Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syracuse FD Rescue & More . . .
Thank you Chief, great stories.  Much appreciated.

Quote:Why do Rescue Company members wear white helmets?

It goes back to the days of the old Cairns "tin hats", when the Rescue Company wore silver (basically they just polished the bare aluminum). When the polycarbonate helmets came into use, silver wasn't a color choice. Engines wore black, Truckies wore red, and the Squad Company had already taken yellow.  That didn't leave too many other choices, so they went with white. The Chiefs briefly objected, but in the end it was not that big a deal.
Great info and History lesson Chief... I used to hear stories from my dad back in the day when they lived on james St. and how he described the sound of the old paystar R-1 as it screamed up the roads... on a side note, due to ever increasing size of the units was there or is there any talk of going back to a two man cab and crew riding in the back end as in the early days...
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Quote:Great info and History lesson Chief... I used to hear stories from my dad back in the day when they lived on james St. and how he described the sound of the old paystar R-1 as it screamed up the roads... on a side note, due to ever increasing size of the units was there or is there any talk of going back to a two man cab and crew riding in the back end as in the early days...

Oh, it's been talked about, of course - mainly by the Rescue Company personnel who would very much prefer it that way. However, the only apparatus that should be used is one where every person has a proper seat with a seat belt. Sitting on a bench in the box, while part of the romance of firefighting, is simply not safe. I was always asked to go back to the "crew in the box" configuration and my answer was always no.
Chief...

Thank you for sharing your informative and insightful details about the history of the Syracuse Fire Department.  As I recall, there was a 135' E\-One Aerial as part of the SFD's Rescue Company.  Would you please take a few minutes to discuss the decision making process for assigning this apparatus to the Rescue Company, how and when it was deployed and plans for its future.

Thanks a million!

Quote:Chief...

Thank you for sharing your informative and insightful details about the history of the Syracuse Fire Department.  As I recall, there was a 135' E-One Aerial as part of the SFD's Rescue Company.  Would you please take a few minutes to discuss the decision making process for assigning this apparatus to the Rescue Company, how and when it was deployed and plans for its future.

Thanks a million!

I suppose discussing that particular unit would best be covered under the "Rescue Company" umbrella - so here goes:

In the mid-1970s, the Syracuse Fire Department decided to augment its complement of tower ladders with a single straight aerial. This type of apparatus had always been superior to tower ladders at evacuating larger numbers of people from upper stories – and even though this was a rare occurrence, it was felt that it was a need that should be addressed. The SFD still had a couple of straight sticks in the fleet as reserve units, and it was decided that one of these should be assigned to the Rescue Company along with an additional man, binging their on-duty strength to seven men per shift. The unit would be known as the Rescue Truck, and would be due to all of the target hazard high-rise buildings in the City of Syracuse where large-scale evacuations from upper stories may be required, such as high-rise apartments, the city’s numerous hospitals, or the large number of Syracuse University dormitories. It could also be taken on any call at the Rescue Officer’s discretion, whenever he felt it may be of use, or also by special call from the fireground commander.  Accordingly, in 1976, the 1968 Seagrave Model KT 100’ mid-mount aerial (#R-4385) that had served at Truck 1 became the first Rescue Truck. It proved to be just as useful in operation as envisioned . . . it wasn’t needed often, but when it was, it was a nice tool for the fireground commander to have in his box.

[Image: Original%20Rescue%20Truck%201_zps12elbqla.jpg]

This original unit, which was 8 years old when it was re-designated as the Rescue Truck, was going to need eventual replacement.  It was decided to replace it sooner rather than later, as a very similar 1972 Seagrave Model PT 100’ mid-mount aerial, (#B-73185), which had served briefly at Truck 2 when new, had recently been replaced with Truck 2’s first Sutphen tower. This aerial had been the last unit ordered by the SFD before the Reorganization Plan was put into effect, bringing aerial towers to all of the city truck companies. So, in mid-May of 1976 the 1972 Seagrave replaced the 1968 as the new Rescue Truck. It is pictured here late in its career, a little battered and worse for wear, and in need of replacement. But with what?

[Image: RESCUE%20TRUCK%201_zps1tusieci.jpg]

After a number of years, by the mid-1980s it was apparent that the combination of 90’ aerial towers and a 100’ ladder was a good combination . . . but when Emergency-One introduced its 135’ aerial to the fire service, this was seen as a way to further enhance the reach and versatility of the Rescue Truck. One of the 27 built (#3984) was acquired by the Syracuse Fire Department in 1985, at a cost new of $315,000. This unit would remain in service for many years, before eventually failing its annual certification test in 2015 and going to auction. Over its nearly 30-year career it didn’t respond to a huge number of alarms, but when it was called upon, it always did the job.  As a fireground commander, I always appreciated having that “extra reach” available if necessary.

