Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire in a House Lenexa, Kansas 13216 W 95th St 12-30-2013
An overcast calm sixteen degree morning in the land of OZ. Toto and Dorothy are vacationing in a warmer climate this time of year. 

Johnson County Fire Alarm dispatched a reported fire in a house at 13216 W 95th Street in the Kansas City Suburb of Lenexa, Kansas with auto aide units from Overland Park. Caller advised fire on the second floor rear of the house. The majority of the Kansas City Metro Fire Departments change groups at 0700. Most of the Johnson County Fire Departments are the exception changing groups at 0800. I decided after being relieved at OFD Engine 1 to take a fire. Lenexa is an aggressive suburban fire department, they make good stops on fire. 

08:13 Fire Alarm dispatched a regular alarm assignment: Lenexa Ladder 91, Squad 91, Engine 92, BC 91 and Overland Park Quint 42, Engine 42, BC 45. 

BC 91 requested an additional fire unit.

08:44 Fire Alarm dispatched an additional engine : Lenexa Engine 91 (reserve-engine)

Four blocks from Lenexa Fire House 1 Ladder 91 arrived on scene with smoke showing from the roof of a two story wood frame. BC 91 arrived and positioned on side C and reported fire showing from the second floor. Squad 91 advanced one small from Ladder 91 to the second floor. Ladder 91 laddered side B and side D of the second floor. Engine 92 arrived captain and firemen and ran one small inside and FAO assisted Ladder 91 FAO. Engine 42 arrived and ran a second small to the second floor and opened up the celling with Squad 91. Quint 42 was assigned RIT. Ladder 91 FAO requested a pumper reverse out from the ladder. Engine 92 reverse laid from Ladder 91 to the plug and began relay pumping. BC 91 requested an additional fire unit. Engine 91 (reserve-engine) was dispatched and responded with the off going work group from Fire House 1. Lenexa made a good stop on this working fire. 

My arrival photo:

[Image: IMG_0535-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0538-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0568-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0548-XL.jpg]

Overland Park Engine 42

[Image: IMG_0577-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0570-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0590-XL.jpg]

Engine 91 (reserve-engine) just made the left turn at 95th and Pflumm RD responding emergency from Fire House 1. This was the last unit purchased with only a Federal PA electronic siren. After this purchase Lenexa added eQ2b sirens they have since returned to REAL Q2b sirens. 

[Image: IMG_0573-XL.jpg]

Lenexa Engine 91 (reserve-engine). This is one of the few real fire engines left in the metro. No over the road trucker grill here, just smooth front sheet metal the way fire engines and trucks should look. This was second to the last of nine Emergency One Hurricane Chassis purchased by Lenexa from 1987-2002.

[Image: IMG_0575-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0579-XL.jpg]

Soon to be replaced Overland Park Fire Department Engine 42 a 2000 E\-One Cyclone II one of two purchased. The bells on Engine 42 and Quint 42 were donated by a civilian husband and wife that adopted OPFD Fire House 2. It was a rather long process from the city and fire department to reach approval for the bells donation and placement on the two apparatus. Lawrence, Lenexa, and Olathe purchase bells as standard equipment on apparatus. 

[Image: IMG_0583-XL.jpg]

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Nice pics!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
That Ladder 91 is something else I love it. great photos.

Quote:That Ladder 91 is something else I love it. great photos.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Josh this is the machine that replaced the Lenexa's 1990 E\-One Hurricane 95ft Tower that is in your area now. That Tower Ladder was a gem and rarely rarely used. I am trying to remember, it only made six fires. It did have around 8000 orginal miles on it when sold. The TDA is the first Truck Lenexa has staffed daily in over thirty-two years. They had a 1978 ALF Century 100ft Water Chief Quint that was in regular service from 1978-1981 at Fire House 2 as the Truck making all fires and auto alarms. The new Fire Chief in 1981 decided it was not needed and she was unstaffed from 1981 until sold in 1995. They purchased new 95ft Towers in 1990 and 2002 that were also unstaffed. The 2002 Tower Ladder is the reserve for the TDA. The TDA has seen a decent amount of working fires since it went in service this summer. It is still getting rave reviews by the crews. I am hopping it will convince other metro departments to purchase TDA's. It makes me laugh how KCFD has always used TDA's and no suburbs every paid any attention. After hanging around KCFD over the years and tillering a few machines it has convinced me they are the way to go for a Truck Company. Overland Park had been watching Lenexa's TDA progress and are evaluating the options, but have not made any definite decisions. We looked at it but were in a bit of a bind with our 2007 Bronto Sky Lift and twenty-three year old 1989 Tower Ladder. So we opted for two new 2012 & 2013 100ft Tower Ladders for Truck 1 and Truck 2. They have been a good fit for our needs. I would not rule it out for the future now that our Truck Companies are working well, time will tell.

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri