Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honoring Rick Rudisill
Hi folks,

I know there is already a separate thread regarding the passing of Rick Rudisill.  I wanted to add a photograph to that thread but was unable to do so (I don’t believe the thread accepts attachments).

The news of Rick passing shocked me.  Rick is the person who got me started in the hobby of photographing fire apparatus.  I had received my driver’s license at the age of 16 and immediately started photographing fire apparatus with a small instamatic camera.  I don’t recall how I actually reached out to Rick, however I assume it was through The Visiting Fireman books.  I sent Rick samples of my work from my instamatic camera, and I am pretty sure he must have rolled his eyes and thought this Sanders guy needs some help.  I recall that the letter that was returned was encouraging – dump the instamatic and get a 35mm camera, ways to get better apparatus photos, gathering information on the truck, etc.  It also included a Rick Rudisill sample, which is what I have attached.  This was the very first photograph I ever “traded” with anyone, and quite frankly, it means a ton to me.  It is Pottsville, PA 1977 Seagrave 100’ with 1000/200.  His letter and photo started a very long timeframe of trading photos with Rick.  As a result, I have quite a few PA photos as well as other areas that he visited.  But more than that……it was the springboard into a hobby that I have loved for 32 years.  The apparatus photographs are one thing……it is the people that mean the most.  Rick took the time and encouraged a newbie to enjoy the hobby.  That alone showed a lot about the man.

I will let you know that I never personally met Rick.  Everything was done through the mail.  He invited me to attend the Hershey parades that use to be a yearly event.  We never hooked up because he was involved with the parade and I was in awe over the number of fire trucks gathered together at one place.  I regret I never had the opportunity to shake his hand.

I hate cancer, which from what I understand is how Rick died.  As with most, I have been personally touched by this terrible disease with the loss of a family member.

My prayers and thoughts are with Rick’s family and the members of the Hershey VFD family.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Well said Mike.

Patrick Shoop Sr.

Lewistown, PA.
In the 1980's, Rick wrote a column for "FIRE SERVICE DIGEST" about buffing in PA.  As a fellow columnist, I got to know him through his writing and some correspondence that followed.  Rick was always helpful and provided answers to my many questions. 

I had visited the Hershey FD on several occasions, but never at a time when Rick was there.  A couple years ago, I wanted to visit again and update my collection with their new rigs.  In earler visits, I had lucked out and found someone at the station, but the last time or two, I had not.  This time, I wanted to make prior contact and set something up, so I called Rick.  He immediately remembered me from way back then and told me he would set everything up for me.  When I arrived, he was already there with a crew of drivers.  Within a very short time, I had added several rigs to my collection.  My buddy Dan was with me and added them to his collection also. 

That was the only time I ever met Rick in person and I was impressed with his friendliness and willingness to help me out.  Since I'm nobody special, it must be that he was just that kind of guy, one that will be sorely missed in this world.  Rest in peace, Friend! 

It is worth noting that Rick had no less than 4 apparatus photos published in the current issue of the MARYLAND FIRE DISPATCH. A fitting tribute,IMO.

Excellent tribute, Mike.  Very well done.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Georgia Dave: How i loved that Fire Service Digest that you spoke of. Forgot about that paper.

What ever became of the publisher (Dave...)?

Quote:Georgia Dave: How i loved that Fire Service Digest that you spoke of. Forgot about that paper.

What ever became of the publisher (Dave...)?
I sent you a PM.