' post='68919' date='Jan 18 2007, 22:50 ']I just saw E-20 yesterday across Connecticut Ave from my apartment window. It looks like they are running a newer E\-One from up here on the 8th floor. It had a new light bar and fresh paint and was marked for E-20. They were running Reserve Engine 129 while they were at E-31's quarters until the end of this summer while thier own station was being rebuilt,( It's post number 11 on the first page of this thread)

Speaking of which, anyone know the new E 20's history? Did it come from one of the companies that got a new Seagrave?

Edit, sorry if this seems to be redundant, ResQguy answered while I was writing, lol.

Art in DC

(I wish there was a old Ford around somehwere and I have never seen one in person, but I am sure the guys working are happy they are gone!)[/quote]

The last Fords I've seen were auctioned off a few months ago. [url="http://www.tomstrucksales.com/stock2019.htm"]http://www.tomstrucksales.com/stock2019.htm[/url] [url="http://www.tomstrucksales.com/stock596.htm"]http://www.tomstrucksales.com/stock596.htm[/url] E20 was running S129 for a while because their original E\-One is on display at the training academy.

DCFD Photos, old or new - pkbb - 01-19-2007

[quote name='Cota1992' post='68919' date='Jan 18 2007, 22:50 ']I just saw E-20 yesterday across Connecticut Ave from my apartment window. It looks like they are running a newer E\-One from up here on the 8th floor. It had a new light bar and fresh paint and was marked for E-20. They were running Reserve Engine 129 while they were at E-31's quarters until the end of this summer while thier own station was being rebuilt,( It's post number 11 on the first page of this thread)

Art in DC

(I wish there was a old Ford around somehwere and I have never seen one in person, but I am sure the guys working are happy they are gone!)[/quote]

First time trying to post, so excuse any errors. Tom's Truck Sales in Manassas has several of the DCFD Ford's for sale. Check out this link (if it works).

[url="http://www.tomstrucksales.com/Fire%20&%20Rescue.htm"]http://www.tomstrucksales.com/Fire%20&%20Rescue.htm[/url]

have a nice day

DCFD Photos, old or new - hp1530 - 01-19-2007

[quote name='Mack CF' post='68929' date='Jan 18 2007, 20:10 ']First time trying to post, so excuse any errors. Tom's Truck Sales in Manassas has several of the DCFD Ford's for sale. Check out this link (if it works).

[url="http://www.tomstrucksales.com/Fire%20&%20Rescue.htm"]http://www.tomstrucksales.com/Fire%20&%20Rescue.htm[/url]

have a nice day[/quote]

Looks like they have some Baltimore City trucks for sale too

DCFD Photos, old or new - foghog333 - 01-19-2007

dcfireman: Great description on each of the different models of wagons and the minor variations between each purchase. Thanks for the grat information.

Tom Shand

Hamburg, New York

DCFD Photos, old or new - foghog333 - 01-19-2007

Question on former DCFD rigs: Were any of the Ford/Young rehabs of the Ford/WLF rigs ever saved by anyone or re-sold to another department? Thank you.

Tom Shand

Hamburg, New York

DCFD Photos, old or new - 68mack - 01-19-2007

[quote name='Cota1992' post='68919' date='Jan 18 2007, 22:50 ']I just saw E-20 yesterday across Connecticut Ave from my apartment window. It looks like they are running a newer E\-One from up here on the 8th floor. It had a new light bar and fresh paint and was marked for E-20. They were running [color="#FF0000"]Reserve Engine 129 while they were at E-31's quarters [/color]until the end of this summer while thier own station was being rebuilt[/quote]

FYI - I was told that E-20 is running (Reserve Engine) S-129 and it was just relettered for the re-dedication of it's newly remodled station.

Chief - Your photo descriptions of the Fords are great - I would like to see that done for the whole DEPARTMENT sometime

DCFD Photos, old or new - 68mack - 01-19-2007

Speaking of the Ford E-Ones DCFD had. I had the chance to have this DCFD piece posed at one of the DC Gov't Parks & Recs Camp Riverview in Scotland, MD. I do not have the S-# for this rig or its assignment but something in the back of my head is telling me it is S-186 belonging to Engine 23. DCFD has over the years have provided an engine and first aid staff to the camps and has been an old reserve piece except when they had the 2 of the 3 US Military rigs from Pax River.

DCFD Photos, old or new - smketrfdny - 01-19-2007

Between the ugly stars and bars pant scheme (anything with marion barry was usually a scheme...lol), underpowered, no jake brake or similar aux. braking device, without a doubt the worst rigs DCFD ever bought.

Of course, very poor maintenance didn't help them either.

DCFD Photos, old or new - Guest - 01-19-2007

I've always loved the unique look of the "phone booth" Fords. I've never seen too many outside of DC though.