Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrisonburg Rescue Squad, Virginia
The Harrisonburg Rescue Squad (known simply as "Rescue 40") is an all-volunteer company that provides EMS and heavy rescue services to the City of Harrisonburg (home of James Madison University) and neighboring Rockingham County, Virginia.

Rescue 40 is an extremely impressive and busy organization, running upwards of 8,000 calls a year (over 20 a day) with 100% volunteer staffing.  My dad and I had a great visit last summer where several members rolled out the red carpet.

Squad 41 has received a lot of press, it is a very impressive 2015 Pierce Velocity with a 250/250/10.  Equipped with a light tower, 6 bottle cascade system, awning, and tie-off anchors (built into the squad body), this thing is a beast.

The former Squad 41 is a much smaller 1999 Spartan/Luverne.  During our visit last year, plans had not been finalized for the outcome of this truck.  Rumors of converting it into a Rehab unit were talked about.

A group shot of the two Rescue's in quarters.  We visited Company 40 shortly after the delivery of the new Pierce.

Harrisonburg's Rehab 40 is a 2007 Chevy/Supreme.  Plans for this truck hinged on what was decided for the Spartan/Luverne.

SERV 45 is a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500/Shade.  It primarily tows the Department's MCI trailer, which has the capability to treat 100 patients. Harrisonburg's MCI unit can be used State-wide.

A closer look at SERV 45.

Rescue 40 operates several ambulances, a variety of smaller units with Ford/Dodge front ends and several larger monster medics.

Ambulance 47 was the departments newest during our visit, a sharp 2013 Dodge/Road Rescue.  Harrisonburg has one of the nicest paint schemes for a medic unit, in my opinion.

This 2011 Ford F-550/AEV operates as Ambulance 45.  It's not uncommon for Harrisonburg to have 4 or 5 ambulances on calls at a given time.

The old Ambulance 45 is still on the roster, but not used very often.  This 'van-bulance' is a 1991 Ford/Wheeled Coach.  Don't see too many of these anymore....

SERV 40 is a newer 2015 Chevy Suburban, primarily used by the Duty Officer.

This Ford Excurision is used as a utility.

SERV 46 is a 2013 Chevy Tahoe.  The Department utilizes several of these types of units as ALS chase buggies.  Staffing usually has the ambulances staffed as BLS units, with medics chasing ALS calls in the SERVs.

That's all I've got from Rescue 40.  Very impressive volunteer department.  For additional photos of some Of the other medic units (and the Harrisonburg Fire Department), check out my dads Smugmug page, <a class="bbc_url" href="https://mnsand.smugmug.com/Other-1/City-of-Harrisonburg-Virginia/">https://mnsand.smugmug.com/Other-1/City-of-Harrisonburg-Virginia/</a>

Great series of photos and background information! Much appreciated.

Great pictures. Beautiful trucks. The wife and I go through Harrisonburg when we go see her family in West Virginia.

Thanks for sharing 

Quote:A group shot of the two Rescue's in quarters.  We visited Company 40 shortly after the delivery of the new Pierce.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=331666">11703362_10206987589150335_6421145791803413233_n.jpg</a>

Is it just me or is the Pierce leaning significantly to the drivers side?
Quote:Is it just me or is the Pierce leaning significantly to the drivers side?
My guess is the floor is sloped. 
Quote:Is it just me or is the Pierce leaning significantly to the drivers side?

I thought the same thing when I looked at it....