Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know this rig?
Found this sitting along the road in Frederick, MD. on Rt 144 west of town advertising the tire place.

Does it look familiar to anyone?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another angle.  Note the number on the window post:

A look at the plates:

1976 Ward LaFrance Ultravision 1250/1000 #80-1321, Ex-New Egypt,NJ then Gatlinburg,TN. It was just sold this year from Gatlinburg.

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Quote:1976 Ward LaFrance Ultravision 1250/1000 #80-1321, Ex-New Egypt,NJ then Gatlinburg,TN. It was just sold this year from Gatlinburg.
Thanks, that was quick!!
Here it is when it was in Gatlinburg.

Mark Carr photo

Attached Files Image(s)

and in New Egypt. from my collection. taken Oct 1977

I love how this works!

The first, last, and only time I've been to Gatlinburg this truck was on the apron and they were putting a new hosebed cover on it, with safety stripes. Imagine a 1976, and it has a safety stripe covered hose bed on it! Shrug

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:The first, last, and only time I've been to Gatlinburg this truck was on the apron and they were putting a new hosebed cover on it, with safety stripes. Imagine a 1976, and it has a safety stripe covered hose bed on it! Shrug

Trav!
You don't plan on visiting Gatlinburg again?   We plan on going to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge next Spring for our first time in 7 years.   35,000 guest rooms in the former and 30,000 in the latter.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
Quote:You don't plan on visiting Gatlinburg again?   We plan on going to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge next Spring for our first time in 7 years.   35,000 guest rooms in the former and 30,000 in the latter.

My apologies, in saying first, last, and only time, I meant to say first, (most recent) and only time going to Gatlinburg. I did enjoy it, the scenery was beautiful, and that was in March as snow was melting. I'd like to go in the Summer when everything is colorful and lush!

I have to say one of the more interesting stations I've ever been to, in the way of positioning apparatus, was Sevierville's downtown station, it actually looked more like a maintenance shop with all of the trucks just backed in.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
That's ok Travis.   We did pass by the Gatlinburg firehouse on Easter Sunday morning in 2007 while on the way to visit family near Asheville NC, about 90 minutes east.   As we were staying in Pigoen Forge just had to take a look at their firehouse too finding it to be nice from a drive by point of view but I seem to remember a chain link fence around it with an electric gate.   When we left to head home to NJ, we took a road from Sevierville east toward English Mountain, passing by the humongous bean processing plant of the Bush family.  In Sevierville we saw at least one school with a high chain link fence surrounding it and an electric gate.  Back home at the PD I mentioned it with a captain saying that's part of coming Homeland Security requirements with different areas given different schedules for implementing the myriad of requirements one of which is fencing at schools, police stations and firehouse.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
Quote:  In Sevierville we saw at least one school with a high chain link fence surrounding it and an electric gate.  Back home at the PD I mentioned it with a captain saying that's part of coming Homeland Security requirements with different areas given different schedules for implementing the myriad of requirements one of which is fencing at schools, police stations and firehouse.

I think that either he's mistaken or privy to some highly classified information that no one else has.  If DHS was mandating even more unfunded mandates like this, police and fire chiefs across the US would revolt.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA