Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toneslider's 2014 Apparatus Photos
Quote:Carrabassett Valley in Maine has a very similar unit, about the same age too, 4x4 as well, but their body was built by V-Tec and I think they have a pump and a very small water tank, I want to say 150 gallons....after seeing that unit I'd never think I'd see a unit like that again, guess I was wrong.    Also, on Engine 5, is it possible that bracket was for a bell?  I was originally thinking mars light but its only on one side so that would have been odd.  Great photos
I once had photos of the Carrabassett rig, I believe it even had a rear mount pump which made it even more unique.  Am I nuts in that recollection?
Quote:I once had photos of the Carrabassett rig, I believe it even had a rear mount pump which made it even more unique.  Am I nuts in that recollection?
I don't remember but would not be surprised, V-Tec has a thing for doing rear-mounted pumps so its very possible, I do remember looking at it and the pump is well hidden or disguised, the only thing to the naked eye that tells you its not a straight ladder truck is the water tank and fill tower is very much visible.  
If I remember correctly theres a Pierce Rearmount on the Outer Banks of NC with super Single rears. Dave could you explain the braking ability advantage to me? I've never heard that before.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:If I remember correctly theres a Pierce Rearmount on the Outer Banks of NC with super Single rears. Dave could you explain the braking ability advantage to me? I've never heard that before.

I believe he was referring to the dual axles for braking ability, not the super singles.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:If I remember correctly theres a Pierce Rearmount on the Outer Banks of NC with super Single rears. Dave could you explain the braking ability advantage to me? I've never heard that before.
The only one I can think of is the one at Duck.  That one is a Pierce All-Steer, in which case the reason behind that setup is maneuverability, not braking or flotation.  The other apparatus I referred to in the earlier post do have super singles, but I was talking about the fact that they had tandem rear axles.  In the case of increased braking performance, four rear brakes are better than two.  In the case of increased flotation, four large "footprints" float better than four or eight smaller ones.  Skinny tires (dual wheels) tend to dig in, not float.

Quote: 

I believe he was referring to the dual axles for braking ability, not the super singles.
That would be correct.