Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierce DashCF Question????
Hello all,

My department is putting together a spec committee for a new areial tower. Admin is looking for a rearmount but we have issues with height requirements. They also want to stick with Pierce and i'm looking at suggesting the Dash CF Chassis. Seeing the demo straight stick and the drawings I think it would be a good platform for our tower. I know it has been out for a little over 2 years and i'm looking for pros and cons, maintanence issues and bugs/other issues of the chassis. I know there have been a few delivered and appreciate any help that you all can provide. 

Thanks,

Droop(AKA Branden)

Run, run away from the CF. just my opinion. My department has bought two of these chassis, both rescue/pumpers. One has the DD13 motor, one a cummins. They have been maintenance nightmares. The fuel gauge on both have not worked, there have been electrical issues, the trucks won't get out of their own way, the engine with the Cummins has already had a turbo replaced. I could go on......
Rob Pryor, Captain

Wilmington, DE Fire Department

Firefighter, Five Points Fire Company, New Castle County, DE Station 17

http://www.facebook....p?id=1435317177

In Memory of Lieutenant Chris Leach, Engine 6-D, Senior Firefighter Jerry Fickes, Squad 4-C, and Senior Firefighter Ardy Hope Engine 5-C LODD 9-24-2016.

In Memory of P/M Stephanie Callaway "Gigglemedic", Sussex County EMS Medic #1357, LODD 6-17-08
Rob, these sound like motor/drivetrain issues along with cab/chassis issues?

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Who makes the cab/chassis?

Quote:Who makes the cab/chassis?

Pierce
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
There are quite a few issues, yes, some are motor/drivetrain, but others would seem to not be. First and foremost, we have several Dash units of the 06 & 07 vintage that have performed quite well, and several have taken a pretty severe beating. The new Dash CFs, not so much. Separate from the motor/drivetrain issues are some electrical/computer issues, the fuel gauge in both not working (going on a year for this issue). Just overall, a lot of "little" issues that have left a bad taste. It seems like both of them gave been out if service quite a few times. I hope that the issues will get straightened out, because, overall I like the product that Pierce puts out, just not the CF.
Rob Pryor, Captain

In Memory of Lieutenant Chris Leach, Engine 6-D, Senior Firefighter Jerry Fickes, Squad 4-C, and Senior Firefighter Ardy Hope Engine 5-C LODD 9-24-2016.

In Memory of P/M Stephanie Callaway "Gigglemedic", Sussex County EMS Medic #1357, LODD 6-17-08
Quote:Just overall, a lot of "little" issues that have left a bad taste.

I assure you, it's not just the CF, and it's not all out of the Wisconsin factory either  :rant:

Trav!
We just took delivery of an Impel pumper and had very few issues upon final inspection. I believe we had a total of 4 issues most were minor paint, finish. The worst was a 12v light that went out and had to be replaced. I don't think the electrical issues are confined to Pierce or the Dash CF. It seems we have added and/or regulated ourselves into way too much electrical equipment on our apparatus. The Ohio manufacturer is having electrical issues with their engines in a neighboring department.

I don't disagree that it isn't just a Pierce issue.  I have been involved with numerous Pierce's over the last 25 years, and for the most part, they have all exeeded expectations.  Our 2006 class of apparatus (5 engines, 1 TDA and 1 mid-mount tower) have all pretty much held up to the test, with the exception of the tower, which has been more of a departmental spec issue than a Pierce issue (way too big for the urban environment in which it lives).  The two CFs have been an exception, and continue to be.  True, one of them was a demo and not specifically designed for our department.  However, the second CF was designed by our apparatus committee and it would seem that it has been out of service more than in.  This includes the recent replacement of broken leaf springs.  The fuel gauges on both still don't work, and this is almost a year into the first squads life with the department.  Maybe it's me, but I just don't like them and they seem to be a maintenance nightmare that just won't go away.  Hopefully these issues are isolated and, just bad luck on our part.  But it kinda makes you wonder.

Rob Pryor, Captain

Let me elborate a little on my reply- what I mean to say is, we've had WAY more issues with our Pierce (Saber) than just the electrical. That being said, you all are correct, about every manufacturer has their problems anymore. Ferrara- LITERALLY fall apart and ride like tanks, KME- It wouldn't be fair if I started with them, and the list goes on as we all know.

Trav!