Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1981 Mack CF686
After my dad watched me get bitten by the fire engine bug over the past couple of years, he started getting the itch. Now, you have to understand that the only exposure that my dad has to the fire service is having served as the treasurer of our VFD for the past 8 years, and listening to my war stories. He was hesitant to get into the hobby, but since he was able to purchase this very well maintained 1981 Mack CF from Chesterfield Fire Department, he's taken to it like a fish to water. It's really been neat to see him get into the hobby!

About the rig: it's a 1981 Mack CF686 (CF686F15-1439) that was spec'd by the Enon Volunteer Fire Department (Company 6) and purchased by Chesterfield County. It served as their 2nd out-engine, and was designated Unit 64. In those days, any rig that ended with a "4" meant that it had a 1500gpm pump. When Chesterfield changed all of their unit designations in the early-to-mid 2000's, it was then designated E-206. When some apparatus moves were made, and some new rigs purchased, this became a training academy piece (E-36), and was stored at nearby Station 18. The rig saw little use while at training, and wasn't abused like many of them usually are.

Here's the rig as it appeared while in service, photo courtesy of Tom Shand:

[Image: chesterfield%20engine%2064-L.jpg]
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
About 2 years ago, I shot the rig at Station 18, where it was wearing the magnetic markers of the Training Division.

[Image: chesterfield%20e36%20ex-e64-L.jpg]

In this photo, you can get an idea of the shape that the paint and lettering were in. Notice the rust in the step well, and large gouge in the paint near the logo. Mechanically, the rig was/is in great shape.

[Image: dsc_6336-L.jpg]
Taylor Goodman
Over the past couple of years, Chesterfield has gotten rid of a large number of Macks. When the second batch went became available, we went down and looked at all of them, and this 1981 was by far the best of the lot. Thanks to GovDeals, he was able to secure it at a great price.

Here's how she looked when the paperwork was signed on August 8, 2010, and we prepared to leave the training center to bring it home.

[Image: 8-8-10%20pick%20up%20from%20chfd%201-L.jpg]

[Image: 8-8-10%20pick%20up%20from%20chfd-L.jpg]
Taylor Goodman
After dad got it home, we was really debating what to do first. He wanted to get it painted, but if you've ever priced a fire engine paint job, it ain't cheap. Well, it turns out that a friend of mine volunteers with a guy that works at a heavy truck paint facility. Dad and this guy talk some, and the guy agrees to paint the rig for the cost of materials only since it was a fire truck, and the painter happens to also volunteer in Chesterfield. It was a real stroke of luck.

Naturally, once the rig is painted, it needs graphics. Thanks to ODHFS member Tommy Herman, who is also a Chesterfield volunteer and owns a handful of ex-Chesterfield rigs, dad was able to get a set of original door graphics. We took these to a graphics shop next door to our VFD, and he agreed to duplicate them and install everything for $500. They came out great if I might say so myself.

Here are photos taken of it as it appears today!

[Image: chesterfield%20e17%20quantum-2-L.jpg]

[Image: chesterfield%20e17%20quantum-6-L.jpg]
Taylor Goodman
Close-up of the final graphics:

[Image: chesterfield%20e17%20quantum-3-L.jpg]

[Image: chesterfield%20e17%20quantum-4-L.jpg]
Taylor Goodman
Greatest name in the fire service industry:

[Image: chesterfield%20e17%20quantum-5-L.jpg]

The guys at the Enon VFD have been great. They gave dad all of the original specs, manuals, maintenance records, several nozzles, an original backboard, adapters, couplings, fittings, and the most unorthodox foam nozzle I've ever seen in my career. Summer plans include taking the strobes off the upper rear stanchions and replacing them with original teardrop rotators, purchasing and mounting a foam educator and foam applicator nozzle over the driver's side compartments, fixing a little rust in the right front compartment, and finding an era-specific Motorola for the cab. It'll also hit the parade circuit soon...wave if you see it!
Taylor Goodman
Taylor nice ride. Guess you guys are starting your own fire department huh?

I have a photo of it,as 206, some one sent to me.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
[quote name='Roto-Ray' timestamp='1303615758' post='436498']

Greatest name in the fire service industry:

I have to agree with you 100%. Not a better chassis was ever made.

[Image: chesterfield%20e17%20quantum-5-L.jpg]

The guys at the Enon VFD have been great. They gave dad all of the original specs, manuals, maintenance records, several nozzles, an original backboard, adapters, couplings, fittings, and the most unorthodox foam nozzle I've ever seen in my career. Summer plans include taking the strobes off the upper rear stanchions and replacing them with original teardrop rotators, purchasing and mounting a foam educator and foam applicator nozzle over the driver's side compartments, fixing a little rust in the right front compartment, and finding an era-specific Motorola for the cab. It'll also hit the parade circuit soon...wave if you see it!

[/quote]
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Good photos and history lesson.

tHANKs
tHANKs
VERY Nice job. Looks great!!!!!!
Can you get some cab shots? nice truck!
Taylor,

Why didn't you stop off at Winchester on the way home after picking it up? Ok, maybe a bit out of the way but I was hoping to continue the tradition of the Mack purchases within the family. Very nice looking CF. Looking forward to getting my own photos.

Mike Sanders
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Nice Mack!! You makin the trip to Pump Primers? It would be awesome to see that Mack and the Landover Mack make the trip! How far north do you go for Parades/Musters?