Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richmond, Va
Alex, pretty sharpe looking. With all the fuss over, can't see what company it is and the large numbers were added a few years back, why such small numbers on these new rides?

Why not stay standard?
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
The numbers on the front corners of the cabs were being changed to a larger size font the last day we were up there. I wish the ones on the rear compartment were larger too, but it is what it is at this point. We wanted to do numbers on the front grille, but the 2010 EPA emissions requirements make that impossible now. I believe we could have done numbers painted over the grilles, but that was very expensive for what ever reason.
[quote name='tk1sq' timestamp='1323749028' post='467079']

Rescue look's good, now all they have to do is come to town. Can't wait to get out of the FRV and back into a real rescue!

[/quote]

Keep your fingers crossed.
[quote name='alex3610' timestamp='1323750626' post='467090']

The numbers on the front corners of the cabs were being changed to a larger size font the last day we were up there. I wish the ones on the rear compartment were larger too, but it is what it is at this point. We wanted to do numbers on the front grille, but the 2010 EPA emissions requirements make that impossible now. I believe we could have done numbers painted over the grilles, but that was very expensive for what ever reason.

[/quote]

With that style of lettering for the numbers, it jambs them up. I was looking at the 21's and it appears to look like 81. From a liitle back from the rig it may be hard to tell the numbers. The five in the field, I had to look real close to see which was which. Just my take on it, as I went through the small number thing back after they came in and no one wanted to increase the size, before the largers numbers were added a few years later.

I'll get an up close look next week when they arrive in Chester.
John Hinant

I'd tend to agree, that font style makes those numbers difficult to discern from a distance. We had less input on graphics than just about any other aspect of these rigs. Also, about a month ago the fire chief decided he wanted the numbers to be installed on removable placards. I think Pierce said at that stage in the game it would have been an addition $750 per unit, so that got dropped. If I were up to me, these rigs would all be painted solid red, with a single white stripe. Nice big clear numbers, the ACTUAL department patch on the door, and call it a day.
[quote name='alex3610' timestamp='1323752329' post='467098']

I'd tend to agree, that font style makes those numbers difficult to discern from a distance. We had less input on graphics than just about any other aspect of these rigs. Also, about a month ago the fire chief decided he wanted the numbers to be installed on removable placards. I think Pierce said at that stage in the game it would have been an addition $750 per unit, so that got dropped. If I were up to me, these rigs would all be painted solid red, with a single white stripe. Nice big clear numbers, the ACTUAL department patch on the door, and call it a day.

[/quote]

Very nice looking trucks! I'm looking forward to photographing some of these when the weather turns warmer next year.

So $750 is the going rate for placards these days? Even if you wanted placards to begin with, they couldn't be installed until after the truck was painted so adding them at the last minute shouldn't be an excuse for price gouging.

I'm really liking the single Mars light under the windshield, classy. I also agree that the department patch on the door would've looked really sharp.
Alex3610 - Thank you so much for sharing all the photos and information to those of us who follow Richmond Fire closely. Hopefully, you will have time for a few more questions.

1. I know the heavy rescues have been sold to Brindlee Mountain. What will be the fate of Engine 11 and all the quints being replaced? I would assume at least one will go to the FTA since only pumpers are there now. Any information will be appreciated.

2. Double checking. Non of the quints have foam. Correct?

3. I was unaware that Engine 11 would be a CAFS rig. Can you supply the foam cell size? A, B, or both?

4. Finally, how about the foam cell size for the PUC due in April? 30? A only?

Many thanks for all - Jerry
[quote name='firemag' timestamp='1323790479' post='467114']

Alex3610 - Thank you so much for sharing all the photos and information to those of us who follow Richmond Fire closely. Hopefully, you will have time for a few more questions.

1. I know the heavy rescues have been sold to Brindlee Mountain. What will be the fate of Engine 11 and all the quints being replaced? I would assume at least one will go to the FTA since only pumpers are there now. Any information will be appreciated.

2. Double checking. Non of the quints have foam. Correct?

3. I was unaware that Engine 11 would be a CAFS rig. Can you supply the foam cell size? A, B, or both?

[/quote]

JP, as per their web site it shows

[url="http://www.firetruckmall.com/trucks/1998-Pierce-quantum-heavy-rescue/"]1998 Pierce Quantum Heavy Rescue[/url]

Diesel, Automatic, 500 GPM Pump, 250 Gallon Tank, 25KW PTO Generator

Only one remaining!

[url="http://www.firetruckmall.com/trucks/1998-Pierce-dash-105-quint/"]1998 Pierce Dash 105′ Quint[/url]

Diesel, Automatic, 2000 GPM Pump, 300 Gallon Tank

Only one remaining!

I would think they would keep the 75's and the FRV in reserve, but I can't say.
John Hinant

[quote name='firemag' timestamp='1323790479' post='467114']

1. I know the heavy rescues have been sold to Brindlee Mountain. What will be the fate of Engine 11 and all the quints being replaced? I would assume at least one will go to the FTA since only pumpers are there now. Any information will be appreciated. [indent=1]All 4 105' Quints and all 3 Rescues were traded in as part of the first transaction. This struck all of us as very strange when we only ordered 2 105's and 2 rescues in that same order. There has been talk that FTA will receive a quint of some sort. Which one and when is unknown, if it happens at all. No one has told us yet what will happen with the FRV at 11 currently. I would tend to think we would want to purge the FRV's from the system as they have very limited usefull purpose, but who knows. We reccomended that 11 be allowed to operate the new engine to all responses as sort of a trial period to assess the CAFS as well as prove that not everyone needs to be in a quint. Again nothing has come back on that. In theory, this engine could go in service with a 40k+ CAFS option and only get driven to EMS calls. I hope not, but it is certainly possible. Who knows.

2. Double checking. Non of the quints have foam. Correct?[/indent] [indent=1]Correct.

[/indent][indent=1]40 gallons of Class A foam.

[/indent][indent=1]40 gallons of Class A foam.

[/quote]

I look forward to seeing the new rigs in print in your publication! I feel OK taking mediocre pictures with my point & shoot because I know you guys will follow behind me with the real thing.

[/indent]
Alex,

great job by you and the apparatus committee, to bad the butt wipes in administration (that do not ride our work off these trucks) could not listen to the group (as usual) but once again went with more gadgets to break down and no one will know how to fix.(total knucklehead move) thanks again for you guys hard work and dedication.

Breeze
2 questions; what does FRV stand for?

Alex; are these the first trucks in some time that have airhorns I take it based on your previous comment?

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
[quote name='Juice' timestamp='1324068174' post='467471']

2 questions; what does FRV stand for?

Alex; are these the first trucks in some time that have airhorns I take it based on your previous comment?

Trav!

[/quote]

First Responce Vehicle

None of the 31 peices ordered unter the Total Quint Concept had convention air horns. They had the electronic version.

Apparatus bought since 2003 have had conventional airhorns.
John Hinant

Thanks for the quick answer, looking through all of these photos I hadn't even noticed that.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
The original specifications for the TQC apparatus, had Grover air horns, plus some other items. The Chief at that time wanted changes in the spec's and thus the electronic version of the air horn replaced the conventional ones, as well as the Roto-Ray light replaced the Mars 888 light.

After the rigs came in and the company officers began a list of complaints, the auto shop was directed to begin the installation of the conventional air horns. I don't' think they ever did anything on it as they yelled about the original spec's and the cost of procuring and installing them.

They had the call on it as in Richmond all vehicles belong to the auto shop, aka fleet maintenance, and the agencies pays a rental back to them, which cover most maintenance and cost of replacement.
John Hinant

[quote name='Res4cue' timestamp='1324013663' post='467438']

Alex,

great job by you and the apparatus committee, to bad the butt wipes in administration (that do not ride our work off these trucks) could not listen to the group (as usual) but once again went with more gadgets to break down and no one will know how to fix.(total knucklehead move) thanks again for you guys hard work and dedication.

Breeze

[/quote]

Isn't that the truth! Most everything on the 1998 apparatus was asked for and designed by a committee of members in the field, on each type of apparatus. Only a few minor items were mandated by the COD at the time.

It was suggested that the dealer do any and all the repairs which was out of the realm of the auto shop guys. Again, this fell on deaf ears, as you know who actually owns all the vehicles. The FD doesn't have or get a lot to say.
John Hinant

Here is a look at the two new heavy rescues that recently arrived in Virginia. Arrow XT Chassis, Cummins ISL9 450hp / Allison 4000 trans, Onan 38kw direct drive gen, 4 preconnected Holmatro Core reels including 2 on the front bumper. In a departure from the current rescues, these have NO pump and booster tank. Sorry for the low quality camera phone image, I'm sure the real photographers on here will have something better for us soon!

[Image: rescue%25201%2520and%25203%2520aes%2520chester.jpg]
Sweeeeet!
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:Richmond historians help me out. When 31 and 33 where Tactical units, did they not run pumpers with no hose? Was there a logical reasaon for that?. Aslo didn't the second piece of two piece Engine co not have hose either?

How about more details on Unit 32. Any one have pictures? Was there ever a Baker Scope in servie in Richmond or did Chestefield 3 have the only one?

I do believe around 1980 practically every Engine Co. had some sort of a second piece, be it a pumper, mini-pumper (attack) Unit thing like 99, Tanker, bush, foam etc. Correct?

Enough questions for now.

Thanks Tongue1
I worked there back in the seventies. The two tactical squads ran engines and they did carry hose in their hose beds.
Quote:I worked there back in the seventies. The two tactical squads ran engines and they did carry hose in their hose beds.
There were quite a few 2 piece engine companies using a Wagon/Pumper. Both the wagon and pumper carried full hose beds of hose. In the late 70's/80's the wagons were replaced by mini pumper wagons in some 2 piece engine companies. They never ran baker scopes in Richmond although they were built in the west end of Richmond.