Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilton Head Island per request
They don't have much variety anymore! There are 2- 103' Spartan Quints at Engine 1 & 5. Engines 2,3,4,6,7 & 8 are All Spartan Engines the same. The new engines have 1,500 GPM pumps, a twin-agent Class A/Class B onboard FoamPro proportioning system, 500 GPM booster tanks, and fully enclosed tool and ladder storage. The compartment layouts are standardized as well.

Current hose loads are:

Front bumper/trash line - 100 ft. 1.75 inch hose with a fog tip in a horseshoe load. 100 additional feet dead-loaded in the bottom of the compartment. This compartment has a treadplate cover.

Two 1.75-inch crosslays with fog tips, over the pump.

1,000 GPM capacity deck pipe, top mounted. The deck pipe is offset to the driver's side to accomodate the vertical exhaust stack on the officer's side.

Two 2.5-inch preconnects in the rear bed. They are currently 400 feet. One has a fog tip, the other has a gated wye. There is additional 2.5 inch hose dead-loaded under the preconnects. There is also a short bed of 2.5 inch on the right rear over the internal ladder rack. These sections are for FDC and sprinkler feeds, etc.

The supply load is still 5-inch LDH. We carry 1050 feet, in the bed and a 25-foot pony in a compartment. We're considering moving the 50-foot section to a compartment.

The pumps have automatic controls, rear-mount LDH intakes, and some other nice features like a flow meter for the handlines and color coded valves and hose on the preconnects.

New Engine 3

<p style="margin-left:0px;background-color:transparent;font-size:13px;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-align:left;">[Image: HiltonHeadIslandEngine3102408.jpg]

<p style="margin-left:0px;background-color:transparent;font-size:13px;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-align:left;"> 

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">Photo by Chief Ben Waller, HHIFD

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;"> 

<p style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;">The newest addition is Truck 6 which is a rechassis and refurbed former Atlanta 100' Spartan/LTI tiller.

Would love to see the other rigs even if they are all the same .
Trey White
Thanks for the info, that's makes 2 tillers now right? I saw a video of the ALF reserve and it looks like it's had a light refurb.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
The ALF tiller was bought from NorthEast Fire Apparatus in 99 I believe. It is now their reserve aerial. I haven't gotten over there to take a photo of the "new" T6.

Quote:<p style="margin:0px;">The newest addition is Truck 6 which is a rechassis and refurbed former Atlanta 100' Spartan/LTI tiller.
That aerial is actually a 110' LTI.  Atlanta purchased five of them in the early 1990's.
The spare tiller with the ALF tractor was originally Manhasset-Lakeville (NY) FD 1980 (approx. date) Kenworth tractor, 100' LTI aerial, Grumman bodywork. It was re-tractored and refurbed before going to Hilton Head. MLFD replaced it in 1999 with a 93' Spartan LTI midmount tower ladder.   

So the ALF and Spartan tillers were both rechassised? I'd love to see more pictures if anyone has them, even of the tillers before they were refurbished.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
So someone correct me if I'm wrong but currently there are only three TDA's in-service in the state of SC. 

Two in Hilton Head

One in Charleston

I have heard one is being ordered for the North Spartanburg FD. Can anyone confirm that?

Quote:So someone correct me if I'm wrong but currently there are only three TDA's in-service in the state of SC. 

Two in Hilton Head

One in Charleston

I have heard one is being ordered for the North Spartanburg FD. Can anyone confirm that?

That would be really awesome if North Spatanburg got a TDA. Their rear mount platform is probably due for replacement soon.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Quote:So the ALF and Spartan tillers were both rechassised? I'd love to see more pictures if anyone has them, even of the tillers before they were refurbished.

Trav!
I have posted pics of both older tillers on Firepics.  One is in This & That, post #695 and the other is in Once is not enough, post #111.
I've photographed most everything at Hilton Head Island while on vacation over the last several years. 

The former Atlanta tiller was completely refurbished by Crimson in 2013 with a new 2012 Spartan Metro Star tractor. 

It is Truck 6, the frontline unit.  The old ALF mutt is a reserve, Truck 7. 

It has been a long time since I've posted on here.  Let me see if I can figure out how to downsize my images...

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

I've photographed most everything at Hilton Head Island while on vacation over the last several years. 

The former Atlanta tiller was completely refurbished by Crimson in 2013 with a new 2012 Spartan Metro Star tractor. 

It is Truck 6, the frontline unit.  The old ALF mutt is a reserve, Truck 7. 

It has been a long time since I've posted on here.  Let me see if I can figure out how to downsize my images...

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Attached Files Image(s)

HHI also has a new brush rig.  Brush 1 was completed by Deep South in 2013 on a Ford F-550 4x4 chassis with 250-gpm pump, 300-gallon water tank, and 25-gallon foam system.

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Attached Files Image(s)

The HHI Airport is actually run by Beaufort County and they have their own ARFF division.  The main rig is this 2005 Oshkosh T-1500. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Attached Files Image(s)

A couple of years ago Swampscott, Massachusetts bought one of the new engines from Hilton Head.

Quote:A couple of years ago Swampscott, Massachusetts bought one of the new engines from Hilton Head.
They placed a couple of the 10 Engines they ordered up for sale.  The plan was to have separate engine and ladder companies, but budget problems got in the way so they ordered two Quints, one for Station 1 Forest Beach and one for Station 5 Hilton Head Plantation. They now have only one Truck Company 6 and two quints to go with 5 Engine Companies and a couple of the new engines as reserves.  One of the new engines, Engine 8 is staffed as needed for coverage when units are at training or they have a special event to cover.
Great shots. Does anyone have call volume stats for Hilton Head? I know it is by far medical with the retirement population and golf communities, but just curious how many runs they do yearly. Always been impressed by their fleet and stations. Thanks! drew

Drew James
GA Paramedic
Here is a link to some old pics of what I believe is now Hilton Head's spare tiller.  I knew it as Manhasset-Lakeville NY FD Ladder 22.  It was a Kenworth - Grumman - LTI - 100' tiller.  The build date was approximately 1980.

http://mlfd.smugmug.com/Apparatus/Retire...ller-8722/

They responded to 6500 calls in 2013, with about 4400 of those medical.  When they do have fires, they are good ones.  I've always been very impressed with the department.  They are very modern, progressive, and extremely well trained. 

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY