Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Still & Box 2386 Blue Island Aug 11, 2013
Today, 2386 Blue island Ave. Roof fire on a commercial building. It appears roofers were working with torches, I assume on some kinda multi-ply roofing. Some moderate smoke for a bit, lots of roof work. TL 5 reported making something like 7 or 8 vent holes in the roof. The building was sprinklered and as you can see in the photos the siamese was charged, early in the incident. Several handlines were used interior from what I could tell. An interesting job, and pretty tough on the members doing the work.

Attached Files Image(s)

TL5 for roof access

Attached Files Image(s)

This was about the most I really saw

Attached Files Image(s)

almost like they posed for this shot

Attached Files Image(s)

putting the jack plates down

Attached Files Image(s)

into the sprinkler system

Attached Files Image(s)

first due 23

Attached Files Image(s)

command board

Attached Files Image(s)

OFI rig

Attached Files Image(s)

ladder in the rear

Attached Files Image(s)

hmmmmm

Attached Files Image(s)

that's it..not much to see really

Attached Files Image(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWhWfwTVyg

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Good photos, like to see the snorkel getting set up!

[color="#FF0000"]D Herndobler[/color]
Love the Chicago stuff
I've always respected the Chicago guys, but kept my distance.  I always figured they didn't need someone coming by to gawk.  This week while at FRI we walked to a station near where we were eating dinner (E13/Truck 6) just to see the place and I was instantly amazed at how friendly, welcoming and inviting the folks were that we talked to.  Obviously, some of the guys probably didn't wish to be bothered, but those that were outside were amazingly down to earth and seemed genuinely interested in chatting with some out of town small department guys.  We then walked to E98 and were even more engaged by a hilarious cigar smoking officer that was again all too happy to chat for what easily was 30+ minutes.  Lastly we walked to E42/Truck 3 and again the engine Lt. couldn't have been nicer.  Absolutely top notch folks....
I've always found that guys downtown are usually more approachable because they are used to the out of town guys being around and wanting to see the stations.. We don't get many out of towners at my station in the burbs. I have always been accommodating to anyone other Firefighter who stops in to visit.   

I went to Chicago in 2011 and went to several stations, it was hit or miss on the friendliness of the guys. At 98 ,42,and 103 they were all very nice. Some of the other stations not so much such as 78. I understood though that 78 is hit up everyday and that may have been why they were not so friendly . The nicest station we went to was 30. Captain Kelly was so nice and his men where as well!!!