Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VFDNY
I've always been interested to learn more about the volunteer fire companies located within the limits of New York City. It looked like some others might also have had some questions. I decided to post this thread here to save the thread on Rockaway Point's new ladder unit for just photos.

1. How are the vollie houses dispatched? Do they carry tone pagers and do they respond and operate on the same frequency as the FDNY units?

2. Are there training requirements that volunteer members must obtain to be able to ride to calls?

3. Are the volunteer company members permitted to do all the same firefighting activities that FDNY members perform?

4. Is there an association or some other governing body that decides things like equipment standards, unit designations for all the vollie houses in the city?

5. Is there a map that shows each vollie house's first due area?

6. Are they listed on the run card to be sent to greater alarm fires in adjoining neighborhoods (where they are not first due)

If I think of some additional questions, I'll post them.

not sure if fdny dispatches them but they have heard their sirens going off a few times a month. Edgewater vfd in the Bronx does mostly medicals and water rescues,cant tell you much about fire activity. it has  very narrow streets. its a small gated community with small 1 story houses there first due area cant be more than 2 miles. Aviation vfd in the Bronx was disbaned a few years ago.

I believe, but am not positive, that at least the Staten Island volunteers are dispatched by FDNY to alarms in their area as an additional unit above the regular assignment.  I believe they are used as a regular engine once on scene, but it is up to the discretion of the incident commander just what they do.

Quote:Fass, as I have profiled most of the volly companies in NYC on my apparatus photography website, here's answers to your questions...

All volly companies in the city serve remote areas (i.e. beachfront), they were established many years ago as they were far from the nearest FDNY companies and wanted better coverage. They all operate apparatus designed to meet their unique response areas including beachfront access, narrow drive ways, etc. Some are custom built for a specific purpose, others are second hand adapted to their needs (all are "unyque" to say the least).     

1. How are the vollie houses dispatched? Do they carry tone pagers and do they respond and operate on the same frequency as the FDNY units?

Usually self dispatched, direct dial emergency numbers the community is familiar with. Some have FDNY teleprinters in-house as well. The two Staten Island companies (Richmond Engine Co# 1 & Oceanic H & L) are chartered with FDNY and as such are dispatched by

voice/siren alert by FDNY Communications office. Broad Channel VFD in Queens uses a mechanical siren atop their firehouse in addition to voice alerts. VFDNY depts. operate on their own frequencies.   

2. Are there training requirements that volunteer members must obtain to be able to ride to calls? Most VFDNY train at the Nassau County Fire Service Academy on Long Island, several depts. also train at NYPD ESU base at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn for EVOC.  

3. Are the volunteer company members permitted to do all the same firefighting activities that FDNY members perform? Yes, their members are FF1 certified, trained primarily at NCFSA as mentioned above. When operating alongside FDNY, they typically work under the

direction of the FDNY chief in charge and carry out operations at his direction.  

4. Is there an association or some other governing body that decides things like equipment standards, unit designations for all the vollie houses in the city? While there is an NYC Vol. Firemen's Assoc., each dept. operates independently. 

5. Is there a map that shows each vollie house's first due area? Not that I know of online, sure they have their own coverage maps in-house.  

6. Are they listed on the run card to be sent to greater alarm fires in adjoining neighborhoods (where they are not first due) - again, self dispatched to alarms in their own area. Some companies based on their location & assets (i.e .boats) are assigned to large scale incident

pre-plans such as airport emergencies alongside FDNY.  

View my website @ http://www.unyquefiretrucks.com/NY_Menu.html & scroll down to VFDNY,  you'll see links to all the Queens depts. & the only VFD remaining in Brooklyn ("The Borough of Fire"). These profiles were done before Hurricane Sandy in 2012 so the apparatus shown have all since been replaced with new rigs or donated rigs adapted to each dept's individual needs. I also recently profiled the only remaining VFD in the Bronx (there were formerly two), view their profile @ http://www.unyquefiretrucks.com/Edgewater_Park.html 

Hope this info answers your questions regarding VFDNY. Fireman