Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowhouse Fire + Explosion - Baltimore 2/19/14
Sitting in my office downtown this afternoon, waiting for a 4 p.m. conference call, when BCFD Dispatch alerted units for a reported explosion and fire on N. Lakewood Avenue, about 2 miles from my office.  I couldn't really leave, so I went up to the rooftop parking garage to check the smoke condition, it was pushing pretty good. Unfortunately I "hemmed and hawwed" before finally going.  When I pulled in about a block away, most of the fire had been extinguished but there was still a decent amount of smoke showing.  Then, as I started to shoot, I was getting a "card Error" message on my D7000.  So I pulled out the iPhone5S and grabbed a few quick shots, then took the camera battery out which solved the issue.  So, ended up with some decent shots, left the scene as the hard rainfall started coming down and made it back to my office for the 4 pm conference call.

Shortly before 3 p.m. Wednesday, February 19, 2014, Baltimore City Fire Dispatch alerted units for a reported rowhouse fire with explosion at the intersection of N. Lakewood Avenue and Jefferson Street (Box 51-18) in East Baltimore.  BCFD Medic 24 was the first arriving unit on the scene and reported heavy fire in an end of the row dwelling with an apparent explosion and possibly civilians trapped inside.  Engine 33 and Battalion Chief 1 arrived moments later and the Chief requested a Working Fire Dispatch.  Units were limited to defensive operations due to the volume of fire and explosion.  Multiple handlines were deployed and as firefighters extinguished the fire from outside, they searched exposure buildings.  A child who was reportedly walking home from school and passed the structure as it exploded was injured and treated at his nearby school before being transported to an area hospital.  Two adults were also transported to area hospitals with non life-threatening injuries. Firefighters tragically located a deceased child under the rubble.

Attached Files Image(s)

One more cell phone photo ...

Attached Files Image(s)

Next ...

Attached Files Image(s)

Next ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Next ...

Next ...

Next ....

More pics are on my website: http://firepix1075.zenfolio.com/p165323050

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
<sub>Good shots Mike. You made it there before the cops roped it off for a block in every direction.</sub>

<sub>I was working and they sent us on the special call to dig out the bricks on the sidewalk looking for a possible second victim.</sub>

Great work!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>