[Image: SyracuseRAr_zps7dwfw0ty.jpg]

It was repainted to the SFD dark red paint scheme later in its career, and eventually became separated from the Rescue Company altogether to be operated and set up at fire scenes by the Squad Company and quartered with them.  In this assignment it was renamed “Ladder One”, and it is so lettered in the photo below.

[Image: SyracuseL1_zpssgxaasky.jpg]

And that was the end of a 40-year run for the Rescue Truck. As a concept, it worked pretty well. If a department can only have one aerial apparatus, I think a good case can be made for the tower ladder as being more versatile and safer to operate, both for fire personnel and those you are trying to save. However, as was mentioned above, you can get a lot more people down in a hurry with a straight stick, so if possible, it's a huge plus to have at least one in the fleet. Unfortunately, the astronomical replacement cost of the 135' ladder in 2015 would have been well over a million dollars, for a company with a very small run total every year. I could nearly have two engines for that amount of money, which would get used every day. Kind of hard to justify, which is unfortunate - but reality has a way of focusing your attention for you. My recommendation to the last three Chiefs of Fire I served under was always the same regarding the Rescue Truck: Keep it in the fleet as long as it passes its cetification every year - and the first year it doesn't, send it to auction and don't replace it. And that's what they did. Do I think something like the Rescue Truck may ever be in the plans again for the SFD? I doubt it, but hey, you never know.

Hope this answers your questions, and as always, thanks for following along - and thanks again to my friend John Kenealy for the use of his excellent photos.

Quote:A bit of a post-script . . . I have had a few private messages basically asking me, "Whatever happened to this apparatus? Where did it end up after the SFD disposed of it?"  The truest answer is that in many cases, I just don't know. Once we send them to auction, we generally lose track of them pretty quickly. In these days of big apparatus brokers, that is especially true - they could literally end up anywhere, even out of the country. I do, however, have a few "parting shots" of four of our previous rescues. I have included them below, for whatever interest there may be:

First, the 1941 COE Chevrolet "Light Squad" - This vehicle was in reserve status and quartered at Station 6 when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and my dad was driving E6. This would have been about 1961 or so. I remember playing on it as a kid when I would stop in downtown to see my dad (Yes, a kid that age was safe travelling downtown on the bus back then). Years later, when I first came on the job in 1973, it was sitting behind the Division of Maintenance, having been cut down to a flatbed for use as a utility truck in the yard. It was auctioned the next year, and I don't know where it went. It still ran, and I actually drove it a few times.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/LIGHT%20SQUAD%201941%20CHEVY%20flatbed_zpskeiunfb9.png.html">[Image: LIGHT%20SQUAD%201941%20CHEVY%20flatbed_zpskeiunfb9.png]</a>

The next vehicle is the 1977 International Paystar/ Saulsbury. It is pictured here in a broker's yard after we had disposed of it at auction in the early 1990's. It certainly is sad to see this noble beast in such a state. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi. 

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/ToSend3_zpswiwg5ee5.png.html">[Image: ToSend3_zpswiwg5ee5.png]</a>

And here we have the 1986 International/Saulsbury tandem that replaced it, and so heroically protected its crew in the rollover accident that spelled the end of its SFD career.  I agree with all of you who will say that it doesn't look that bad, and wonder whether it could have been fixed?  Trust me, the damage was more profound than it looks - absolutely everything on the vehicle had been "tweaked" just enough to require a complete rebuild of the body and frame. Also, a new rescue was already "in the pipeline", so it made little sense to spend a lot of money on the old one. It was still driveable, and the individual who purchased it at auction removed the damaged rescue body and made a 10-wheel dump truck out of it. I used to see it around on the roads south of the city for a while, but not in a long time now, so i suppose it's gone for good at this point.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/Rescue%201%20Accident_zpsrqudguia.jpg.html">[Image: Rescue%201%20Accident_zpsrqudguia.jpg]</a>

And finally, the 1997 E-One that gave us so much trouble over the years. It finally did go to auction, and at one point was up in Canada looking for a buyer. Here's a "for sale" picture of it long after it left us. Again, no idea where it is now.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/1997-E-One-Rescue-P0216401_zpsgiot0scz.jpg.html">[Image: 1997-E-One-Rescue-P0216401_zpsgiot0scz.jpg]</a>
Many years ago i came across the 77 rescue in a scrap yard in Scranton Pa. when visiting my wife's family. The yard owner wasn't to helpful and he said it wasn't for sale or wouldn't even let me look at it from the other side of the fence. The next day I drove by the scrap yard it had been moved from where you could see it from the road. 
Quote:Many years ago i came across the 77 rescue in a scrap yard in Scranton Pa. when visiting my wife's family. The yard owner wasn't to helpful and he said it wasn't for sale or wouldn't even let me look at it from the other side of the fence. The next day I drove by the scrap yard it had been moved from where you could see it from the road. 

That may well be where the picture was taken. 
Quote: 

That may well be where the picture was taken. 
that's how bootsie is! he export's everything that comes in there