Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex Wilson, NC Truck 1
For approximately 2 months, Wilmington, DE has leased the former Wilson, NC Truck 1 from Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus.  We were using this truck while our Ladder 1, 2006 Pierce TDA, was out for repairs to damage caused by an accident when a stolen vehicle being pursued by police crashed into the trailer of Ladder 1 in the area of the Officer's side tiller wheel.  The tillerman suffered a shoulder injury when he was thrown into the door of the cab, he is still off on injured leave.  Thankfully he, and the other 3 crew members were all wearing their seatbelts.  Ladder 1 used Reserve Ladder 3, a 1998 KME TDA, which has seen much better days and is hanging on by a thread right now.  During the time Ladder 1 was out of service, Tower 2, 2006 Pierce 95' mid-mount tower, experienced major engine problems and had to also be taken out of service, leaving the department with no ladder apparatus to put the company in.  Enter Ex Wilson Truck 1, a 1998 HME/Central/RK Aerials 109' aerial.  This truck was used for the 1 month plus that Tower 2 was out of serivce.

These photos were taken the other day at the city motor vehicle shops just before the truck was to be returned to Brindlee.

Attached Files Image(s)

Rob Pryor, Captain

Wilmington, DE Fire Department

Firefighter, Five Points Fire Company, New Castle County, DE Station 17

http://www.facebook....p?id=1435317177

In Memory of Lieutenant Chris Leach, Engine 6-D, Senior Firefighter Jerry Fickes, Squad 4-C, and Senior Firefighter Ardy Hope Engine 5-C LODD 9-24-2016.

In Memory of P/M Stephanie Callaway "Gigglemedic", Sussex County EMS Medic #1357, LODD 6-17-08
Another view.  Wilmington is currently in the process of putting out to bid a TDA to replace Ladder 3, the 1998 KME TDA.  Tower 2 would then be placed into reserve with the new TDA going to Ladder 2.

Attached Files Image(s)

Rob Pryor, Captain

In Memory of Lieutenant Chris Leach, Engine 6-D, Senior Firefighter Jerry Fickes, Squad 4-C, and Senior Firefighter Ardy Hope Engine 5-C LODD 9-24-2016.

In Memory of P/M Stephanie Callaway "Gigglemedic", Sussex County EMS Medic #1357, LODD 6-17-08
Truck 1, Wilson, NC (retired)

1998 HME 1871/Central States

1250/500/10AF/30BF/109' RK

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Dave.  At last check on 11/4, the HME was still sitting at the shops awaiting its return to Brindlee....But, the 2006 tower went down again yesterday with a blown power steering pump or reservoir...not sure which, but it was leaking fluid all over the apparatus bay and street and had to be towed from the station.  Stay tuned.

Rob Pryor, Captain

Quote:For approximately 2 months, Wilmington, DE has leased the former Wilson, NC Truck 1 from Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus.  We were using this truck while our Ladder 1, 2006 Pierce TDA, was out for repairs to damage caused by an accident when a stolen vehicle being pursued by police crashed into the trailer of Ladder 1 in the area of the Officer's side tiller wheel.  The tillerman suffered a shoulder injury when he was thrown into the door of the cab, he is still off on injured leave.  Thankfully he, and the other 3 crew members were all wearing their seatbelts.  Ladder 1 used Reserve Ladder 3, a 1998 KME TDA, which has seen much better days and is hanging on by a thread right now.  During the time Ladder 1 was out of service, Tower 2, 2006 Pierce 95' mid-mount tower, experienced major engine problems and had to also be taken out of service, leaving the department with no ladder apparatus to put the company in.  Enter Ex Wilson Truck 1, a 1998 HME/Central/RK Aerials 109' aerial.  This truck was used for the 1 month plus that Tower 2 was out of serivce.

These photos were taken the other day at the city motor vehicle shops just before the truck was to be returned to Brindlee.
I remember this was built with a tag axle. Did you ever use it? It is interesting. Thanks for sharing. Rick 
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Rick, it does have the all-steer, I don't believe that we were using it, way to complicated a feature (IMHO) to use for people who have limited training and experience on it.  I believe this truck is still in Wilmington, although not currently being used.

Rob Pryor, Captain

Quote:Rick, it does have the all-steer, I don't believe that we were using it, way to complicated a feature (IMHO) to use for people who have limited training and experience on it.  I believe this truck is still in Wilmington, although not currently being used.
Okay, I feel the need to clear something up.  The above apparatus is equipped with a "self-steering tag axle", not All-Steer, which is a programmable/controllable all-wheel steering system exclusive to Pierce/Oshkosh.  On the above rig, only the second rear axle steers and it is operated by either gravitational/centrifugal forces on the caster angle of the axle or is operated hydraulically in conjunction with the front steering axle.  This system is often seen on large buses and motor homes. This system is always active, there is no turning it off.  With this design, the second rear axle steers the opposite direction of the front axle and the vehicle pivots on the first rear axle.  Vehicles equipped with this feature will typically have dual tires on the first rear axle and a single tire on the second rear axle.

On an All-Steer system, all axles are steerable, either in "coordinated" or "crab" mode.  In coordinated mode, both rear axles steer the opposite direction of the front axle, allowing a much tighter turn radius and decreased tire wear.  The cramp angle of the first rear axle is less than that of the second rear axle, which allows smooth turns without dragging the tires.  In crab mode, all axles will steer the same direction, allowing the vehicle to walk to the left or to the right.  All-Steer vehicles have single tires on all axles.

Quote:On an All-Steer system, all axles are steerable, either in "coordinated" or "crab" mode.  In coordinated mode, both rear axles steer the opposite direction of the front axle, allowing a much tighter turn radius and decreased tire wear.  The cramp angle of the first rear axle is less than that of the second rear axle, which allows smooth turns without dragging the tires.  In crab mode, all axles will steer the same direction, allowing the vehicle to walk to the left or to the right.  All-Steer vehicles have single tires on all axles.

Dave, have you had a chance to see the new Pierce T3 AWS?  It's an always-live, all-mechanical AWS system that I anticipate will change how Pierce aerials are purchased by most customers.  On the T3, the front tandem turns at 3 degrees, and the rear tandem steers at 6 degrees.  No tail swing, and smooth enough to drive over speed bumps at 35mph and not feel them.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote: 

Dave, have you had a chance to see the new Pierce T3 AWS?  It's an always-live, all-mechanical AWS system that I anticipate will change how Pierce aerials are purchased by most customers.  On the T3, the front tandem turns at 3 degrees, and the rear tandem steers at 6 degrees.  No tail swing, and smooth enough to drive over speed bumps at 35mph and not feel them.
I had heard that Pierce had a new AWS system, but didn't know the details.  Thanks for the update!
Ok...I am corrected.  I was unaware that it couldn't be turned off, I guess I just wasn't paying attention that it was passive and being used the whole time.  I guess it just wasn't that noticable.  Thanks for the info Dave.

Rob Pryor, Captain

Quote:Ok...I am corrected.  I was unaware that it couldn't be turned off, I guess I just wasn't paying attention that it was passive and being used the whole time.  I guess it just wasn't that noticable.  Thanks for the info Dave.
Thank you for being receptive, Rob.  My intent was not to single you out, but rather to clearly explain the systems so everyone could understand the differences.  In the past, I encountered an individual who insisted that his department had a Spartan/S&S tanker with All-Steer........
Even at that, S&S technically marketed them as "Twin Steer"

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Dave,

No offense taken.  Actually it was more of a semantics thing in my case....I am by no means mechanically inclined, and I have no idea what to call "it".  It being the rear steering axle.  Incidentally. the new TDA finally went out to bid last week.  Will be interested to see what becomes of this.  My money is on Pierce, since that is what we have been buying for the past 10 years. 

Rob Pryor, Captain