Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portland House Fire 10-23-13
10-23-13 around 17:45 a box was tansmitted for a house fire at 9943 E. Burnside St. The fire was actually about 1/2 block north of E. Burnside on 100th Ave.

It was an abandoned building, boarded up and surrounded by trees, making it challenging for photos.

First due Eng. 19 stopped at a hydrant nearly in front of the property. They stopped close to the curb to leave room in the street for other arriving apparatus.

[Image: p465200420-4.jpg]

[Image: p273857126-4.jpg]

[Image: p411131350-4.jpg]

[Image: p420864773-4.jpg]

[Image: p241656985-4.jpg]

[Image: p136478373-4.jpg]

There was a little better visibility on the B side, but it was close to a fence, giving limited room.

[Image: p29553504-4.jpg]

[Image: p166808398-4.jpg]

Firepix "opie" confers with Chief Stenhouse.
[Image: p24640916-4.jpg]

I finally found an opening in  the trees so I could see some fire.
[Image: p133746297-4.jpg]

Nice set of photos despite the cramped conditions.
Looks a little "chuggy" as we call it...nice pics.  Portland does a solid job.

Good photos, Dick!

tHANKs
tHANKs
Another good one, finally got some fire!

Am I looking at this right? Do the cross lays of Engine 19 really hook up on the officer's side of the pump panel? Doesn't seem real super practical when you pull them from the driver's side.

Great photos!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Am I looking at this right? Do the cross lays of Engine 19 really hook up on the officer's side of the pump panel? Doesn't seem real super practical when you pull them from the driver's side.

Great photos!

Trav!

I'm pretty sure they have a 1 3/4" preconnect off the driver's side, then a 1 3/4" and a 2 1/2" preconnect off the officer's side.  It's a real common setup here in the Pacific NW.
Quote:Am I looking at this right? Do the cross lays of Engine 19 really hook up on the officer's side of the pump panel? Doesn't seem real super practical when you pull them from the driver's side.

We have this exact setup on the pumper we have at the VFD.  Two crosslays off the passenger side pump panel, while the other uses a standard chicksan swivel.  A reduction in friction loss within the pump housing was our goal.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA

Great photos!

Trav!

Sorry, but after 30 years on the job, I don't think about those details. I now concentrate on taking photos of the fire. Smile

Great photos!

Trav!
Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting set up I can see the easy loading and reduction in friction loss. We have moved back to pulling from the rear hose bed, which is the same thing hose connects outside the bed as in the photo. However there is no problem going left or right since it is at the rear. Our main reason is the PUC design makes loading and stretching difficult. So it actually worked in my and other traditionalist favor who had been pushing for rear pulls for years but the Mattydale transverse hose load lovers kept pushing us down. We now have one 200ft, 1.75" one 200ft 2.5" and dead bed 400ft of 2.5" Yed 100ft 1.75"strapped-bundled all from the low rear hose bed. It makes for fast fire ground efficiency and leaves room for the Ladder Truck at the front of the structure. Great Photos love seeing the Portland Fire Department in action. 

Stay Safe,

Rick 

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri