Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to them SCOPE coming to PA
I hear on another forum this is coming to PA.

http://www.fentonfire.com/ladders_and_qu...p?lid=4409

Any ideas who bough it?

Wexford, PA
Good luck with that POS. I was a member of Pleasantville, NY when they first bought it. Nothing but problems. It would often get stuck in the extended position. Hydraulic system basically destroyed itself do to a poor design. It was built by Baker, before Seagrave bought them out. IIRC They built about 19, all were problem children from what i have heard.
It was out of service for the last 3 years it was with Pleasantville.  It was sent from one repair shop to another, where one mechanic broke something on it, and basically said, "it can't be fixed".  Pleasantville had it sent to Seagrave in Wisconsin, who agreed to look at it and come  up with a plan to fix it.  Seagrave looked at and basically recommended rebuilding it to Aerialscope II standards within the old boom from around $300,000, just for the work to the boom. 

I was told that wexford was buying a new Seagrave scope, just like adams area is buying a new Seagrave eng

LEMON LEMON LEMON LEMON   GET THE POINT !

From what I understand this unit had a complete overhaul, and came with some sort of warranty, which is why Wexford purchased it.  From my point a view a lemon is a lemon.  This is a big step for Wexford as they are going from a 50' Mack CF Squrt, to this monster.

Quote:From what I understand this unit had a complete overhaul, and came with some sort of warranty, which is why Wexford purchased it.  From my point a view a lemon is a lemon.  This is a big step for Wexford as they are going from a 50' Mack CF Squrt, to this monster.
What is going to happen to the Mack squrt?
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Quote:What is going to happen to the Mack squrt?
That squrt would make a nice rig for your collection Ed.
Patrick Shoop Sr.

Lewistown, PA.
Quote:That squrt would make a nice rig for your collection Ed.
That is why I asked.  Never saw it. 
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Read what was done to it on the Fenton page right sidebar. It really is a good value for an Aerialscope, most of which now go for north of $1 million.

Where I worked, Hartsdale, we had a 1994 FWD/Baker Aerialscope 95' /Saulsbury. Each unit was built differently due to quality control, and the schematics weren't relevant.

grumpyFF would know more about P'ville, but Hartsdale's ladder sat for almost 3 years with people pointing fingers about who was to blame. In my opinion, it was sent to the wrong people to repair it over the years to begin with, and those shops actually did more damage. I'm pretty sure they've invested more money in that truck then it's currently worth, and it should have been maintained/rebuilt  a long time ago. Hartsdale recently decided to have the boom put back together after the 3 year saga and Seagrave put it back together with a new bucket, and basically that's it. Everything else is there same. But what actually put it out of service was the Commisioner's sons, who was a newer career firefighter, backed it into a wall at the station, damaging the bucket and linkage.

And it's not just the aerial, the engine and transmission are significantly underpowered, and the rear differential too small given the hills in Hartsdale.

It's sad that they had the largest users of Aerialscopes in the world 30 minutes to the south, and could't find a proper repair facility, mainly because commissioners sent rigs to whomever they liked.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I don't think they are selling the squirt. They have two firehouses. Probably one at each.
actually they have 3 stations n I do believe its bring sold

You can do what ever you want to them basic rule, you can't polish a turd.

All from that era were problematic.  Pleasentville, Hartsdale where Seth worked and operated that 'scope and also the 95' 'scope Bridgeport CT purchased to replace the 75' Scope that Truck 5 ran; whihc the 95' never went into service and later sold to department in VA, all had similar problmes if I recall correctly.

Quote:That is why I asked.  Never saw it. 
It's a T-Squrt Ed
The Ex Bridgeport rig is still in service in here in Smithfield Va. Have not had a bit of trouble with it other than the electronic monitor which we replaced with a manual one.